ROM Hack Is there a way to change a game's music to one in streaming format?

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like to make a small rom hack of the Ace Attorney DS trilogy that switches the music for the versions included in the Gyakuten Saiban Sound Box. I know the DS is capable of running such thing because you can do it trough moonshell. Is there any way run them trough the game?

Last edited by Steve_Doido,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sort of.
The DS sound format that Nintendo pushed, and the vast vast majority of devs used in the vast vast majority of DS games, was what we know as the SDAT format and it does indeed have a streaming option that usually gets called STRM. However if the game does not use it, and I have looked at the games some time back and even used them in a guide and most of the music is actually using the SSEQ sequenced format in the ones I looked at, then the STRM functionality seems to get stripped out by the compiler.
The audio decoding hardware is still there though so you can add your own streaming stuff in if you are willing to hack it in ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/telling-the-game-to-play-a-strm-instead-of-sseq.340692/ covers some interesting things if you are heading down that path) and there are other workarounds if you are really a cowboy; we have seen people abuse sample banks to generate what is effectively a whole song using them by splitting the thing up, don't do it for a proper production hack though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1