KaKaRoTo created first PS3 Custom Firmware

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have to sell my second 360 now, it's banned thanks to AP25 before LT+, anyway pawn shop here i come.
maybe i can put the cash down on a ps3 if they got one.
also free games would be nice but if you want it now and can't wait just buy a jailbreak dongle, signed homebrew would be better.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
nice, no more power+reset and i see no reason to not update now
tongue.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
antwill said:
Rasas said:
Piracy is going to happen if someone makes a backup loader so lets just drop the piracy issue.
Or you could just buy your games and quit complaining like a normal person who doesn't have entitlement issues...

DEAL WITH IT
OR you could just keep doing what you do and we'll keep doing what we do how about that?!
ff-deal-with-it.png

Gitaroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ken Kutaragi original vision for Playstation was to go licence free, and solely making money off the hardware, accessories and their own games. The PS3 is sold at a profit now, maybe they are going back to his plan XD. Honestly, I don't think PSOne and PS2 will ever reach the 100+ millions system sold it wasn't for piracy in a lot of countries, even the Wii and DS. David Reeves, former SCEE boss said piracy did help the PSP in someway.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Why do people even bring up piracy? You're not going to convince anyone one way or the other... You may as well start a pro choice discussion, I'm sure you'll get just as far!

Anyway this is still exciting but please call me when we can have online, backups, and homebrew all in one package
biggrin.gif

Dead Ghost

Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy will be bad for Sony, no matter how you look at it. And it will be bad for us too, as we'll get less exclusive games then before.

Anyway, changing the subject now, how well do you think the Cell cpu could run custom emulators for modern systems, like PS2 and Wii? I mean, if someone codes a specific version of such an emulator for PS3, how will it compare to existing emulators for the PC (running on a 3-4 GHz x86 CPU)?

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
ComplicatioN said:
Does it work if you upgrade from a jailbroken 3.41 to an official 3.55 through the PS3 Network Update?
It should.

QUOTE(tails100 @ Jan 5 2011, 10:31 PM) A PIRATES LIFE IS THE LIFE FOR ME! A BOTTLE OF WIN YARR!
Teh piraets lief is teh lief for meh! Yo ho ho and a bottl of win!

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
Dead Ghost said:
Piracy will be bad for Sony
BS

piracy = ps3 sales!

While true, confidence in Sony will fall. Game Dev's maybe aren't gonna want to develop for the PS3 unless it's more secure despite the fact that the release of the private keys will send sales through the roof for a while.

Worst case scenario, nobody makes official games for PS3 any more and it becomes a very powerful Homebrew device. I actually don't want that to happen...

Just as an after thought, Now that all the PSP models are open for homebrew Dev's, what does that mean for things like the Dingoo A320/A330? I know they weren't really a threat to Sony's PSP, but they had the ability to play retro Emulators quite freely. Now the PSPs can do the same, who's gonna buy a Dingoo??

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
antwill said:
Or you could just buy your games and quit complaining like a normal person who doesn't have entitlement issues...

You know I used to totally agree. Then I got sick of all the shovelware on the PS2 (It had more crap than the Wii), and then got ripped off with ID's paid for tech demo Doom 3. Since then I haven't bought a game without playing it first. That either means borrowing or pirating, and seeing as lending a game is illegal I'd rather not put my friends at risk. I also buy used games, which is also illegal, but that's only putting the shop at risk and they make money taking that risk.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SixtySixHundred said:
While true, confidence in Sony will fall. Game Dev's maybe aren't gonna want to develop for the PS3 unless it's more secure despite the fact that the release of the private keys will send sales through the roof for a while.
i would agree but the fact no console is secure as of now this gen doesn't make this a sound argument, that makes it just not as sound as you think it is...

examples...
QUOTEThey can go to wii?

one word: HACKED

They can go to 360?

again hacked...

They can go to PC?

this is hacked as well

They can go to DS/PSP?

both hacked long ago...

They can move development to 3DS?

only really temporary option till it's inevitably hacked do to the fact it is clearly going to be popular.

The smart move would be stay put do to cost of porting the current code they have completed to other systems or even the cost of starting from scratch on what ever IP the 3rd party is developing.

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
wolffangalchemist said:
SixtySixHundred said:
i would agree but the fact no console is secure as of now this gen doesn't make this a sound argument, but it's just not as sound as you think it is...

examples...
QUOTEThey can gt to wii?

one word: HACKED

They can go to 360?

again hacked...

They can go to PC?

this is hacked as well

They can go to DS/PSP?

both hacked long ago...

They can move development to 3DS?
only really temporary option till it's inevitably hacked do to the fact it is clearly going to be popular.

The smart move would be stay put do to cost of porting the current code they have completed to other systems or even the cost of starting from scratch on what ever IP the 3rd party is developing.

It's the release of the private keys that will send Dev's running for the hills. All consoles have their flaws in security, (the Wii has laughable security as we all know) but AFAIK no console has ever had it's private keys discovered, (while the console still in production, if at all). This is truly an Epic Fail on Sony's part.

I was over-simplifying things too, I know it's never going to be that 'black and white', but I can't stress enough how much of a monumental cock-up Sony have made.

Hacking and Piracy are two different creatures to you and me, but game Dav's don't see it that way, I'm sure..

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
easycrashing said:
omatic said:
I agree - this is a biggie. This has the potential to make the PS3 even easier to run backups on than the Wii or the DS,

Other than PS3 games being way bigger in file size
rolleyes.gif

Not really by much, the average PS3 game torrent is about 8 gig. Not many games have needed BluRay. Swapping discs is only an issue if you have to do it every few minutes of game play, not every 10-20 hours.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat