Hacking Is this "jailbreak service" legit?

Is this safe? Does it work?

• Yes, it's safe/legit

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No, it's not safe/legit

Votes: 21 72.4%

• Total voters

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jail·break
ˈjālˌbrāk/
noun
noun: jailbreak; plural noun: jailbreaks; noun: gaolbreak; plural noun: gaolbreaks; noun: jail-break; plural noun: jail-breaks
  1. 1.
    an escape from jail.
verb
Computing
verb: jailbreak; 3rd person present: jailbreaks; past tense: jailbroke; gerund or present participle: jailbreaking; past participle: jailbroken; verb: jail-break; 3rd person present: jail-breaks; past tense: jail-broke; gerund or present participle: jail-breaking; past participle: jail-broken
modify (a smartphone or other electronic device) to remove restrictions imposed by the manufacturer or operator, e.g. to allow the installation of unauthorized software.

EDIT: @dubbz82 you don't seem to grasp the concept of being Jailed. The 3DS family doesn't allow unsigned code to run. Period. This is just like jail. Android devices, however, allow unsigned code to run, but the code has restrictions on what it can access. This is SANDBOXING. Sandboxing is what 3DS doesn't have, because there was never a need for sandboxing in a device that is never supposed to allow unauthorized code in the first place. Forget about limitations of HBL with a userland-only exploit, because that was done on purpose, and not by Nintendo. Breaking out of the sandbox on an Android device is called rooting, because it uses a *nix-like file/security system and the super user is called root on those systems.

Last edited by urherenow,

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jail·break
ˈjālˌbrāk/
noun
noun: jailbreak; plural noun: jailbreaks; noun: gaolbreak; plural noun: gaolbreaks; noun: jail-break; plural noun: jail-breaks
  1. 1.
    an escape from jail.
verb
Computing
verb: jailbreak; 3rd person present: jailbreaks; past tense: jailbroke; gerund or present participle: jailbreaking; past participle: jailbroken; verb: jail-break; 3rd person present: jail-breaks; past tense: jail-broke; gerund or present participle: jail-breaking; past participle: jail-broken
modify (a smartphone or other electronic device) to remove restrictions imposed by the manufacturer or operator, e.g. to allow the installation of unauthorized software.

EDIT: @dubbz82 you don't seem to grasp the concept of being Jailed. The 3DS family doesn't allow unsigned code to run. Period. This is just like jail. Android devices, however, allow unsigned code to run, but the code has restrictions on what it can access. This is SANDBOXING. Sandboxing is what 3DS doesn't have, because there was never a need for sandboxing in a device that is never supposed to allow unauthorized code in the first place. Forget about limitations of HBL with a userland-only exploit, because that was done on purpose, and not by Nintendo. Breaking out of the sandbox on an Android device is called rooting, because it uses a *nix-like file/security system and the super user is called root on those systems.

Believe whatever you will, I guess. I'll take my several decades of Unix knowledge and just walk away from this argument, because quite frankly, it's not worth arguing over.

Reactions: Quantumcat

PullSelfie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone arguing over whether it's jailbreaking or not, DO IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

I really hate it when someone asks for help, and somehow, the thought of helping that person turns into arguing over something else entirely. Take it to another thread, pms, whatever. Just not here.

Reactions: Ricken

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
As in, locked in a jail cell.
Analogies aren't literal. You're failing to realize that a "jail" is a literal thing in this sense. I continue to explain this for whatever reason, but when one "jailbreaks" a device they are literally breaking out of the jail. A jail is essentially a sandbox, which runs a defined set of privileges that the host OS defines. To break out of one one must find an exploit in some sort of software running inside of the jail that has more access than it should. Somebody has already explained this, and the Wikipedia article on jails has been posted twice, but for whatever reason this isn't sinking in. Hacking a 3DS is not the equivalent of jailbreaking, even if the end goal is running code not meant to be ran on the device. 3DS hacking doesn't involve breaking out of a jail or a sandbox in general, therefore it's not the same as jailbreaking. This is why it's incorrect to refer to it as such, and why it's bad to use "jailbreak" as an umbrella term for any sort of security circumvention. Nuance is very necessary when it comes to this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really hate it when someone asks for help, and somehow, the thought of helping that person turns into arguing over something else entirely. Take it to another thread, pms, whatever. Just not here.
You were helped. What's the problem?

Last edited by Joom,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You're looking at a site that will charge you more than a second 3DS/2DS just to mod your console using free and openly available exploits.

You want help? Don't do it. Go buy a 3DS/2DS instead, use it to mod yours, then sell it to make back whatever you paid for it.

Reactions: Quantumcat

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm seeing "Jailbreak" a lot lately and now have the Thin Lizzy song stuck in my head, which is not a bad thing at all.

Apparently NTRBoothax is coming very soon, so, get yourself an Acekard 2i or whatever and give Pokedit the finger.

Reactions: Joom

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm seeing "Jailbreak" a lot lately and now have the Thin Lizzy song stuck in my head, which is not a bad thing at all.

Apparently NTRBoothax is coming very soon, so, get yourself an Acekard 2i or whatever and give Pokedit the finger.

Pokedit should be given the finger alot sooner than this with how badly they ripping people off.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokedit should be given the finger alot sooner than this with how badly they ripping people off.

Quite honestly seeing them mentioned here reminded me they still exist, because I figure with the last 2 years of 3DS hacking advancements, that they'd be rendered obsolete.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Off topic, but I'm glad that people laughed at me when I bought an AK2i the moment Normatt and SciresM made the initial announcement on IRC. Now that prices amongst retailers have skyrocketed I feel a sense of well deserved smugness.

Last edited by Joom,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Analogies aren't literal. You're failing to realize that a "jail" is a literal thing in this sense.
You're failing to realize that not everything is FreeBSD, and it doesn't own a copyright or trademark to "jailbreak". 3DS is as compartmentalized as anything else. Initial hacks into the system involved pivoting stacks and overwriting across bounds, indeed breaking out of one of the boxes. Go ahead and study the a9lh slides again. What 3DS hacks DON'T involve, is escalation of privileges (and there aren't different user spaces, even though there are different process spaces). So it's definitely not rooting, you say it's not jailbreaking, so what do you call it? Hacking is too general of a term. I was hacking C64 games in the 80s. Not the same thing. Methinks you need to break out of that box you seem to put the term "jailbreak" into.

The definition I posted above fits EXACTLY what we're doing to the 3DS. Like it or not, the term Jailbreak has been stolen.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't understand the point of arguing over the term used (although I will agree that "jailbreaking" isn't the proper term.) We should all just agree on one thing, the dude is ripping people off and we should be discouraging this kind of service. Not only are they using free and open source software for profit, but they are robbing you of the experience. If you don't know what you are doing and use a service like this, then you will continue to not know what you are doing. This is something that needs to be discouraged because we do see the effects of these services happening on the forums. People updating and freaking out because they haven't updated their CFW in forever. People getting scared and trying to remove their hacks because they don't know what they are doing. These services are harmful to the enduser because you can't buy knowledge. It worries me more knowing that we most likely only help a fraction of userbase this person has created.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
You're failing to realize that not everything is FreeBSD, and it doesn't own a copyright or trademark to "jailbreak".
"Jails" exist outside of the FreeBSD ecosystem. They're not totally tied to it. Linux has a similar environment known as "chroot" (note that a chroot environment isn't as secure, but is the same concept). Regardless, this is just you wanting a term to mean something when it doesn't.
3DS is as compartmentalized as anything else. Initial hacks into the system involved pivoting stacks and overwriting across bounds, indeed breaking out of one of the boxes.
And yet, it's still not jailbreaking.
Go ahead and study the a9lh slides again. What 3DS hacks DON'T involve, is escalation of privileges (and there aren't different user spaces, even though there are different process spaces).
Lolwut? What do you think svchax and all the other privilege escalation exploits were that allowed title downgrading and legit CIA installation?
So it's definitely not rooting, you say it's not jailbreaking, so what do you call it? Hacking is too general of a term. I was hacking C64 games in the 80s. Not the same thing. Methinks you need to break out of that box you seem to put the term "jailbreak" into.
Again, you're wanting more to be attributed to a word than what it actually means. "Hacking" is another one of those umbrella terms that actually fits the 3DS perfectly since neither "jailbreaking" nor "rooting" is accurate, and "privilege escalation to attain ARM9 arbitrary code execution" doesn't particularly roll off the tongue.
Like it or not, the term Jailbreak has been stolen.
By who? Every security researcher ever knows what jailbreaking is. You can't just change the meaning of a word because you want to to fit your set of beliefs. Oh wait, I just had an epiphany. You're totally right, and from here on out I'll refer to the 3DS as "pumpkins". Cause you see, the 3DS has a parallax display that gives us the perceived illusion of a 3D image, and pumpkins exist within the third dimension which we all know is an illusion because we're too inferior to perceive a higher dimension, so that means pumpkins and the 3DS are the same thing.

Last edited by Joom,

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>1980s - I bet in 2017 they'll have flying cars and shoes that tie themselves!
>2017 - Petty arguing on an Internet forum regarding the proper term for the 3DS being modded.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
>1980s - I bet in 2017 they'll have flying cars and shoes that tie themselves!
>2017 - Petty arguing on an Internet forum regarding the proper term for the 3DS being modded.
Hey man, it wouldn't happen if people would just go "huh, I never knew that".

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

jail·break
ˈjālˌbrāk/
noun
  1. 1.
    an escape from jail.
verb
Computing

Except jails run unsigned and custom code without issue all the time. The purpose of a jail isn't to prevent this code from being ran, but rather to prevent a user from gaining restricted access to the rest of the system. Jails typically allow one to run any code they want and contains it within the jail. Also, rooting Android is nothing like breaking out of a sandbox. A jail and a sandbox are one in the same; they run within the host OS independent of the host. Dalvik itself is an example of a sandbox, but it doesn't separate root access from the user. This is done by the kernel and SELINUX (and other bullshit that OEMs include).

Last edited by Joom,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The purpose of a jail isn't to prevent this code from being ran, but rather to prevent a user from gaining restricted access to the rest of the system.
Isn't that what you just said svchax does?

anyway, the amusement is gone. Thanks for playing. Time to play around with NTRBOOT! Plenty of fully updated 3DSes on my ship that need hax :P

EDIT2: Oh, and there's the final answer for OP. Screw the paid service. NTRBOOT should now be the easiest way to get'er done, hands down! 3ds.guide is everybody's friend again.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I used to do mods for like 20 bucks or a joint or something back in the day. 130 dollars, fuck that shit. Anyone that would pay someone that much money to do a simple mod doesn't need the thing. They need to stick to a stock system, preferably somewhere with parental supervision.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I used to do mods for like 20 bucks or a joint or something back in the day. 130 dollars, fuck that shit. Anyone that would pay someone that much money to do a simple mod doesn't need the thing. They need to stick to a stock system, preferably somewhere with parental supervision.
This. I used to hack PSPs during my freshman year of high school. It was $20 for custom firmware, and an extra $2 for every ISO/CSO a person wanted. I lived in a very rural area at the time, and was a part of one of two households in the entire area that was lucky enough to be part of AT&T's rural DSL tests with a whopping 128 kb/s download rate. So yeah, it was kinda scummy of me to sell pirated games, but DSL was a spectacle to behold whilst living in such an area (this was 2007 and people were still subscribing to AOL) and kids were more than eager to pay a couple bucks for $60 games.

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...