ROM Hack Jump Ulimate Stars Translation Project

basoul

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just go to a anime forum or manga forum and ask for help im sure youll get alot of support for this project.

try the narutofan.com forum they have a really good translation section post the site and im sure some one will help if you mention this game =]

ryuujin2788

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait... why don't you just use a GameFAQs guide (with the author's permission) and turn it into a translation? Every guide (well, the one I clicked on just 5 minutes ago when I was checking it out) seems to have pretty complete translations. All you need are, what? Menus and game screen, the things that tell you what to do in each stage.

Because if you try to translate them directly from Japanese, I will let you know you will find some funny things. For the ones that are about breaking down the walls, it says something ridiculous about eliminating the space your in... except something far more out there.

Anyway, just do it basic. Unless you are planning to translate the Quiz or something, in which case I say "Good luck!" There's no way I'm sitting there through all of them.

4ppleseed

Trophies
XP
Country
Keep going chaps! You can do it
grog.gif

AishunBao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this project should have its own small forum. It's pretty hard to discuss any translations in a 35+ page thread. There are actually a lot of translation inconsistencies and there are specific translation preferences from anime fans similar to the preference of the word koma instead of frame.

Buuuut, I guess since people just want this thing done, it doesn't seem like anyone gives a shit about minor errors. =p

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I AM DYING TO PLAY THIS IN ENGLISH!!!

Guys, keep up the good work, but don't translate the things that aren't needed. I mean, what's left to translate? Aren't the missions and stories/text translated 100% already?

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Our goal for this project is to translate the full game into english, so as to enjoy it completely. No Japanese shall be left untouched, ultimately. We are opting for a professional-like translation quality for this project.

We are still examining the possibilities of releasing alpha patches, but we need everyone's feedback, particularly from the main translators, the website developer (beautifulbeast) and our main coder (FAST6191).

avianchaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love for this translation to come out! You guys are totally awesome for working on such a project, and I'm sure that tons of fans will feel that they are forever indebted to you for doing such an awesome thing. Keep up the awesome work, and we all really appreciate what you are working to achieve!

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Update: Wow, it's great to see new faces on the forum (avianchaos, crawlingpeter), wich is odd since I didn't include a link from the site, wich reminds me I should do it right now.
BTW, looking at the progress bars it seems like they're growing at a 2% per day ratio, wich would allow us to release for October (three months being optimistic). A whole Summer long wait, but I think we'll all agree it's worth it. Many great games are released at that time of the year when children are getting back to school and the Christmas season is near, so it will be like a commercial release in that sense.

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please release early beta version. What you are trying to achieve is to imitate a commercial game`s launch. Fact is, even commercial games have beta testers.
This project is free and public, so take advantage of your situation and let the masses do the testing.

If you`re afraid that people will forget about final version when they get a beta, well, then that means you did a great job! If beta is perfectly playable and is enough for most people, your goal is reached.
However I doubt that will happen. Open source projects make releases often. Even if older version has all the needed features (minus bugfixes), people still care enough to upgrade.

Delaying the release isn`t going to help. It`s only going to hurt the project (Duke Nukem Forever).

That said, I will respect your decision if you`ll decide to release it when it`s 100% done.

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
School has just finished, so I'm here to help again in this project, I guess ^__^;

EDIT: ...And on that note, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies on chr_b_t.bin and chr_s_t.bin especially. People have to really understand that romanized translation be matched up with the kanji/katakana; and the english translation of with the hiragana. =/

As for those who suggested of using machine translation and then cleaning it up after: I don't have a lot of confidence on those things, and they might take longer than translating it properly. But if you really insist that it will be easier, then I challenge you to translate one of the manga descriptions. Clean them up accordingly and post them here
wink.gif

@beta--final releases:
^As what unr69 said, beta releases are necessary to see what went wrong. But from experience, having too much people testing out the beta and asking them to beta-test it will be quite chaotic. Unless we can only send the beta on a controlled amount of people, and only asking those people for their opinion, then I think we should opt for a final-release only. =)

consigliori

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
BTW, looking at the progress bars it seems like they're growing at a 2% per day ratio, wich would allow us to release for October (three months being optimistic). A whole Summer long wait, but I think we'll all agree it's worth it. Many great games are released at that time of the year when children are getting back to school and the Christmas season is near, so it will be like a commercial release in that sense.

October????????????????????????????????
Less than 1 month ago the previsions were set to July...

Ohh... Come on... This really sux hard.

I don´t know who asked for perfection, but the main goal that was playing the game, is already tainted.

Hope this is REALLY perfect at october, cause you will have to deal with high expectatives the way you´re doing it.

KINGOFNOOBS

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But see there is the thing.

If we wait until the entire thing is translated THEN start hacking the rom that is a huge waste of time, if we start hacking now while the translations are being done then that saves alot of time.

HipN

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should release a beta to the public, but only receive feedback from a selected number of members.

Plus, a beta patch would be really great since people can start playing now, during the summer, instead of waiting until October, when school has started again.

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASEEE!!! PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!! RELEASE!!!!!! Man, I got skills when it comes to rhyming......... yeah... PLEASE RELEASE IT!!!!!!! :'(

G

Gilrad

I think it's a bad idea to not release any beta patches. What's happening is, you're making this into a bigger and bigger deal, when really, 90% of everybody only wants the basics translated. Hell, mission translations aren't even necessary since there are FAQs that fill that need. It's a community translation. Unless you spend weeks on it with a fine-tooth comb, you're not going to get it to the quality you want.

But regardless, I feel that making it sound like some big important project is not the best way to approach such a project. Either way I still am going to be doing some translations because I want to help in any way I can. Just my two cents.

Mithrandir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
But see there is the thing.

If we wait until the entire thing is translated THEN start hacking the rom that is a huge waste of time, if we start hacking now while the translations are being done then that saves alot of time.
The problem is that we have only one person who said he'll do the rom hacking... So if he doesn't feel like starting now, then we'll just have to wait
tongue.gif

I tried to translate a few files, but I suck at finding the pointers...

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you tell us how to compile and apply the translation to the game? I mean we/you could release daily builds of the translation itself... Then we could give you heads up, I honestly think in the long run that would speed up the process...

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to say that i am very happy to see the amount of progress that has been made and really wish i could contribute
Just wanted to say good job

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!