Emulation Issues with 3 gameboy VC Pokemon games I dumped

ninjamummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently dumped all my roms. Pokemon yellow, crystal and red, they all give the same message, all my other roms work. I even had other GBA VC titles and they worked on Citra no problem. I was told to unpack them but I'm unfamiliar with that. How can I get these to work on GBAtemp?

Attachments

• citravcgb.png
    citravcgb.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 72

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I recently dumped all my roms. Pokemon yellow, crystal and red, they all give the same message, all my other roms work. I even had other GBA VC titles and they worked on Citra no problem. I was told to unpack them but I'm unfamiliar with that. How can I get these to work on GBAtemp?
What's the message? :mellow:

ninjamummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why you want to run these in Citra when you could play them in a Game Boy emulator?
2 layers of emulation is rather pointless.
its how they were dumped, I cant control the way Godmode does that
Post automatically merged:

Easiest thing is just to grab those titles from google. Those titles are always going to say that because nintendo made them to not use savestates
What do you mean grab from google? I just want to figure out how to make my files work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
its how they were dumped, I cant control the way Godmode does that

What do you mean grab from google? I just want to figure out how to make my files work.
You can extract the .cia files and get the ROM files out of them.
GM9 might even let you mount the installed titles and browse the embedded romfs and extract the ROM files directly, without dumping the .cia.

ninjamummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can extract the .cia files and get the ROM files out of them.
GM9 might even let you mount the installed titles and browse the embedded romfs and extract the ROM files directly, without dumping the .cia.
How would I extract the rom? I looked through GM9 and didn't see any other dumping options. I'm still trying to figure out what other program I would need.

Sure, but the games shouldn't freeze up at this message

I looked into it a bit and its an anti hack thing Nintendo did. The games detect the save state stuff and locks it out for VC Pokemon games from what I read

xsdfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
How would I extract the rom? I looked through GM9 and didn't see any other dumping options. I'm still trying to figure out what other program I would need.
1. mount the .cia in gm9 (select the .cia > "CIA image options..." > "Mount image to drive"; should be mounted as drive G)
2. open the "0000.00000002" > "romfs" > "rom" directory
3. select the file > "Copy to 0:/gm9/out"
4. rename the file found at <sd root>/gm9/out to <foo>.gb/gbc (.gb if its a gameboy rom, .gbc if its a gameboy color rom)
5. copy it from your sd card (<sd root>/gm9/out/<foo>.gb/gbc) and run it on an emulator

this was done with a pokemon crystal .cia, but should apply to any gameboy/gameboy color game.

Last edited by xsdfr,

ninjamummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. mount the .cia in gm9 (select the .cia > "CIA image options..." > "Mount image to drive"; should be mounted as drive G)
2. open the "0000.00000002" > "romfs" > "rom" directory
3. select the file > "Copy to 0:/gm9/out"
4. rename the file found at <sd root>/gm9/out to <foo>.gb/gbc (.gb if its a gameboy rom, .gbc if its a gameboy color rom)
5. copy it from your sd card (<sd root>/gm9/out/<foo>.gb/gbc) and run it on an emulator

this was done with a pokemon crystal .cia, but should apply to any gameboy/gameboy color game.
Do you know if it possible to convert them just on the PC?

xsdfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Do you know if it possible to convert them just on the PC?
sure.

1. decrypt and extract the .cia to somewhere on your PC
2. in the folder where you extracted the .cia, go to "RomFS" > "rom"
3. rename the file found in the rom folder and rename it "foo.gb/gbc" (.gb for a gameboy rom, .gbc for a gameboy color rom; replace foo with a name of your liking)
4. copy the file to a safe place on your PC and run it in an emulator

again, i did this with a pokemon crystal .cia, but this should apply to any gameboy/gameboy color game.

you can decrypt/extract 3DS roms with quite a few tools. i decrypted the .cia and turned it into a .cci with Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor and then extracted the decrypted .cci with .Net 3DS Toolkit.

another handy way to access the contents of the .cia on PC is using ninfs and following the steps i described in my previous post. this bypasses the need for decrypting the .cia, but you will need your boot9.bin file and a seeddb.bin or a seed for the game you're mounting.
  • you can dump your boot9.bin using GodMode9 and you can dump your seeddb.bin using GodMode9 and SEEDconv. instructions for the seeddb.bin are in the github repo readme. just know that you can't mount the .cia if your seeddb.bin doesn't contain the seed of the game you're trying to mount, that is if the game is not/was not installed on the 3DS you dumped the seeddb.bin from.

Last edited by xsdfr,

ninjamummy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure.

1. decrypt and extract the .cia to somewhere on your PC
2. in the folder where you extracted the .cia, go to "RomFS" > "rom"
3. rename the file found in the rom folder and rename it "foo.gb/gbc" (.gb for a gameboy rom, .gbc for a gameboy color rom; replace foo with a name of your liking)
4. copy the file to a safe place on your PC and run it in an emulator

again, i did this with a pokemon crystal .cia, but this should apply to any gameboy/gameboy color game.

you can decrypt/extract 3DS roms with quite a few tools. i decrypted the .cia and turned it into a .cci with Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor and then extracted the decrypted .cci with .Net 3DS Toolkit.

another handy way to access the contents of the .cia on PC is using ninfs and following the steps i described in my previous post. this bypasses the need for decrypting the .cia, but you will need your boot9.bin file and a seeddb.bin or a seed for the game you're mounting.
  • you can dump your boot9.bin using GodMode9 and you can dump your seeddb.bin using GodMode9 and SEEDconv. instructions for the seeddb.bin are in the github repo readme. just know that you can't mount the .cia if your seeddb.bin doesn't contain the seed of the game you're trying to mount, that is if the game is not/was not installed on the 3DS you dumped the seeddb.bin from.
Thanks for all the info, I got them all working!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol