Clarification: The Camera and the Design

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xamorok, Jun 16, 2010.

Jun 16, 2010
  1. xamorok
    OP

Member xamorok Member

United States
    I just wanted to clarify a few things, in terms of the camera and the design of the 3DS.
    Camera: Yes it is true that the 3DS has a 0.3 Megapixel camera. Yes, a 0.3 Megapixel camera is shitty. Yes phones have better cameras. But you are forgetting three essential things:
    One, you probably wont be moving your pictures over to your computer, and forgive me of my lack of knowledge regarding the DSi, but im not even sure you could move pictures on your DSi to your computer.
    Two, bearing point one in mind, a camera with a higher megapixel count would do absolutely nothing for viewing the picture on the 3DS itself, seeing as you wouldnt be able to tell, due to the screen having a resolution of 800x240 pixels. This means that even if you had more pixels in the image, you would not be able to see them, due to the limitation of the screen.
    Three, due to the two cameras on the front, you will be able to take a picture, and the 3DS will render it in stereoscopic 3D. You can even control which aspects of the picture are more in focus for crying out loud. This also reaffirms the assertion that you probably wont be able to move it to your computer, or you wouldnt want to, because it would be a double image.

Design:
    ITS A PROTOTYPE! The stylus may be on top now, the power button may be below the action buttons for now, the start button may be under the touch screen for now, but its gonna change!
    Jesus Christ

EDIT: Forgot to throw in the source:

Size (when closed):
    Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.
    Weight:
    Approximately 8 ounces.
    Look:
    Final design is TBA.
    Top Screen:
    3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).
    Touch Screen:
    3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.
    Cameras:
    One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

That is from http://e3src.nintendo.com/3ds/ under features

FINAL EDIT: And if you are using your DSi as your camera and intend on using the 3DS as your camera as well, please, do one of two things: Shut up, stop being so cheap, and buy a camera, or buy a phone with 1902347904235897234598 MegaPixels, but only a 320x240 screen resolution

2. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    AND, its 3D.

that's the system seller right there.

3. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Yea u can [​IMG]

4. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Sounds good.

You can move picture from a DSi to a computer, by copying the photos over a SD card. Or, you could use the Facebook upload button while connected to Wifi, to upload photos to your Facebook account. I do, actually like the look of the "prototype" design, the only thing thats bugging me right now is the lack of a release date/price.

5. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I completely agree.

6. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pretty decent idea of the prototype hands-on with video.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/15/nintend...s-in-the-flesh/

He even gets interrupted by one of the PR girls with the "this is definitely not a final design and don't be surprised if there are changes done to the whole thing" so yeh I'm still impressed with what they have out and hope they can get it more ready for a final release soon. He also mentioned that it is pretty easy to get out of sync with the 3D effect by twisting the 3DS so that is one thing to be aware of.

7. gpasoyf

Newcomer gpasoyf Member

Belgium
    Mostly Disagree

1.You can transfer the pictures (at least the inside camera ones) to the computer it has SD card
    2.You can see images of bigger size in small screen try searching for a wallpaper bigger than your computer resolution YOU CAN SEE IT
    3.I don't think there is going to be drastic changes in the final version, same layout

8. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States

was there a little angry in her voice ? lol

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Good points. I am fine with the design personally at this stage but at least by showing it now, they can see what works and doesn't work with a variety of people. I am sure it wont change anything but at least our voices may be heard.

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Of course you can see them, but that's not what he meant. He wanted to say that, if they made pictures of higher resolutions, you'd have to scroll over those pictures, which would be quite annoying.

11. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    What?!!!

To resize an image to smaller than its full size, YOU HAVE TO REMOVE PIXELS. You can not shrink an image AND see all of the detail, that is 100% impossible. If you resize a 5.0mp image to fit on a 320x240 screen, you will lose a hell of a lot of detail, the better thing to do, is NOT take a 5.0mp photo in the first place, a VGA camera is perfect for its intended use in this situation.

12. MG4M3R

Member MG4M3R GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Err, there are already monitors capable of displaying 3D without glasses.
    Not only that, but any other device with 3D capability would be able to view the photos from 3DS, and believe me, in awhile there will be many of then.

13. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    My only problem with the thing is the possible lack of left handed support.

Kid Icarus is going to have you move with the analogue stick, look around with the touch screen and fire\attack with the L button. I'm going to have a bit of a problem adapting to that...

14. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    I think Nintendo can help out with that problem since a lot of people are talking about it. With a little bit of use with the gyroscope and the front facing camera, maybe they can rig up some auto adjust system of sorts. This was, as said in the video, a development 3DS to show off at E3. I think when this launches, Nintendo should have a well developed handheld system to show off ^-^

15. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    They might release a special "Leftie" edition [​IMG]
    With all buttons mirrored.

16. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Baw, nevermind. I must have mis-read the specs last night (at like 5am)