Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jefffisher said:
pyrmon24 said:
Can anyone confirm to me that piracy isn't as bad as the companies make it look? Or am I just deluded?
wii games still sell don't they? that's proof enough
Good, I was just worried that JPH73 knew something I didn't, which lead him to say I was kidding myself. And since I love to be right, I just had to make sure.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem isn't the piracy its that it CANNOT be stopped in this case. that's why i'm loving it and i don't have a ps3. im going to be getting one in the near future if i can afford it. this is awesome.

anyone if this will apply to any future updates or is that not forseeable yet?

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
VashTS said:
the problem isn't the piracy its that it CANNOT be stopped in this case. that's why i'm loving it and i don't have a ps3. im going to be getting one in the near future if i can afford it. this is awesome.

anyone if this will apply to any future updates or is that not forseeable yet?
It is possible to be stopped. Just difficult as hell. And inconvenient. But possible. Though whatever they do to stop it could get a workaround and THEN they'd be kinda fucked.
Well, now I know what to do with the 200$ I was saving.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One problem with this is that there are only two icons under "game" now instead of the usual 10 or so. Kakaroto either meant to do that or that was a mistake. . .

LegendarySkitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...how long until someone makes CFW that will install unsigned pkgs or at least play backups...? Hypothetical question, btw. Not really asking. I'm more intrigued to watch the PS3 and PSP scenes explode.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LegendarySkitch said:
Hmm...how long until someone makes CFW that will install unsigned pkgs or at least play backups...? Hypothetical question, btw. Not really asking. I'm more intrigued to watch the PS3 and PSP scenes explode.

well you are asking. Who knows? The scene is really exploding and at this rate not longer than a few weeks.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
pyrmon24 said:
Can anyone confirm to me that piracy isn't as bad as the companies make it look? Or am I just deluded?

In that Fail0verflow conference video, before talking about the PS3 security breakdown people were showing some results on the homebrew scene.

They came up with this number: Wii´s homebrew channel has 1 million users.

The wii sold almost 80million units around the globe.... i dont think 1 million pirates is that much of a deal.

Also, using homebrew channel dosent mean people stop buying games altogether.

Also, how many wiis got bricked in this run? And the consumer needed another wii and installed another HBC (not that many, i know. Like what? 5000 around the globe?)

Fact is... i dont believe piracy is ruining the wii or the 360 that much... but i do believe it takes a huge blow on the DS.

Because DS piracy is ridiculously easy to do! Just pop in a cartrige and bang, its done.

But HBCs, USBLoaders, WADs, CiOS, JTags... that stuff is kinda more complex.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
LegendarySkitch said:
I see it happening within the month.
It's only been, what, a week since the keys were found? And we already have a CFW. Missing a few things surely, but a CFW nonetheless. Imagine what they could do in a month.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
pyrmon24 said:
Great, now I need to buy a PS3 xD
it won't be long for me too
smileipb2.png

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
SPH73 said:
pyrmon24 said:
SPH73 said:
Awesome for gamers.

Sucks for Sony and PS3 devs.

The homebrew explosion is going to be incredible.
It doesn't suck for them THAT much. Piracy isn't really as bad as they make it sound. And Homebrew would only boost the sales of the PS3.

You're kidding yourself. This is a very big deal.

yup way more people are gonna be buying ps3's.

Nah. Piracy + Homebrew didn't help the Dreamcast or the original Xbox.

But on the other hand, piracy was the only reason to own a PSP. But is surely didn't help the development scene. There were many months without a decent PSP release. I still remember when IGN awarded PSP game of the month to "nothing."

This is definitely PSP all over again. Great for us, sucks for devs and sony.

Link00y

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The German Microsoft product manager once explained why Homebrew isn't helping a console at all:

Most consoles are sold below value or with MINIMAL profit. Profit is made via games. Thus even if a console is used just for homebrew you don't give profit to Sony.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I'm tearing up... Finally after 6 months of non-use I can have fun with my PS3 again
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr