Jack Thompson to get permament ban, Veho to take his place

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
From TripleTags.com:

The titan that he thinks he is going going down quick and now instead of a Enhanced Bar for ten years the Judge in this case one Dava Tunis has asked for a Permanent Ban on Thompson to never practice law again in Flordia.

Quotes from the gamespot article found below,

Citing a 1996 precedent, she said that first, any "judgment must be fair to society, both in terms of protecting the public from unethical conduct and at the same time not denying the public the services of a qualified lawyer as a result of undue harshness in imposing penalty. Second, the judgment must be... sufficient to punish a breach of ethics and at the same time encourage reformation and rehabilitation. Third, the judgment must be severe enough to deter others who might be prone or tempted to become involved in like violations."

"Respondent [Thompson] was found guilty of three violations of rule 4-8.4Â for engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation," said Judge Tunis in her ruling. "Respondent was also found guilty of making false statements (two violations of 4-3.3(a)(1) and two violations of 4-8.2(a)). Further, he has repeatedly indicated, verbally and in writing, that his conduct is justified to promote and champion his personally engendered moral values and causes."

Judge Tunis stated that because of his actions and the fact he wishes to continue doing said conduct that makes Jack well Jack see as moved for a recommended a penalty of "permanent disbarment" for Thompson "with no leave to reapply for admission." She also ordered him to pay the court $43,675 in "disciplinary costs," including $23,538 to pay for transcripts used to outline 27 violations of five Florida bar rules.

Its hard to feel sorry for Jack, because he brought this upon himself, so it looks like Jack is two feet in the grave now or up a creek with out a paddle.

I'm going to the street to celebrate naked!

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yay
laugh.gif

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VVoltz™ said:

*Goes out to join* This is amazingly amazing. We should make an Ace-like game in loving memory of Jack Thompson.
wub.gif

EDIT: I have no idea what or whom Veho is, but Veoh is the streaming site you are thinking of.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Sephiroth said:
Who's Jack Thompson and Veho?

Veho is a member on the GBAtemp forums while jack Thompson is;

QUOTEJohn Bruce "Jack" Thompson (born July 25, 1951) is an American attorney and activist, based in Coral Gables, Florida. Thompson, a Christian conservative[1], is known for his public advocacy of conservative Christian moral standards. He is also an activist against video games such as Grand Theft Auto and Bully.

After an initial foray into politics, Thompson concentrated his legal efforts against perceived obscenity, particularly in rap music and broadcasts by radio personality Howard Stern. More recently, he has focused on violence as well, particularly in the content of computer and video games and their alleged effects on children.[2] He is a vocal advocate of banning stylized violence in video games, a role for which he became known in 1997, while representing the parents of the three students killed in the Heath High School shooting.

His involvement with music, gaming, and the media (and especially use of legal threats) have raised questions about First Amendment rights. The Florida Bar is currently seeking sanctions against Thompson for inappropriate conduct.[3]

ohmy.gif

Is this real and not a fake article? I think I might have to celebrate naked with you.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is suppose to be real.

the Veho part is fake thou, or at least I think it is.

Xcalibur said:
Sephiroth said:

Veho is a member on the GBAtemp forums while jack Thompson is;

QUOTEJohn Bruce "Jack" Thompson (born July 25, 1951) is an American attorney and activist, based in Coral Gables, Florida. Thompson, a Christian conservative[1], is known for his public advocacy of conservative Christian moral standards. He is also an activist against video games such as Grand Theft Auto and Bully.

After an initial foray into politics, Thompson concentrated his legal efforts against perceived obscenity, particularly in rap music and broadcasts by radio personality Howard Stern. More recently, he has focused on violence as well, particularly in the content of computer and video games and their alleged effects on children.[2] He is a vocal advocate of banning stylized violence in video games, a role for which he became known in 1997, while representing the parents of the three students killed in the Heath High School shooting.

His involvement with music, gaming, and the media (and especially use of legal threats) have raised questions about First Amendment rights. The Florida Bar is currently seeking sanctions against Thompson for inappropriate conduct.[3]

ohmy.gif

Is this real and not a fake article? I think I might have to celebrate naked with you.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Parsaw said:
I'm assuming Jack Thompson is the owner of Veho OR he's some law dude. I only skimmed the article.. Veho is a video streaming site, I'm pretty sure.

euphemism said:
VVoltz™ said:

*Goes out to join* This is amazingly amazing. We should make an Ace-like game in loving memory of Jack Thompson.
wub.gif

EDIT: I have no idea what or whom Veho is, but Veoh is the streaming site you are thinking of.

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Jul 10 2008, 04:52 AM)
I do remember seeing Veho in the forums, I didn't know if that was who you meant though

I feel sorry for Veho. Such an awesome dude and all you nooblets don't know him
frown.gif

ejx982

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JT needs to learn he isn't above the law, I'm hoping that this suggestion from the Judge he'll realize that instead of "attacking", he should be suggesting, and putting new legislation to monitor the flow of violent video games to children, not a country wide ban on them. His idea is since cars can cause accidents, we all should ride bicycles

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sephiroth said:

QUOTE(Parsaw @ Jul 9 2008, 10:47 PM) I'm assuming Jack Thompson is the owner of Veho OR he's some law dude. I only skimmed the article.. Veho is a video streaming site, I'm pretty sure.

You...don't know who they are? Jack Thompson, one of the biggest enemies of video games, and veho, one of our best members? You honestly do not know you they are?

That is...despicable.

A4NoOb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please clarify what grounds specifically he was basically fired for?

QUOTE said:
"Respondent [Thompson] was found guilty of three violations of rule 4-8.4© for engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation," said Judge Tunis in her ruling. "Respondent was also found guilty of making false statements (two violations of 4-3.3(a)(1) and two violations of 4-8.2(a)). Further, he has repeatedly indicated, verbally and in writing, that his conduct is justified to promote and champion his personally engendered moral values and causes."

This is basically free speech is it not?

PBC

What!? I can change this??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think its important to mention that Veho is a member of GBAtemp and is doing law studies/is a lawyer? I forget which...

And to A4noob
You are not "free" to lie to the court and slander people with statements you claim as true but know are false. Which I'm pretty sure is why he is in trouble.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
'Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I tried Cavier for the first time today. That shit is nasty. Don't get why people like it.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I tried Cavier for the first time today. That shit is nasty. Don't get why people like it.