JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just another quick note regarding charging (yes im on the Dingoonity boards as well lol). You CAN charge by USB. But not directly. You can use one of these. Im sure they would be readily available somewhere near you :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable...blet_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item3a894eedaa

I dont have one personally but I know someone who does and they just use it with a 2 amp USB charger and it works a treat. (He was concerned about the AC adapter which came with it also as he had one of the earlier models)

Uh, do they have that product in the US eBay? I don't have the kind of currency it's asking for ;) And it turns out the G5A doesn't have any issues with the AC or USB charging, Skelton just talked to me about that :P I know you're on those boards now, I saw ya earlier :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah! lol

Yeah Ebay.com do them, S7300 and S7800 are the same AC fittings

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2A-USB-C...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8139e9bf

Not bad at all, I kinda with the S7800 was just a little cheaper, $160 compared to $110 is a significant difference with my budget ;) :P Thanks! So, there's no data USB cable, guess I gotta get an SD card reader (my laptop has one, but it's kinda pain to have to use it every time I want to use an SD card).

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suppose it depends how long you want to wait I guess. If you get from Dinodirect (which is China based) then they can be had for $139 with free shipping

Oh, this! http://www.dinodirect.com/s7800-qua...-2g-8-game-android-4-2-hdmi-3d-p36270352.html I might pay for USPS though since it'd get here a lot faster (and I lack patience :D ) either that or FedEx, since they're pretty reliable. Sure, a bit more money, but it'll be faster. No idea how much the free shipping will take to get here since I'm in the US. Then there's EMS as well. Both DinoDirect and GeekBuying have really high reseller ratings (both are average of 9.0), good sign for sure!

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, this! http://www.dinodirect.com/s7800-qua...-2g-8-game-android-4-2-hdmi-3d-p36270352.html I might pay for USPS though since it'd get here a lot faster (and I lack patience :D ) either that or FedEx, since they're pretty reliable. Sure, a bit more money, but it'll be faster. No idea how much the free shipping will take to get here since I'm in the US. Then there's EMS as well. Both DinoDirect and GeekBuying have really high reseller ratings (both are average of 9.0), good sign for sure!

I've not used Dinodirect myself as mine came from within the UK but two of my friends who got one before me both got theirs from Dinodirect so I can vouch for a good service for them. Dinodirect actively post over on the dingoonity forums as well occasionally.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not used Dinodirect myself as mine came from within the UK but two of my friends who got one before me both got theirs from Dinodirect so I can vouch for a good service for them. Dinodirect actively post over on the dingoonity forums as well occasionally.

I'll go with FedEx, as the free shipping will take anywhere from 15-30 days, so yeah, screw that lol.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'll go with FedEx, as the free shipping will take anywhere from 15-30 days, so yeah, screw that lol.

Still not decided which one to go for though aye? lol

With me, I already own a note 2 as a mobile, and I considered that playing any kind of retro games would be a backwards step on a smaller screen than my actual mobile! I dont think I could play on a 5 inch screen anymore.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still not decided which one to go for though aye? lol

With me, I already own a note 2 as a mobile, and I considered that playing any kind of retro games would be a backwards step on a smaller screen than my actual mobile! I dont think I could play on a 5 inch screen anymore.

Irrespective of which one I choose, there's gonna be a downside as neither are perfect by any means, so no, I'm still undecided, and since it's my first Android device, I want the best first experience possible ;) So yeah, as my first mobile, I don't want to inadvertently empty all my money from my account (well, neither would actually do that per se, but you know :D ) the 5" screen wouldn't be that much of an issue to me.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Irrespective of which one I choose, there's gonna be a downside as neither are perfect by any means, so no, I'm still undecided, and since it's my first Android device, I want the best first experience possible ;) So yeah, as my first mobile, I don't want to inadvertently empty all my money from my account (well, neither would actually do that per se, but you know :D ) the 5" screen wouldn't be that much of an issue to me.

Having played with so far 3 different android devices... 1 of those weird HDMI behind the TV dongle ones, I kind of didn't like that one at all. Not what I thought it would be.

The other 2 are tablets one is a 5 inch one and a 10.1 inch deal, both of those improved my respect for the platform a lot. (Also they where much newer versions of Android.)

Deciding between the two is a tough choice.

Both will do pretty much the same for emulation, so I would call that a tie with maybe a slight tip on the side for the S7800 having more RAM. Not useful right now but who knows what will come out next year that might require that extra gig of RAM. (That's a question mark though because it's all theory until it isn't unless it never happens.... lol)

If you want to use something like XMBC on it I would say fork over the money for the extra 2 inches of screen and higher res, also for web surfing. Both of these points are completely moot if all you want is emulation though. (To me it's Android and it does so much more why not use it?)

Build quality, I have heard mixed things on the JXD, most of the video's I have watched on youtube are perfectly happy all the way around with the machine. Then there was the one guy who had to solder his power button and also replace his AC adapter. Maybe he just got a bad one... (Both of the machines are built in China so yeah.... lol) I have heard nothing about the other machine so it's all question marks there.

Also not sure if the cheaper machine has multi touch on it's screen but I did read that the JXD has 5 point multi touch (Other than pinch to zoom I have no clue what it's good for lol)

I am waiting for my machine to come in the mail should be another week or maybe two... lol I went with Dino and free shipping.

If you want to wait a bit, I would be more than happy to share my impressions on build quality and how the controls feel. (To me that is insanely important and until I watched every youtube video on the JXD I wasn't going to touch the thing.... But all of them said the controls feel fantastic.)

Edit: One thing I am not looking forward too.... On some games and emulators they detect that you have physical buttons and controls and everything is awesome. Some you have to use that button mapping app either the one from JXD or that third party one. Then if you don't like the on screen controls in your view you have to edit some sort of files with photoshop... This is going to be true for both machines lol Ahh well at least I will only have to do it once per thing to set it up.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having played with so far 3 different android devices... 1 of those weird HDMI behind the TV dongle ones, I kind of didn't like that one at all. Not what I thought it would be.

The other 2 are tablets one is a 5 inch one and a 10.1 inch deal, both of those improved my respect for the platform a lot. (Also they where much newer versions of Android.)

Deciding between the two is a tough choice.

Both will do pretty much the same for emulation, so I would call that a tie with maybe a slight tip on the side for the S7800 having more RAM. Not useful right now but who knows what will come out next year that might require that extra gig of RAM. (That's a question mark though because it's all theory until it isn't unless it never happens.... lol)

If you want to use something like XMBC on it I would say fork over the money for the extra 2 inches of screen and higher res, also for web surfing. Both of these points are completely moot if all you want is emulation though. (To me it's Android and it does so much more why not use it?)

Build quality, I have heard mixed things on the JXD, most of the video's I have watched on youtube are perfectly happy all the way around with the machine. Then there was the one guy who had to solder his power button and also replace his AC adapter. Maybe he just got a bad one... (Both of the machines are built in China so yeah.... lol) I have heard nothing about the other machine so it's all question marks there.

Also not sure if the cheaper machine has multi touch on it's screen but I did read that the JXD has 5 point multi touch (Other than pinch to zoom I have no clue what it's good for lol)

I am waiting for my machine to come in the mail should be another week or maybe two... lol I went with Dino and free shipping.

If you want to wait a bit, I would be more than happy to share my impressions on build quality and how the controls feel. (To me that is insanely important and until I watched every youtube video on the JXD I wasn't going to touch the thing.... But all of them said the controls feel fantastic.)

Edit: One thing I am not looking forward too.... On some games and emulators they detect that you have physical buttons and controls and everything is awesome. Some you have to use that button mapping app either the one from JXD or that third party one. Then if you don't like the on screen controls in your view you have to edit some sort of files with photoshop... This is going to be true for both machines lol Ahh well at least I will only have to do it once per thing to set it up.

As far as im aware there are no emulators (that are worth using anyway) where you cannot get rid of the on screen controls so you dont need to worry about that. And all of them (again worth using) are already setup to allow you to just map the controls natively. I cant speak for Reicast as that emu gets updated almost daily but for everything else its the same.

Its mostly android apps that this is an issue with but even saying that, alot of games are being updated to use controls natively, and once detected, will automatically remove on screen buttons (unless needed). Its definitely becoming less of an issue over time as apps slowly start to take physical controls into the equation.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell no :rofl2::lol: Shields are $300, these consoles I'm talking about aren't even $140, I don't want to spend twice that much, because I don't have 300 bucks to blow right now :P These already emulate Dreamcast, but the emulator is still in alpha and has a ways to go, but many games run full speed already. $150 is my absolute limit for spending money on one of these, $300 is waaay beyond my means for such a device.

I can't afford a Shield right now, but either the JXD or GPD is well within my budget. Sorry for the response, I honestly cannot afford a Shield, at all, the other two are my only options that can run most emulators at full speed :P

No worries. Though the shield costs $250 atm ( I got mine for $200 around christmas) they are well worth the money imo. Very solid device and amazing support from nvidia and users with custom layouts for games that don't support controls (Just open up a menu in the game itself and download a layout ) and etc... I had one JXD in the past and it had all sorts of problems most notably the analogues not working correctly. But if the issues have been ironed out, more power to you.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries. Though the shield costs $250 atm ( I got mine for $200 around christmas) they are well worth the money imo. Very solid device and amazing support from nvidia and users with custom layouts for games that don't support controls (Just open up a menu in the game itself and download a layout ) and etc... I had one JXD in the past and it had all sorts of problems most notably the analogues not working correctly. But if the issues have been ironed out, more power to you.

The issues have been fixed, and I was learning more towards the GPD and not really the JXD :P

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno which to get either. Also considering this although it's not even announced yet:

It looks very comfortable and nice.

These look much better than the JXD offerings, much closer to the dual analog joysticks that we are used to. Though the guy behind the cam made me laugh because he did what I often do when I am having a conversation with someone that is speaking "broken English".
He said,"can you play some game" leaving the "s" off of "games".
That cracked me up, at least I'm not the only one! :)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These look much better than the JXD offerings, much closer to the dual analog joysticks that we are used to. Though the guy behind the cam made me laugh because he did what I often do when I am having a conversation with someone that is speaking "broken English".
He said,"can you play some game" leaving the "s" off of "games".
That cracked me up, at least I'm not the only one! :)

Too bad that game device isn't out yet, it looks pretty sick, the G5A being a close contender, and lol about what you said about that dude convo :lol:

Reactions: XDel

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as im aware there are no emulators (that are worth using anyway) where you cannot get rid of the on screen controls so you dont need to worry about that. And all of them (again worth using) are already setup to allow you to just map the controls natively. I cant speak for Reicast as that emu gets updated almost daily but for everything else its the same.

Its mostly android apps that this is an issue with but even saying that, alot of games are being updated to use controls natively, and once detected, will automatically remove on screen buttons (unless needed). Its definitely becoming less of an issue over time as apps slowly start to take physical controls into the equation.

I got my JXD today! (about 10 hours ago) and having drained the battery lol (it actually came almost full.) I can honestly say you are 100% correct, I haven't seen any on screen controls at all. So my worries about having to futz around with that where unfounded.

I haven't upgraded the firmware from the factory build yet (I will probably play around with it for a day or two as is.)

As it comes "out of the box" I am super impressed and really am wondering how much better the third party firmware makes it.... lol

I tested a ton of emulators and games, most everything works fantastic. N64 was hit and miss :( Mario 64 perfect, F-Zero X... very choppy. (might try a different emulator, I think it was N64oid or something what ever it is packed in with the machine.)

SNES every game I tried worked flawlessly except Axelay, it just goes blank after a sound effect when loaded. Some games the sound is a bit off but nothing too bad.

Genesis was the same as SNES except all the games worked fine, again some had the sound being a little off compared to the actual hardware and games but nothing so horrid it would make your ears bleed.

Anyway that's my mini report/review lol (Need a full week or two with the thing to really see where it sits, but my initial impression is "way better than expected!"

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my JXD today! (about 10 hours ago) and having drained the battery lol (it actually came almost full.) I can honestly say you are 100% correct, I haven't seen any on screen controls at all. So my worries about having to futz around with that where unfounded.

I haven't upgraded the firmware from the factory build yet (I will probably play around with it for a day or two as is.)

As it comes "out of the box" I am super impressed and really am wondering how much better the third party firmware makes it.... lol

I tested a ton of emulators and games, most everything works fantastic. N64 was hit and miss :( Mario 64 perfect, F-Zero X... very choppy. (might try a different emulator, I think it was N64oid or something what ever it is packed in with the machine.)

SNES every game I tried worked flawlessly except Axelay, it just goes blank after a sound effect when loaded. Some games the sound is a bit off but nothing too bad.

Genesis was the same as SNES except all the games worked fine, again some had the sound being a little off compared to the actual hardware and games but nothing so horrid it would make your ears bleed.

Anyway that's my mini report/review lol (Need a full week or two with the thing to really see where it sits, but my initial impression is "way better than expected!"

With Snes, I highly recommend something like Snes9x EX+ (based off if 1.53) or Snes9x Next (also 1.53, included in RetroArch), as both are reported working perfectly and with perfect audio :P I'm very picky about sound (those two emulators, well you know lol) I wish I had a device like that right now, but I don't know when I'll be able to get one, hopefully really soon :D I mean, how does the OS run, and how long did the battery last on one charge? And is the AC adapter work without any issues? :D I might have my sights set on the G5A ;)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

As the Randomizer pointed out. Get onto the store and use Snes 9xEx+ for SNES. It works perfectly with spot on sound.

For Genesis, I use MD.emu (again from the store) and this for me also, is perfect.

For N64 im like yourself. Currently, Android N64 emus are a touch lacking. But to be honest, I've not yet come across a PC one yet which I find accurate apart from a handful of games so I dont expect it get any better any time soon. Yes, if you play things like Mario 64, Zelda, you'll get great emualtion, but any game less than whats considered a total hit, the games are spotty to play so I just gave up on N64.

I had a dabble tonight on Reicast and am pleasantly surprised! Shenmue works perfectly fine apart from tiny graphic errors, Crazy Taxi is perfect (those are the only two I've tried

Regarding Firmware, if you are happy with how it all works then there really isnt much need to change it. All the custom firmwares do is iron out a couple of small bugs that you may or may not see anyway and clear all of the bloatware off the device.

Best thing to do I find is to change the launcher if you have a stock device as I find it pretty boring. I use this one. It costs a fair whack off the store but obviously its available if you look around ;)

This is what I use, does add a fair amount of pizzazz to the way things look and feel!

Next Launcher 3D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1