Jack Thompson to get permament ban, Veho to take his place

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by VVoltz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    From TripleTags.com:

The titan that he thinks he is going going down quick and now instead of a Enhanced Bar for ten years the Judge in this case one Dava Tunis has asked for a Permanent Ban on Thompson to never practice law again in Flordia.

Quotes from the gamespot article found below,

Citing a 1996 precedent, she said that first, any "judgment must be fair to society, both in terms of protecting the public from unethical conduct and at the same time not denying the public the services of a qualified lawyer as a result of undue harshness in imposing penalty. Second, the judgment must be... sufficient to punish a breach of ethics and at the same time encourage reformation and rehabilitation. Third, the judgment must be severe enough to deter others who might be prone or tempted to become involved in like violations."

"Respondent [Thompson] was found guilty of three violations of rule 4-8.4Â for engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation," said Judge Tunis in her ruling. "Respondent was also found guilty of making false statements (two violations of 4-3.3(a)(1) and two violations of 4-8.2(a)). Further, he has repeatedly indicated, verbally and in writing, that his conduct is justified to promote and champion his personally engendered moral values and causes."

Judge Tunis stated that because of his actions and the fact he wishes to continue doing said conduct that makes Jack well Jack see as moved for a recommended a penalty of "permanent disbarment" for Thompson "with no leave to reapply for admission." She also ordered him to pay the court $43,675 in "disciplinary costs," including $23,538 to pay for transcripts used to outline 27 violations of five Florida bar rules.

Its hard to feel sorry for Jack, because he brought this upon himself, so it looks like Jack is two feet in the grave now or up a creek with out a paddle.

I'm going to the street to celebrate naked!

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    Who's Jack Thompson and Veho?

3. Parsaw

Member Parsaw GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm assuming Jack Thompson is the owner of Veho OR he's some law dude. I only skimmed the article.. Veho is a video streaming site, I'm pretty sure.

4. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
  5. euphemism

Member euphemism GBAtemp Regular

United States

*Goes out to join* This is amazingly amazing. We should make an Ace-like game in loving memory of Jack Thompson. [​IMG]

EDIT: I have no idea what or whom Veho is, but Veoh is the streaming site you are thinking of.

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Is this real and not a fake article? I think I might have to celebrate naked with you.

7. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    It is suppose to be real.

the Veho part is fake thou, or at least I think it is.

8. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I do remember seeing Veho in the forums, I didn't know if that was who you meant though

9. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    looks like someone got the ban hammah.

10. feds4u

Banned feds4u Banned

United States
    The judge is only suggesting this ban. JT can still appeal. Lets hope he loses his case.

Sadly though JT is just one head of the hydra. There will always be someone to take his place.

11. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom

I feel sorry for Veho. Such an awesome dude and all you nooblets don't know him [​IMG]

12. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    All he has to do is move to another state to practice again, no?

13. XeonZ

Member XeonZ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Get outta my state Jack Thompson. O:

14. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Perma-ban!

15. ejx982

Newcomer ejx982 Member

JT needs to learn he isn't above the law, I'm hoping that this suggestion from the Judge he'll realize that instead of "attacking", he should be suggesting, and putting new legislation to monitor the flow of violent video games to children, not a country wide ban on them. His idea is since cars can cause accidents, we all should ride bicycles

16. kitetsu

Newcomer kitetsu Advanced Member

Australia
    Jack Thompson is a menace to society and he has long used up all the lulz juice to feed those who laugh at him (like me).

17. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    You...don't know who they are? Jack Thompson, one of the biggest enemies of video games, and veho, one of our best members? You honestly do not know you they are?

That is...despicable.

18. A4NoOb

Newcomer A4NoOb Advanced Member

United States
    Can someone please clarify what grounds specifically he was basically fired for?

This is basically free speech is it not?

19. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    I think its important to mention that Veho is a member of GBAtemp and is doing law studies/is a lawyer? I forget which...

And to A4noob
    You are not "free" to lie to the court and slander people with statements you claim as true but know are false. Which I'm pretty sure is why he is in trouble.

20. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    'Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
    Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
    Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
    Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
    Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
    Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
    Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge'