Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Japanese Training v0.8
Japanese Language Training DS Homebrew
[2435]japanesetraining.png
Update for Japanese language training Homebrew for the DS, Japanese Training.
See changelog below for details on this update.

Changelog said:
* Test on vocabulary available
* Possibility to add its own vocabulary
download.gif
 Download
icon11.gif
 Development Thread on PlayerAdvance.org

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jackkkkk said:
Is there pronunciation available yet?

Pronunciation is very easy to learn.

A = ah, as in "father"

I = ee, as in "be"

E = eh, as in "bet"

O = oh, as in "boat"

U = oo, as in "boot"

N is a little strange, as it has two types of pronunciation. A lot of the time, you just make the N sound with your throat, not your tongue.

R/L can be tricky, just make an R sound, but touch the back of your upper teeth when you do it.

B/V they don't really have over there, so it can all sound the same when the Japanese try to say words containing them.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MagNetCZ said:
m3rox said:
B/V they don't really have over there, so it can all sound the same when the Japanese try to say words containing them.
I believe they do.

Really? I could have sworn my book said they didn't have one of the two, because when they say "I love you", it can sound like "I rub you". I haven't looked at the book for a while though.

m2pt5

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
Really? I could have sworn my book said they didn't have one of the two, because when they say "I love you", it can sound like "I rub you". I haven't looked at the book for a while though.
There isn't an L sound or a true V sound in Japanese. Transliterating "I love you" into Japanese gets you "Ai rabu yu". However, the R sound in Japanese isn't the same as the English R sound; it's sort of a cross between our R and L sounds. ("I love you" is usually translated into Japanese as "aishiteru".)

Edit: As for N, if it's followed by a vowel (na/ni/nu/ne/no) it's pronounced normally, otherwise it's a more nasally 'n' sound. (Strangely, if the N is followed by a B, it's pronounced as an M. For example, "three hundred" is spelled "sanbyaku" but pronounced "sambyaku".)

Edit2: A couple other odd things of the pronunciation I remember - "hu" is generally pronounced "fu", "si" is pronounced "shi", "ti" is pronounced "chi", "tu" is pronounced "tsu". Following an 'i' character (ki/ni/hi/mi/etc.) with a half-sized 'y' character (ya/yu/yo) changes the pronunciation - for everything but shi, ji, and chi, the 'i' is dropped (ki + small ya = kya) and for those three the 'i' and 'y' are dropped (shi + small ya = sha). The 'tsu' character, when written half-size, indicates to double the next consonant; for an example of both, the word chotto (a little) is written chi + small yo + small tso + to. If you have East Asian fonts installed, like this: ????.

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
m3rox said:
jackkkkk said:
Is there pronunciation available yet?

N is a little strange, as it has two types of pronunciation. A lot of the time, you just make the N sound with your throat, not your tongue.

Is sometimes pronounced as a more "mmm" sound but not quite

Edit- My bad, already commented on sorry

upskirter

Trophies
XP
Country
this is a best homebrew I've seen... when will there be a new version for this one coz mine always froze when I've played too long 10-15 minutes long... is there other homebrew like this one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up