Hacking Just to clear up a misconception, the DSi will have two 0.3 megapixel

Saf1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey you guys, I've done a lot of looking around and it appears there's a major misconception about the cameras that the DSi will have built into it. It appears that even a few American websites have incorrectly listed the specs of the DSi.

Here's what I've found in my searching:
Simple google search yields:

"and there's an external three megapixel camera"
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/02/nintend...ounces-the-dsi/

"a 3.0 megapixel digital camera (full wow),"
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2008/10/0...owser-and-more/

"It also features a .3 megapixel camera with picture editing functions using the touch screen."
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170305

"and there will be two 0.3 megapixel cameras on the hardware, on both the inside and the outside of the case. "
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081...-app-store.html

Even wikipedia can't seem to get it right. On their own page, they state:
"The new handheld will contain two cameras (a 0.3 megapixel [300,000 pixels, 640 x 480 resolution] VGA camera on the internal hinge pointed towards the user, and a camera on the outside of the shell.."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi

and it goes on to list 4 sources. Each of those sources state:
1.) "it will boast two cameras--one outward-facing 3 megapixel and one lower-resolution one for self-portraits"
2.) "while it will also now include two 0.3 megapixel cameras"
3.) "Nintendo has packed a 3-megapixel camera on the exterior of the case, with another lower-resolution camera on the interior hinge."
4.) "The camera is... goodness. 300,000 pixels? Is that 3 megapixels? You can apparently edit pictures using the touch screen. "

I think the guy who wrote the fourth source needs to take basic math again. Either way, 3 of those 4 sources state 3 megapixels (well let's not count that last one), so I hope you guys can see how I was so confused.

Regardless, Nintendo has stated officially on their site:
"For cell phones and digital cameras, manufacturers have been increasing the number of pixels in order to appeal to consumers. However, we have taken almost the opposite approach. We cannot boast about the resolution as the camera for DSi has the 300,000 pixels resolution."
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference20...resen/e/02.html

So it's settled. 0.3 megapixels on both cameras, and 300,000 pixels =/= 3 megapixels.

My question is, WHY are so many of these sources getting it wrong? Some have told me it has something to do with the American reporters getting the info incorrectly from the Japanese sources, I really don't know. But the reality is this needs to be cleared up.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
very disappointed DSi they both are 0.3 megapixel camera and it region lock....

0.3 megapixel VGA camera takes 640 x 480 pixel resolution image some thing like this:
bloggersmeet20am.png

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Balrogs.Pain said:
Does anyone mind telling me how bad a 0.3 megapixel camera is?
Pretty much bad......considering that even older mobile phones usually had 1.3 megapixel (and that was bad)....But with todays standards, it's very bad......

EDIT: as Destructobot, said, it'll be OK on DSi's screen, but on PC or TV..it'll look horrid..

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't it just be easier to just release a sequel to the Gameboy Camera that plugs into the GBA slot instead of releasing a brand new version of the DS? Oh wait, it's Nintendo and they want our monies.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Harsky said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to just release a sequel to the Gameboy Camera that plugs into the GBA slot instead of releasing a brand new version of the DS? Oh wait, it's Nintendo and they want our monies.

I thought the same thing; word for word.

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
Destructobot said:
.3 megapixels is 640x480 - 6 times the resolution of the DS screens. Sounds about right to me for the kind of DS based iCrap they're going to be using it for.
The only thing i would use the camera for is the flickbook animation program that nintendo has going on. Because i cannot draw worth crap.

KaizokuOu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
remember children. megapixels is the size of the image not the quality.

a 12MP camera doesnt necessarily mean it is better quality than an 8MP, im sure my 8MP DSLR photos upscaled to 12MP in photoshop will look much better than a 12mp shot from the majority other cameras.

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
0.3 megapixel can still be good and should be enough for the screen size of the dsi.

I just think putting a camera on the ds to begin with is kind of gimmicky.
Also, the fact that the slot2 is lost is pretty big for me.

and if it comes at $179 (like in japan), I would rather get a psp.

Zamo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KaizokuOu said:
remember children. megapixels is the size of the image not the quality.

a 12MP camera doesnt necessarily mean it is better quality than an 8MP, im sure my 8MP DSLR photos upscaled to 12MP in photoshop will look much better than a 12mp shot from the majority other cameras.

This is true, however image quality also depends on optical sensors etc. and I doubt that the DSI's are going to be amazing
frown.gif

Saf1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What good is a camera nowadays if you can't upload the pictures to your computer? You probably could (it's Nintendo, so we can't give them credit for anything just yet), but the quality would look horrible on anything but a DS. It feels like it'd be largely useless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.