Hacking Homebrew Just want to get the message out to all Wii U owners!

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
3DS and WiiU modding are so complex and everything
To be honest, I find Wii U modding to be the simplest and most straight forward of all Nintendo consoles, even compared to the Wii.
Any suggestions on how to approach them?
The only suggestion I can give you is to follow this guide: https://wiiu.hacks.guide, it should take around 30 minutes to follow all steps (excluding the full NAND backup step, which is optional).

zithington

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
we can verify their authenticity on the server side.
Thanks for the reply, Quark - I didn't realize that CEMU required dumping the certs from your actual Wii U, my bad. with Nintendo shutting down these servers in spring 2024, is this server-side auth check still going to be possible? I'm assuming that even after the pulled-from-device certs expire, you'll still be able to 'follow the chain' to make sure they were issued by Nintendo's official intermediate or root CAs?
Post automatically merged:

everything still seems to move so fast that I haven't been able to get into it
heh, now that they're finally shutting down online, it seems to be the time to get into it since there will be no reason to have your wii U online anymore, and therefore a good time to get into the homebrew scene without fear a future update will kill root access!

I haven't modded my Wii-U either, last console I did that too was the Wii.

Last edited by zithington,
Reactions: Dakangel

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why does this feel like a threat?
Honestly, I stand by my opinion aka "the truth" that literally EVERY Nintendo community you go to, you are bound to find drama occur and major toxicity. Most of it consists of brain rotting 13-year olds who get angry over very little said. If any of you disagree with me, have you ever touched grass in your life?

Reactions: ELY_M

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Honestly with the WiiU, I don't see a reason to have to Mod it in my case cause my Wiiu main controller dies too quickly and it has severe drift. We only have Mario Maker 1, the Starfox game (and the other minor one), Splatoon 1, Hyrule Warriors, Resident Evil, Smash 4, and that's it on the top of my head. I personally didn't use the online on these games (but my sister did with Splatoon 1) and this alone coupled with the fact that most of the other games I didn't mention didn't really have online features on them.

What can you do with a Modded Wii outside of getting Wiiu games through different means even if it's hard as heck trying to do so

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well what about for pokemon? i know the games already have a built in legality check feature when attempting to battle/trade online with a friend or rando, but around 2018 and prior, you used to get banned for having mods,cheats,etc. on even if it was just a model swap that didn't affect the core gameplay whatsoever, so although you could apply this to every game, i guess the bigger question is what exactly will happen if we were to have a mod on that didn't affect the gameplay?
I am not too well-versed in the 3DS side of things, but I don't see a reason why cosmetic changes would be an issue (assuming we can tell them apart from more serious cheats).
Thanks for the reply, Quark - I didn't realize that CEMU required dumping the certs from your actual Wii U, my bad. with Nintendo shutting down these servers in spring 2024, is this server-side auth check still going to be possible? I'm assuming that even after the pulled-from-device certs expire, you'll still be able to 'follow the chain' to make sure they were issued by Nintendo's official intermediate or root CAs?
Yup! All the console certs go back to a root CA, which we can just ignore the expiry date on.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Rules on Pretendo network don’t have a “no hacking” rule because you have to hack to get access to the servers so I assume everyone will be hacking in online matches. (It sounds fun)
Try playing an older call of duty title(mw2 or 3 are worst) and your opinion will change within a few matches

Stan4d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you're free to do whatever in private/friends rooms, we do console-ban people who hack in public matches with the intent of wrecking it for everyone else. This is actually stronger protection than the old NN bans, usually they would only account ban or serial ban; both pretty easy to bypass.
I know this may be early but when do you think pretendo will come out? (possibly shortly after the servers shut down)

Yubelcity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have to pay for pretendo? b/c I got it on my console but I couldnt go online
this is also something i've been confused about, because it gives me the error code (from 2015 iirc) from when nintendo messed with the DNS servers so you basically had to reset your console over and over and hoped it would connect eventually, can't say that's the same case here.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Honestly with the WiiU, I don't see a reason to have to Mod it in my case cause my Wiiu main controller dies too quickly and it has severe drift. We only have Mario Maker 1, the Starfox game (and the other minor one), Splatoon 1, Hyrule Warriors, Resident Evil, Smash 4, and that's it on the top of my head. I personally didn't use the online on these games (but my sister did with Splatoon 1) and this alone coupled with the fact that most of the other games I didn't mention didn't really have online features on them.

What can you do with a Modded Wii outside of getting Wiiu games through different means even if it's hard as heck trying to do so
You can fix both the sticks and the battery just by replacing them. The Gamepad is fully modular, so just get aftermarket sticks and replace them.

A modded Wii U basically gives you access to emulate every single Nintendo console from NES to NDS, having limitations only with N64 and NDS since you'd be using Nintendo's own emulator. You can also install and play Gamecube and Wii games, plus a myriad of non Nintendo platforms.

Plus, it's actually easy to do so. Only some stuff that hasn't been worked enough requires extra tinkering.

Reactions: Stan4d

Stan4d

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can fix both the sticks and the battery just by replacing them. The Gamepad is fully modular, so just get aftermarket sticks and replace them.

A modded Wii U basically gives you access to emulate every single Nintendo console from NES to NDS, having limitations only with N64 and NDS since you'd be using Nintendo's own emulator. You can also install and play Gamecube and Wii games, plus a myriad of non Nintendo platforms.

Plus, it's actually easy to do so. Only some stuff that hasn't been worked enough requires extra tinkering.
And Pretendo and Custom themes

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
As always with this kind of announcements, people is falling into panic.

Relax, guys, we're still half a year from the servers shutdown, let the Pretendo staff do their thing.

We.have.time.

Reactions: duwen and SylverReZ

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
not enough....:sad:
Even if it isn't enough, i'd rather wait for a while and then receive a finished and competent online system than something rushed or sloppy right after the official online system closes doors.

Let them cook. Developing for Wii U is already hard enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto