Just pulled the trigger on a wii.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mech, Mar 5, 2015.

1. mech
    OP

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Hey guys, I just bought a new old stock wii, I've read around the soft modding and will do some deeper research as I go along, but I wanted to ask for some information on the general DO's and DONT's, even if they are just one liners!

I'm pretty Confident when it comes to modding, soft and hard. But you can never be too careful and I'd really appreciate some pointers! Treat me as a newb to the wii scene like I really am :)

So I have the wii coming, a 2gb SD and a 32gb SDHC memory card and I will be mostly using it for wii games and alot of camecube action.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The general DO's are grabbing ModMii and using it to generate a softmodding guide - it will download all the necessary WAD's for you and create a step-by-step and up-to-date guide on how to mod your system. As far as the file system of your external HDD (which you want to use) is concerned, go for FAT32 and ignore anyone who says otherwise - it's the best. For Wii game management I suggest Wii Backup Manager since it'll automatically convert your images and split them if needs be, overcoming the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32. For cube action grab the latest Nintendont, it's superior to DIOS MIOS without all the Anti-Piracy protection of Devolution. The general DON'T's are changing the region of Korean-made Wii's (they're fickle beasts, don't do it unless you're a 100% sure it'll work), losing your NAND backup (required in case your system implodes) and installing untested System Menu WAD's as it might completely screw up your system beyond the point of recovery (it overwrites the PriiLoader which in case of later Wii's is equivalent to a death sentence unless you know how to flash the beast with an Infectus or something to that effect).

mech likes this.
  3. mech
    OP

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Awesome, thanks. I intend to use an external drive with it.

4. elmoemo

elmoemo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 4, 2012
    Simple to mod and many hours of great Mario lol

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  5. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    In that case, you should consider getting a 2.5" drive + enclosure so that it powers down automatically at the same time as the Wii.

mech likes this.
  6. mech
    OP

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    by coincidence i have a WD external hard drive thats usb only, a passport style one so no external power source... thanks for the tip.. didnt think about that issue :)

LumInvader likes this.
  7. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Do:
    -Install Priiloader. Don't, forget this.
    -Download either RetroArch or Tantric emulators. No Wii is complete without them.
    -Install VC/WiiWare games and move them to your SD card for them to be played whenever you feel like.
    -Consider trying mods like Project M or Newer Super Mario Bros Wii.

Don't:
    -Update through Nintendo. Disc nor internet.
    -Use old and redundant homebrew like Pimp my Wii and CIOSCORP.
    -Uninstall system IOSes. In fact, don't uninstall IOSes at all.
    -Turn off your system when installing things.
    -Use the Wii as a doorstop.

mech and TeamScriptKiddies like this.
  8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    If you can, Install Bootmii to Boot2. not all Wii's can do this but if yours can, install it and dump the NAND. Bootmii installed to Boot2 will allow you restore a NAND dump even if you brick the System Menu or delete various IOSs.

mech likes this.
  9. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    One of the fun things is trying to match the enclosure with the device it's running from.

For example...

Original Nintendo Wii:

[​IMG]

Filemate 3.5" enclosure (yeah, it lights up blue just like the Wii's DVD drive):

[​IMG]

There's also a Filemate 2.5" enclosure, but it doesn't match the Wii quite as well:

[​IMG]

mech and TeamScriptKiddies like this.
  10. mech
    OP

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga

ok so no updates via Nintendo, discs or internet... how'd you update it to another firmware or is it best to not update at all?

11. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    If the Wii you bought was used recently then chances are it's already on the newest and final firmware, which is 4.3. The system firmware has practically zero impact on game compatibility so you shouldn't have to touch it at all. If for whatever reason you want to swap firmwares then it's as simple as a wad install. However, keep in mind that this will erase priiloader so if something goes wrong and you don't have bootmii installed then your Wii is goof.

When running ModMii it should give you the option to download all necessary system IOSes as well. I suggest doing that and installing them along with the cIOSes. Just follow their guide and you'll be just fine.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    There are certain advantages to running 4.1, but I can't quite recall what they are and they don't influence backup loaders or homebrew so don't worry about it and just run the latest firmware, it doesn't matter. :P

13. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    If the Wii is a 4.1 and gets bricked, then depending on the type of brick it could be unbricked by doing a disc update of a higher firmware.

14. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Is the advice to not install via Nintendo still valid? Nintendo haven't released a new update in years and the latest 4.3 is still fully exploitable.

15. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    I opened this thread kind of hoping to see a picture of a Wii with a big bullet hole in the side of it....

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    Problem is that we don't know how update by N works internally. Any Wii modification might alter whole process and cause unnecessary risk of brick.

17. DPyro

DPyro GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2008
    Canada
    Irrelevant if you have BootMii.