JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks good to me. He removed the useless chinese apps and fixed some things. That's all it needs tbh. :P

Awesome, that just pushed me a lot more towards over the fence, and it looks pretty easy to install and recover from should the need ever arise. Thanks again for your feedback :D :P Downloading the firmware now, just to save me time. What would fall under "essential apps"? I hope Chrome and Skype would still be there ;) I wonder if Netflix works.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Yeah, people on the forums are definitely recommending the GPD G5A over the S7800 by a large margin, as it turns out the S7800 isn't even being supported by JXD anymore. Not to mention, there seem to be some issues that haven't quite been ironed out and the size is a little too bulky for a "portable" device. They also assured me on what you said, that the custom firmware makes the G5A even more solid and the fact it's only 1 GB of RAM doesn't make all that much of a difference. So, all-in-all, they reflected what you said that getting the 5" device would be a better choice overall :D

Sorry for the double post, my internet sucks

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got the S7800 and it really is an amazing bit of kit if you buy it only for the reasons which its realistically intended. Emulation.

http://gbatemp.net/attachments/20140120_014159-jpg.5990/

Honestly, on a handheld system I've never had a device that plays so many emulators so flawlessly. Have got a 64gb card in mine which is practically full.

This thing with the correct emualtors will play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Sega Master System, Genesis, Sega Mega CD, Neo Geo and Playstation 1 to more or less perfection on this device. It will also play a few different versions of MAME. There is a PPSSPP emaultor now which is coming on absolute leaps and bounds. Check out these 3 videos I put up on youtube to show perfect and full speed emulation on this device.

Its even now via Reicast slowly becoming able to play Dreamcast titles. Shenmue runs fantastic on the S7800

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got the S7800 and it really is an amazing bit of kit if you buy it only for the reasons which its realistically intended. Emulation.

http://gbatemp.net/attachments/20140120_014159-jpg.5990/

Honestly, on a handheld system I've never had a device that plays so many emulators so flawlessly. Have got a 64gb card in mine which is practically full.

This thing with the correct emualtors will play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Sega Master System, Genesis, Sega Mega CD, Neo Geo and Playstation 1 to more or less perfection on this device. It will also play a few different versions of MAME. There is a PPSSPP emaultor now which is coming on absolute leaps and bounds. Check out these 3 videos I put up on youtube to show perfect and full speed emulation on this device.

Its even now via Reicast slowly becoming able to play Dreamcast titles. Shenmue runs fantastic on the S7800

Oh, I didn't realize that was you I saw over there on the forums, lol, my bad! :D So the extra GB doesn't make much of a difference performance-wise, but are all the problems the others said substantiated at all, like the touch screen being subpar in how responsive it is? I know that the G5A has pretty similar hardware that the S7800 as far as CPU and GPU go, so that isn't much of a concern, and the size would be more comfortable, but does the CFW fix the touch screen issues at all, then the issue with the battery indicator and the AC adapter is a potential concern. I've heard the the AC plugs are poorly soldered and overheat as well make a weird hum. The GPD device has a USB charger so I wouldn't need to worry about the AC plug failing or catching fire.

Again, I'm kinda worried about reliability, like, how long it'll last before dying, etc.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I didn't realize that was you I saw over there on the forums, lol, my bad! :D So the extra GB doesn't make much of a difference performance-wise, but are all the problems the others said substantiated at all, like the touch screen being subpar in how responsive it is? I know that the G5A has pretty similar hardware that the S7800 as far as CPU and GPU go, so that isn't much of a concern, and the size would be more comfortable, but does the CFW fix the touch screen issues at all, then the issue with the battery indicator and the AC adapter is a potential concern. I've heard the the AC plugs are poorly soldered and overheat as well make a weird hum. The GPD device has a USB charger so I wouldn't need to worry about the AC plug failing or catching fire.

The extra GB doesn't make a difference at all in my opinion. Everything I've tried with mine has failed to take my free memory down past about 1300mb.

The touchscreen is "OK". Its accurate enough but the responsiveness isnt great hence why I said that its good if you want it as an emulation device (which doesnt really need the touchscreen apart from working your way around androids UI and DS games. Dont expect to be 100 percenting games like Elite Beat Agents if you get what i mean :lol:

The reason to me why the S7800 is better is just down to one thing, the IPS screen. It really does make a difference. I had the S7300 before and everything just appears washed out. I believe the G5a and the G7 also have the older basic LCD screens which aren't to my taste.

The AC adapter thing now I believe is solved. I know for the first load of batches that were sold towards the latter end of last year came with dodgy adapters, but I believe they are now shipped with a higher quality one. Certainly mine has been totally fine in the 2 months I've owned it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The extra GB doesn't make a difference at all in my opinion. Everything I've tried with mine has failed to take my free memory down past about 1300mb.

The touchscreen is "OK". Its accurate enough but the responsiveness isnt great hence why I said that its good if you want it as an emulation device (which doesnt really need the touchscreen apart from working your way around androids UI and DS games. Dont expect to be 100 percenting games like Elite Beat Agents if you get what i mean :lol:

The reason to me why the S7800 is better is just down to one thing, the IPS screen. It really does make a difference. I had the S7300 before and everything just appears washed out. I believe the G5a and the G7 also have the older basic LCD screens which aren't to my taste.

The AC adapter thing now I believe is solved. I know for the first load of batches that were sold towards the latter end of last year came with dodgy adapters, but I believe they are now shipped with a higher quality one. Certainly mine has been totally fine in the 2 months I've owned it.

Gotcha. IPS screens are really good for sure, but what about for browsing the internet and typing on like Facebook, searching in the search bar and so on? And I heard that Netflix does indeed work well on these devices, another plus. Good to know the AC adapters aren't crap anymore, a big plus as I was kinda worried about that :P Now where to get the device from, I prefer quick-ish shipping, if at all feasible :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gotcha. IPS screens are really good for sure, but what about for browsing the internet and typing on like Facebook, searching in the search bar and so on? And I heard that Netflix does indeed work well on these devices, another plus. Good to know the AC adapters aren't crap anymore, a big plus as I was kinda worried about that :P Now where to get the device from, I prefer quick-ish shipping, if at all feasible :P

Browsing the internet and all that is totally fine. The browser you get with it is terrible but obviously you can remedy that from a visit to the play store. Dont get me wrong, the touch screen is perfectly fine for day to day stuff like FB, browsing the net etc. It only falls down really on "twitch" gaming as it were. So like i said, its not great for some DS games that require good timing, and its also not fantastic if you play a couple of the faster android titles like Bejeweled Blitz etc.

With regards to the firmware you are correct, JXD has come out and said that as of the latest firmware they have available, they wont be releasing any more. But to be honest, the tiny "issues" that are left are mostly fixable through the play store. Its just that some people (over on the Dingoonity threads) just want it fixed by JXD rather than making a little effort to do it themselves.

The only issue that is obvious are the right analogue stick not having "full range". This can easily be solved by an app called Tincore mapper (which has a calibration tool inside). But even then, games in the app store are being updated regularly to counter this abnormal setting so that it becomes a non issue anyway.

The battery indicator is a weird one and seems to be uniform across all S7800s. Basically from a full charge, it will drain to between 70 and 80 percent in like 10 minutes. Then it will sit there for maybe 3-4 hours, and it will drop from 70 to empty in the final hour. I've not spoken to anyone whose S7800 is different to that so its indeed quirky. However, like most others, I've just gotten used to it. Once it starts dropping from 70, you know youve got about an hour left and its time to charge. Annoying, but not a deal breaker really.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Browsing the internet and all that is totally fine. The browser you get with it is terrible but obviously you can remedy that from a visit to the play store. Dont get me wrong, the touch screen is perfectly fine for day to day stuff like FB, browsing the net etc. It only falls down really on "twitch" gaming as it were. So like i said, its not great for some DS games that require good timing, and its also not fantastic if you play a couple of the faster android titles like Bejeweled Blitz etc.

With regards to the firmware you are correct, JXD has come out and said that as of the latest firmware they have available, they wont be releasing any more. But to be honest, the tiny "issues" that are left are mostly fixable through the play store. Its just that some people (over on the Dingoonity threads) just want it fixed by JXD rather than making a little effort to do it themselves.

The only issue that is obvious are the right analogue stick not having "full range". This can easily be solved by an app called Tincore mapper (which has a calibration tool inside). But even then, games in the app store are being updated regularly to counter this abnormal setting so that it becomes a non issue anyway.

The battery indicator is a weird one and seems to be uniform across all S7800s. Basically from a full charge, it will drain to between 70 and 80 percent in like 10 minutes. Then it will sit there for maybe 3-4 hours, and it will drop from 70 to empty in the final hour. I've not spoken to anyone whose S7800 is different to that so its indeed quirky. However, like most others, I've just gotten used to it. Once it starts dropping from 70, you know youve got about an hour left and its time to charge. Annoying, but not a deal breaker really.

That clears that confusion up quite a bit, the thing that concerns me is the fact the JXD isn't supported by the company, while the GPD is, so should I run into a defective unit or have it die on me a month into having one. In other words, I'd be pretty much SOL and out $140 or so, something I'm not particularly fond of happening. But with the GPD, I'd likely have an easier time exchanging a defective unit with a brand new one, but I hope that I have good luck and get a working unit that lasts for a long, long time. I've heard of the Tincore mapper, which firmware would I need to install for the S7800? I know for the GPD G5A, I would need something like LegacyROM (which I already downloaded in case), correct? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I make the right choice and don't end up getting buyer's remorse.

Once I get either device, how do I set them up as best as possible, and I can install Chrome from the Google Play store as well? Like RetroArch, ePSXe, Mupen64, etc?

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For that price you might as well get a Shield and emulate everything up to Dreamcast.

Hell no :rofl2::lol: Shields are $300, these consoles I'm talking about aren't even $140, I don't want to spend twice that much, because I don't have 300 bucks to blow right now :P These already emulate Dreamcast, but the emulator is still in alpha and has a ways to go, but many games run full speed already. $150 is my absolute limit for spending money on one of these, $300 is waaay beyond my means for such a device.

I can't afford a Shield right now, but either the JXD or GPD is well within my budget. Sorry for the response, I honestly cannot afford a Shield, at all, the other two are my only options that can run most emulators at full speed :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That clears that confusion up quite a bit, the thing that concerns me is the fact the JXD isn't supported by the company, while the GPD is, so should I run into a defective unit or have it die on me a month into having one. In other words, I'd be pretty much SOL and out $140 or so, something I'm not particularly fond of happening. But with the GPD, I'd likely have an easier time exchanging a defective unit with a brand new one, but I hope that I have good luck and get a working unit that lasts for a long, long time. I've heard of the Tincore mapper, which firmware would I need to install for the S7800? I know for the GPD G5A, I would need something like LegacyROM (which I already downloaded in case), correct? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I make the right choice and don't end up getting buyer's remorse.

Once I get either device, how do I set them up as best as possible, and I can install Chrome from the Google Play store as well? Like RetroArch, ePSXe, Mupen64, etc?

I suppose with returns it all depends where you get it from. I mean, even if JXD don't support the device then I suppose that doesn't matter as your beef would be with the company who sold it you.

I was lucky in that I'm in the UK and bought it in the UK so I got my one year warranty with them. So I wouldnt have to deal with JXD at all.

So personally, if you could find someone in the US to sell you one (I'm sure I've seen a few places online recently but cant remember off the top of my head) you'd have much less headaches if you had issues.

I think as well, that the problems with the 7800 aren't as bad as people make out. I've got one and a few people I know do and theirs are all fine. Its just a case I think of only really one forum on the entire web for JXDs so its one place to go for people who have issues. Happy buyers generally wont comment either way I suppose.

Firmware wise I use Tans. It takes all of the chinese rubbish off the device and its very much "stock android". Then you just go onto google play and get the emulators for the job rather than using the sub par ones that it originally came with.

You can use chrome yes, I use it on mine and its perfectly fine. You can also run all of the emulators. If you interested, these are what I use:

Nes - Nes.Emu
Snes - Snes9x EX.emu
GB/GBC - GBC.emu
GBA - GBA.emu
Neo Geo - Neo.Emu
Playstation - EPSXE (I've got 90 games on my SD card, each one works flawlessly
PSP - PPSSPP
Mame - Mame4Droid
Genesis and Master System - MD.emu
DS - Drastic

I have tried Retroarch and it does work, however I hate the interface. Its clunky and messy and to be honest I prefer the one app / one emulator route. Makes everything easily and cleaner to get to IMO.

I havent tried N64 yet as I just havent got the space left!

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose with returns it all depends where you get it from. I mean, even if JXD don't support the device then I suppose that doesn't matter as your beef would be with the company who sold it you.

I was lucky in that I'm in the UK and bought it in the UK so I got my one year warranty with them. So I wouldnt have to deal with JXD at all.

So personally, if you could find someone in the US to sell you one (I'm sure I've seen a few places online recently but cant remember off the top of my head) you'd have much less headaches if you had issues.

I think as well, that the problems with the 7800 aren't as bad as people make out. I've got one and a few people I know do and theres are all fine. Its just a case I think of only really one forum on the entire web for JXDs so its one place to go for people who have issues. Happy buyers generally wont comment either way I suppose.

Firmware wise I use Tans. It takes all of the chinese rubbish off the device and its very much "stock android". Then you just go onto google play and get the emaultors for the job rather than using the sub par ones that it originally came with.

You can use chrome yes, I use it on mine and its perfectly fine. You can also run all of the emualtors. If you interested, these are what I use:

Nes - Nes.Emu
Snes - Snes9x EX.emu
GB/GBC - GBC.emu
GBA - GBA.emu
Neo Geo - Neo.Emu
Playstation - EPSXE (I've got 90 games on my SD card, each one works flawlessly
PSP - PPSSPP
Mame - Mame4Droid
Genesis and Master System - MD.emu
DS - Drastic

I have tried Retroarch and it does work, however I hate the interface. Its clunky and messy and to be honest I prefer the one app / one emulator route. Makes everything easily and cleaner to get to IMO.

I havent tried N64 yet as I just havent got the space left!

My problem with the EX emulators is that the Snes9x used is based off of 1.51/1.43, which makes the sound emulation as bad as Zsnes, whereas Snes9x Next on RA is based off of 1.53, so it has cycle-accurate audio, 1;1 with a real Snes XD. I like the RA interface, but that's just me :P Genesis plus is also quite excellent and very accurate as well (I'm very nit picky about emulation accuracy lol) :P Too bad ePSXe isn't free on the Google Play store, at least, I don't think it is, I could be wrong though, but PSX emulation looks quite stable on either device, a big plus and better than what I've seen on the PSP as far as homebrew is concerned. I just checked eBay to see if they have them, yeah, overpriced over there, I guess I could make a Want-to-Buy thread on here to see if someone has one and do it that way :D

I think N64 and Dreamcast are still in WIP/alpha but they seem to look pretty good from videos I've seen (well, DC is alpha, not sure about N64).

Do you have a link for that CFW on the S7800?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My problem with the EX emulators is that the Snes9x used is based off of 1.51/1.43, which makes the sound emulation as bad as Zsnes, whereas Snes9x Next on RA is based off of 1.53, so it has cycle-accurate audio, 1;1 with a real Snes XD. I like the RA interface, but that's just me :P Genesis plus is also quite excellent and very accurate as well (I'm very nit picky about emulation accuracy lol) :P Too bad ePSXe isn't free on the Google Play store, at least, I don't think it is, I could be wrong though, but PSX emulation looks quite stable on either device, a big plus and better than what I've seen on the PSP as far as homebrew is concerned. I just checked eBay to see if they have them, yeah, overpriced over there, I guess I could make a Want-to-Buy thread on here to see if someone has one and do it that way :D

I think N64 and Dreamcast are still in WIP/alpha but they seem to look pretty good from videos I've seen (well, DC is alpha, not sure about N64).

Do you have a link for that CFW on the S7800?

Snes 9xEx+ is based off 1.53 ;). The sound emulation is perfect (Im a sucker for it - if it doesn't play the title screen sound effects properly in Castlevania 4 then its not right, but this does!)

Check here for confirmation
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explusalpha.Snes9xPlus&hl=en_GB

EPSXE isnt free but its freely available elsewhere and you can just install the APK file easy as you like, I know i do:lol:

For the firmware I use on the S7800 go here:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-1-6ghz-(tweaked)-minimal-firmware-wfixes-(by-jxd)/

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snes 9xEx+ is based off 1.53 ;). The sound emulation is perfect (Im a sucker for it - if it doesn't play the title screen sound effects properly in Castlevania 4 then its not right, but this does!)

Check here for confirmation
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explusalpha.Snes9xPlus&hl=en_GB

EPSXE isnt free but its freely available elsewhere and you can just install the APK file easy as you like, I know i do:lol:

For the firmware I use on the S7800 go here:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/s7800b-1-6ghz-(tweaked)-minimal-firmware-wfixes-(by-jxd)/

Oh! I wasn't sure it was based off of Snes9x 1.53, I'll be damned! Huh, I think what I saw was the alternate version that was for slower devices (based off of 1.43) :lol: Just saw a video of it, perfect audio emulation, good, good. Glad it's easy to install all those emulators from the Google Store. Downloading the firmware now, thanks again for your guys' help :P

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh! I wasn't sure it was based off of Snes9x 1.53, I'll be damned! Huh, I think what I saw was the alternate version that was for slower devices (based off of 1.43) :lol: Just saw a video of it, perfect audio emulation, good, good. Glad it's easy to install all those emulators from the Google Store. Downloading the firmware now, thanks again for your guys' help :P

Enjoy whichever one you buy, there is a ton of stuff to load onto them whichever you get. You'll definitely need a huge Micro SD card! Other software or games that work really well that I have are:

ScummVM
Riptide 1 and 2
Rayman Jungle Run
Pool Break Pro
Simon The Sorceror
Machinarium
Dokuro
The Room
Pinball Arcade
Dead Trigger 1 and 2
Badland
GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas HD (and yes, they all natively support the controls)
UAE4all 2 - Amiga emulator, again, perfect compatibility more or less
Doom GLES - OpenGL port of Doom
Asphalt 8 - Great racing title
Dark Meadow

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enjoy whichever one you buy, there is a ton of stuff to load onto them whichever you get. You'll definitely need a huge Micro SD card! Other software or games that work really well that I have are:

ScummVM
Riptide 1 and 2
Rayman Jungle Run
Pool Break Pro
Simon The Sorceror
Machinarium
Dokuro
The Room
Pinball Arcade
Dead Trigger 1 and 2
Badland
GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas HD (and yes, they all natively support the controls)
UAE4all 2 - Amiga emulator, again, perfect compatibility more or less
Doom GLES - OpenGL port of Doom
Asphalt 8 - Great racing title
Dark Meadow

Turns out there's a promo coupon as well, not sure if it's active, but it knocks 10 bucks from the price, a 32 GB micro SD card would be a good way to go I'd think, man, this is gonna be awesome! Oh, ScummVM, that's actually a really good fit on there.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Turns out there's a promo coupon as well, not sure if it's active, but it knocks 10 bucks from the price, a 32 GB micro SD card would be a good way to go I'd think, man, this is gonna be awesome! Oh, ScummVM, that's actually a really good fit on there.

To be fair, the only thing which takes up space is PSX and PSP games. But luckily, EPSXE will read .PBP files which i believe is compressed PSX isos that worked on the PSP so thats a massive space saver in itself.

PPSSPP does read .CSO, but it really does impact on performance so those currently are best left in ISO format. If you plan to use PPSSPP I created a thread here which i keep updating every now and again with specific S7800 compatibility (but would assume, seeing as hardware is very similar that this would apply to G5a also

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/full-speed-ppsspp-on-s7800/

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, the only thing which takes up space is PSX and PSP games. But luckily, EPSXE will read .PBP files which i believe is compressed PSX isos that worked on the PSP so thats a massive space saver in itself.

PPSSPP does read .CSO, but it really does impact on performance so those currently are best left in ISO format. If you plan to use PPSSPP I created a thread here which i keep updating every now and again with specific S7800 compatibility (but would assume, seeing as hardware is very similar that this would apply to G5a also

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/full-speed-ppsspp-on-s7800/

I like PPSSPP a lot, very impressive emulator overall and getting better all the time. The PSP images I have on my PC are already in ISO format, so that won't be so much as an issue. The resolution of the G5A is 800 x 480 or something close to that, but the program will undoubtedly help with performance :P And with the coupon, the G5A is only about $100, which isn't half bad at all (well, minus shipping and the SD card lol).

Reactions: kristianity77

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just another quick note regarding charging (yes im on the Dingoonity boards as well lol). You CAN charge by USB. But not directly. You can use one of these. Im sure they would be readily available somewhere near you :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Cable...blet_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item3a894eedaa

I dont have one personally but I know someone who does and they just use it with a 2 amp USB charger and it works a treat. (He was concerned about the AC adapter which came with it also as he had one of the earlier models)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night