OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
image_315375_460.jpg

PS4's Japanese launch weekend sales were also higher than Wii U's (308,570), but lower than Wii's (371,936) and PS2's (630,552).

That's pretty good in fairness. It brings the PS4 sales up to around 5.6 million worldwide which is excellent at this point of this generation.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
With the latest sales numbers for PS4 that I can find being around 5.4m as of February 15th (though I don't know how reputable VGchartz is), couldn't this, combined with sales from Europe and NA, push the PS4's worldwide sales past the Wii U?

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the latest sales numbers for PS4 that I can find being around 5.4m as of February 15th (though I don't know how reputable VGchartz is), couldn't this, combined with sales from Europe and NA, push the PS4's worldwide sales past the Wii U?
I'm sure the PS4 is ahead by now.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The PS4 will do well in Japan because as far as I can tell it hasn't really got anything to be in competition with either now or in the future. The Wii U is struggling in most places, the Xbox One isn't even being released over there is it? Its a one horse race really when it comes to a true next gen console so its either PS4 or nothing if you want top end console gaming. So I'm not surprised its sold quite well initially. Seeing as Sony wanted 5 million by the end of March and have now revised to say they want 10 million by the end of the year Id be very surprised if the PS4 doesn't hit 10 million by the summer in fairness. It still seems to be that (in the UK at least) that demand is exceeding supply so sales should still creep up quite rapidly.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The PS4 will do well in Japan because as far as I can tell it hasn't really got anything to be in competition with either now or in the future. The Wii U is struggling in most places, the Xbox One isn't even being released over there is it? Its a one horse race really when it comes to a true next gen console so its either PS4 or nothing if you want top end console gaming. So I'm not surprised its sold quite well initially. Seeing as Sony wanted 5 million by the end of March and have now revised to say they want 10 million by the end of the year Id be very surprised if the PS4 doesn't hit 10 million by the summer in fairness. It still seems to be that (in the UK at least) that demand is exceeding supply so sales should still creep up quite rapidly.

Japanese people don't give a rats ass about foreign console brands so it's best for Microsoft to just give up instead of wasting money they won't get back anyway.

However, if they made an Xbox One Kinect-less bundle exclusively for Japan that would be pretty annoying seeing how everyone (Europe/US) has been asking for it.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony's next objective: PlayStation 4 Slim!

Nah, first they have to do a couple of revisions of the PS4 phat, like one that reduces wobble (but removes some other feature, I dunno what since there's nothing obvious like BC or OtherOS to take off, but I'm sure they'll think of something).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o