Hardware Is Wii U Motion Controlled?

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Ubisoft project director already announced that the Wii U version of ACIII would have 3D support for both the main screen and the gamepad.
i didnt know the gamepad itself was 3D enabled, are you sure about that? i dont think it is...

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/ubisoft-wii-u-is-3d-capable-and-for-the-gamepad-too

IMGMR got it directly from a product manager at Ubisoft itself. unless one of them is lying, it definitely is 3D capable.
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, it's anaglyph! of course, i thought you meant glasses-less stereoscopic like the 3DS,
they could certainly do 3D with anaglyph on the gamepad, and any TV i guess.
but i still think glasses-less 3D would only apply to TVs capable of it. (and not the gamepad)

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh, it's anaglyph! of course, i thought you meant glasses-less stereoscopic like the 3DS,
they could certainly do 3D with anaglyph on the gamepad, and any TV i guess.
but i still think glasses-less 3D would only apply to TVs capable of it. (and not the gamepad)
Glasses-free 3D would be a problem on the Wii U, since you have to switch your gaze from the TV to the gamepad. It's the same reason only the top screen is in 3D on the 3DS, and why the bottom screen is used generally only for items, inventory, etc so you don't have to look at it too often.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glasses-free 3D would be a problem on the Wii U, since you have to switch your gaze from the TV to the gamepad. It's the same reason only the top screen is in 3D on the 3DS, and why the bottom screen is used generally only for items, inventory, etc so you don't have to look at it too often.
i'm guessing the reason why the touchscreen on the 3DS is 2D (other than power consumption, engineering and costs, etc) from a design pov
is that if it were 3D and you were seeing it as such, when you'd touch the screen it'd be awkward since it's still a 2D flat surface, so the depth percetion on it wouldnt match eye-to-hand.
:blink:

same as the WiiU (TV+gamepad)

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i'm guessing the reason why the touchscreen on the 3DS is 2D (other than power consumption, engineering and costs, etc) from a design pov
is that if it were 3D and you were seeing it as such, when you'd touch the screen it'd be awkward since it's still a 2D flat surface, so the depth percetion on it wouldnt match eye-to-hand.
:blink:

same as the WiiU (TV+gamepad)
That, too.

My guess is that 3D on the GamePad might mostly be for playing the game directly on the gamepad though, rather than the gamepad's special features.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
That, too.
My guess is that 3D on the GamePad might mostly be for playing the game directly on the gamepad though, rather than the gamepad's special features.
If we're talking about the red/blue type 3D glasses, then I'm sure it'll work fine without the TV.

Normally, though, a 3D TV that requires glasses uses shutter glasses (the ones that need batteries or charging). The TV jumps the frame rate up from 60fps to 120fps and the glasses go taking turns which eye is blacked out and which one is clear so 60 of those FPS go into your left eye and 60 go into your right eye.

In that case, as long as the GamePad can actually deal out that kind of frame rate and the two screens are fairly well synced, there shouldn't be any problem seeing 3D as long as the TV's also showing the WiiU since I think the screen still sends a timing signal to the glasses to make sure it's synced with the TV. The glasses might not sync well with just the GamePad by itself.

The article didn't specify which kind of glasses but it did phrase it as seeing 3D both in the gamepad and the TV at the same time which might be a clue.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're talking about the red/blue type 3D glasses, then I'm sure it'll work fine without the TV.

Normally, though, a 3D TV that requires glasses uses shutter glasses (the ones that need batteries or charging). The TV jumps the frame rate up from 60fps to 120fps and the glasses go taking turns which eye is blacked out and which one is clear so 60 of those FPS go into your left eye and 60 go into your right eye.

In that case, as long as the GamePad can actually deal out that kind of frame rate and the two screens are fairly well synced, there shouldn't be any problem seeing 3D as long as the TV's also showing the WiiU since I think the screen still sends a timing signal to the glasses to make sure it's synced with the TV. The glasses might not sync well with just the GamePad by itself.

The article didn't specify which kind of glasses but it did phrase it as seeing 3D both in the gamepad and the TV at the same time which might be a clue.
i'm guessing you didnt read, since it was specified as anaglyph and not stereoscopic.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
i'm guessing you didnt read, since it was specified as anaglyph and not stereoscopic.
If you're saying the red/blue type glasses, the closest thing is the generic semi-cartoony 3D glasses image that just happens to be shows since it IS an article about 3D. I didn't say it wasn't using that type either. I just said I doubted it since it mentions 3DTV's in the same way.
Way down in the peanut gallery comments some say they hope it's not the red/blue glasses and others also say it'll probably be with the type of shutter glasses that a 3DTV would use.

The word "anaglyph", though, CAN also be used for any stereoscopic 3D image (which I WAS talking about) While this would include the many combinations of colored glasses, it would also include polarized glasses, a 3D headset, cross-eyed 3D, shutter glasses, glassesless 3D images, etc.

Even though it's the same thing, maybe we were talking about different articles because the one I was talking about :
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comments/ubisoft-wii-u-is-3d-capable-and-for-the-gamepad-too
doesn't actually use the work "anaglyph" or any of its derivatives anywhere on the page.

suppow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same can be said about Wii. I wished that someone could have played around with both anaglyph and stereoscopic 3D on Wii. I'm sure that h Wii U will have real 3D support.
AFAIK the virtualboy emulator (included with Wiimednafen) on the Wii, had an option to use anaglyph for the 3D effect,
but i dont really like anaglyph in practice, i do love it in theory, but when it comes o using it, it never ends up working so well and you always end up seeing half red, half blue in most situations.
i neither like sterescopic glasses, since the shutterspeed cause headaches, i'm sure the change in light/darkness so close to the cornea and too fast for the pupils to react and adapt to it, is sure to be harmful i believe.
truth be told, i like neither methods using glasses, and wearing glasses myself, no matter what anyone says, it's still bothersome to use on top of that.

i'd think the best (and perhaps safest) method is non-glasses stereoscopic, like used on the 3DS, though that can cause headaches and dizziness too i think. i'm not sure but i think the Playstation TV uses something similar to that if not stereoscopic itself, to achieve non-splitscreen multiplayer.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the virtualboy emulator (included with Wiimednafen) on the Wii, had an option to use anaglyph for the 3D effect,
but i dont really like anaglyph in practice, i do love it in theory, but when it comes o using it, it never ends up working so well and you always end up seeing half red, half blue in most situations.
i neither like sterescopic glasses, since the shutterspeed cause headaches, i'm sure the change in light/darkness so close to the cornea and too fast for the pupils to react and adapt to it, is sure to be harmful i believe.
truth be told, i like neither methods using glasses, and wearing glasses myself, no matter what anyone says, it's still bothersome to use on top of that.

i'd think the best (and perhaps safest) method is non-glasses stereoscopic, like used on the 3DS, though that can cause headaches and dizziness too i think. i'm not sure but i think the Playstation TV uses something similar to that if not stereoscopic itself, to achieve non-splitscreen multiplayer.

I never had an issue with Anaglyph. It works better when there are not many reds and blues within a frame. Alse when the red and blue filters are not that rich. It would be awesome if anaglyph was a standard for those of us without 3DTV's

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Maybe the best way to avoid headaches like that is having a separate screen for each eye to limit the flickering. Something like this
article-2053969-0E8F9D8500000578-233_468x300.jpg

I do understand, though, that this configuration can cause dizzyness / motion sickness if you move your head too much since your brain isn't expecting the image to move with your head. I would hope it wouldn't damage your actual eyesight, though.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the best way to avoid headaches like that is having a separate screen for each eye to limit the flickering. Something like this
article-2053969-0E8F9D8500000578-233_468x300.jpg

I do understand, though, that this configuration can cause dizzyness / motion sickness if you move your head too much since your brain isn't expecting the image to move with your head. I would hope it wouldn't damage your actual eyesight, though.

yeah, sure....
220px-Virtual-Boy-Set.png

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
yeah, sure....
220px-Virtual-Boy-Set.png
At least MODERN tech allows for 720p COLOR widescreen on those things and it's a lot lighter, too.

Now that I think of it, though, this wouldn't really work all that well for the Wii U. It's kinda hard to see the GamePad screen with that on your face. Maybe just for Pro Controller games.

Reactions: NahuelDS

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
correct me if I wrong but... do we really need 720 on that thing? I mean, my eyes doesn't do HD :P
Mine do. If they didn't, I wouldn't have any use for a HD screen in the first place. (which I use my same eyes to view.)
If I can tell the difference between HD and SD from the other side of the living room, I think when it's right up next to my eyes I'd be able to tell even more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated