Hacking Is there any way to unbrick a Wii without using a CD/DVD/Disc media?

Resident Stevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, yes I know. Precautions, research on the internet, be more careful not to brick your Wii, blah blah blah.

Ok now that I've gotten all that out of the way, here's my situation. Currently my Wii is bricked (System Menu 3.4U). At the moment, it shows the health warning screen, but no flashing "Press A to Continue" dialog shows up. The last thing I was attempting to do prior to this was using WiiND to attempt to try and copy my saves off the NAND that can't usually be copied to an SD Card in order to back them up out of fear of losing my saves. Now, the reason I was doing this, is because prior to that, a week or two ago, the disc drive in my Wii spontaneously stopped working, and was about to send the system into Nintendo for repair. Well obviously I can't do that now (I am currently researching other options/repair places that don't give a crap whether or not the Wii is hacked). So currently I have a bricked Wii with a bad disc drive, so I can't use any recovery discs. And I would like to get in there and uninstall HBC and clear out any evidence of hacking out of the system. So, does anybody know of a way of unbricking the Wii through a SD card method or USB method? I am already aware of savemiifrii and that's my first step on the list. I'm looking for a step 2.

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what exactly is wrong with your DVD drive but if the drive still works but only has a weak lazer you could tweak the POT on the DVD drive to turn the power up on the lazer allowing it to read disc again. Then you could unbrick using rescue menu.

Resident Stevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MattMan said:
Not sure what exactly is wrong with your DVD drive but if the drive still works but only has a weak lazer you could tweak the POT on the DVD drive to turn the power up on the lazer allowing it to read disc again. Then you could unbrick using rescue menu.

Not entirely sure if it's just a laser issue. When I inserted a disc it would click a couple of times like the laser was moving along the track but going back and forth again, and then get a message on screen saying "unable to read disc."

QUOTE(ocdetective @ Jun 1 2009, 12:51 AM) Wouldn't think it would make a difference as he is on 3.4?

Why wouldn't it make a difference?

Resident Stevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Because it's harder to autoboot stuff on 3.4 and if he doesn't have fakesigned IOS's or a modchip it won't help anyway.

Define "harder". Harder as in impossible? Or harder as in a pain in the ass to do but not impossible?

It's my understanding that the system update can be taken off of an Animal Crossing or Mario Kart Wii disc.

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm as far as i know i dont know about animal crossing and if your on 3.4 mario kart wouldn't work (it won't update with a disc that has an older update then the one on your wii) and without using a disc yeah your kinda screwed unless you had preloader or bootmii able to boot

Resident Stevil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
False alarm. It's not bricked, everything is ok now. Time to pull homebrew browser out of there and ship it off to Nintendo.

There shouldn't be any evidence of it being in there if I uninstall it through bootmii right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la