Hacking Is there any way to disable the format hard drive screen yet?

Cruise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3TB drives work, just format the whole partition to FAT32 with 32K clusters just like for the Wii, as well as make the partition active and you're good to go. However the emulators don't like loading off from the 3TB drive so you might have to place the emulator dols into an SD card for it to load correctly.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3TB drives work, just format the whole partition to FAT32 with 32K clusters just like for the Wii, as well as make the partition active and you're good to go. However the emulators don't like loading off from the 3TB drive so you might have to place the emulator dols into an SD card for it to load correctly.

That doesn't make sense; using FAT32 partitions had no issue with emulators on the original Wii.

lucifer6e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys, just saw this thread after I replyed in another one.
So I'll paste it here and hope someone could try this:

I'm thinking of purchase a 64GB SD card, and plug it into the front SD slot of the Wii U.
I wonder if the WiiFlow can read it and play Wii ISOs from that SD card.
If so then I could get rid of the Format HDD notice appeared every time when I open the WiiU.
Can anyone tell me is this possible? So maybe needs to install the SDXC support for vWii?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wonder.... if something like a "dummy" sd card with usb slot extension exists or could be made.... like, you know, you insert the sdxc card, which isnt really a sd card but just an adapter and then you plug in your hdd in there via usb.... and since sdxc supports up to 2tb, you could plug in any hdd up to 2tb that has its own extern power cable....
does something like that exist? XD

DeadMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I thought Wii could only read SDHC cards so max would be 32 GB. Is SDXC some new feature for Wiiu/vWii?
on forums i found info then wii work with sdxc card too

P.S. and you need format you sdxc card to FAT32 file system, wii and WiiU don't work with exFAT filesystem (it's default file system for SDXC card)

Cruise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't make sense; using FAT32 partitions had no issue with emulators on the original Wii.

It's true, the original Wii had no issues loading the emulators off of FAT32 partitions. HOWEVER, that is only true if you are loading from a hard drive that is 2TB or smaller. If you try to load the emulators larger than 2TB (2.5TB or 3TB), you will get a stack dump. They do not work. Please share your method if you've gotten them to work with hard drives larger than 2TB, I would really love to know!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's true, the original Wii had no issues loading the emulators off of FAT32 partitions. HOWEVER, that is only true if you are loading from a hard drive that is 2TB or smaller. If you try to load the emulators larger than 2TB (2.5TB or 3TB), you will get a stack dump. They do not work. Please share your method if you've gotten them to work with hard drives larger than 2TB, I would really love to know!

Nintendo themselves say 3 TB isn't supported yet

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
That's too bad... I wonder what options has someone that wants to upgrade his HDD...Perhaps a future update will address this.:blink:
I think yesterday's Nintendo Direct said that the update later this month would allow you to copy information from one HDD to another so having at least 2 HDD connected at once would have to be supported.

Also, it's not a complete fix but it said the update would allow you to just hold the B button on the gamepad and go straight into vWii. I would assume that would bypass the HDD format check at least when you wanted to go into vWii to USE the drive. (although I'm sure when you exit it back into normal Wii U mode you'd get the same nag screen again anyhow)

One half solution would be to have one of those HDD's that has it's own power switch. It can't ask you to format a drive that's turned off and it's a LITTLE better than having to unplug it every time.

...A SDXC card formatted to FAT32 would be the most convenient (and expensive). WiiFlow can use it but GX can't, FYI

lucifer6e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I think the best solution for me is to use a large SDXC card to load the game instead of using HDDs.
Because there's not too much game I want to play on vWii, and the VC is coming to WiiU also.
I'll just leave my HDD for WiiU.

Cruise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo themselves say 3 TB isn't supported yet

I've gotten USB Loader GX, Wiiflow, WiiMC, and Retroarch to load from 3TB FAT32 from the real Wii as well as the vWii. Wii games work perfectly fine.

Like I said, the only things don't load are the emulators such as FCEUGX, SNES9XGX, VBAGX, Wii64/Not64, GenplusGX, HuGo, and WiiSX from 3TB. They work perfectly fine 2TB and smaller.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotten USB Loader GX, Wiiflow, WiiMC, and Retroarch to load from 3TB FAT32 from the real Wii as well as the vWii. Wii games work perfectly fine.

Like I said, the only things don't load are the emulators such as FCEUGX, SNES9XGX, VBAGX, Wii64/Not64, GenplusGX, HuGo, and WiiSX from 3TB. They work perfectly fine 2TB and smaller.

Try it on a regular Wii.

Cruise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news for the next major update for the Wii U, seems that holding B while powering on the Wii U will boot directly into the vWii, which may ultimately bypass the format screen. Lets hope that's the case when it releases.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news for the next major update for the Wii U, seems that holding B while powering on the Wii U will boot directly into the vWii, which may ultimately bypass the format screen. Lets hope that's the case when it releases.

Huh, guess there is a way after all. I'll be darned. Still need a USB Y-cable since my HDD is self powered

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Yeah but that still doesn't solve the problem with kids accidentally formatting the HDD. They probably forget to hold B. And what about all the times when you want to play in WiiU mode?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any info if that also works when holding B on a Wiimote when powering on the Wii U with said Wiimote?

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Any info if that also works when holding B on a Wiimote when powering on the Wii U with said Wiimote?
No info released on that yet. But this time next week you can try it out. Though it seems like it would be likely since if you want to play a Wii game, you might turn on the Wii U with the linked Wiimote, and hopefully they thought of that. But I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't.
Either way, I'm looking forward to the update (speed it up).

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
There's a way, but it works only for Wii backup loaders on FAT32/NTFS. (not a WBFS partition)
No other homebrew, no NANDEmulation (if located on USB).
It's hiding the partitions by altering the partition's table, so the HDD will NOT work on your computer anymore.
So, it's a little dangerous, you could loose your data if not done correctly.

We didn't test writing files and installing games yet. but playing is working.

With this method, you can keep two HDD connected at the same time, one for vWii and one for WiiU.
@Cyan, any more info on this process?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn that's cheap.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slower speeds for gen4
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
    Veho @ Veho: Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages...