Hacking Is there a DS utility to help isolate dead pixels?

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if there's a homebrew utility written for the DS that will make both screens completely a solid color so that it would be pretty easy to pick out any dead/stuck pixels, if they were present? I'm giving a couple DS'es as gifts and I'd like to check them for dead pixels before mailing them out to their recipients. But unfortunately I don't feel like I have a very sharp eye for picking dead pixels out of a game screen, so if there was a way to check more closely that would be super-cool.

Thanks, as always!

Alucardd

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hes not looking for a dead pixel fixer, hes looking for something that would make it easier to see a dead pixel.

If your looking for stuck pixels, you should be able to see them relativley well on a black screen. Dead pixels should be easily viewable on a completley white screen.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
actually, it sounds like you just need to create a couple jpgs and view them via your supercard/m3 or what have you. white, black, red, green, blue, yellow, violet and teal will give you all of the colour combinations to find any dead or stuck pixels.

you can find full screen images of all the above colours here

Grindie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
perfectrun.net
XP
Country
Hey, has anyone actually 'fixed' any pixels with PixelFixer? I have 2 dead pixels on my DSLite, I left PixelFixer on for about 8 hours and it didn't fix anything. Should I leave it on for longer?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can only fix STUCK pixels, I have one always red pixel, maybe i can fix that.

but you cannot fix DEAD pixels, only by rubbing on the screen maybe.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. I've got a few questions, though.

1) How do I view those full-sized solid color images on my DS? I've got an M3 SD and a G6 Flash at my disposal.

2) Why in the world are those images JPEGs? JPEG is a lossy format and susceptible to artifacts. Can I run GIFs the same way?

Thanks again for the help!

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

1) How do I view those full-sized solid color images on my DS? I've got an M3 SD and a G6 Flash at my disposal.

2) Why in the world are those images JPEGs? JPEG is a lossy format and susceptible to artifacts. Can I run GIFs the same way?

aren't gifs just as bad? i would assume u'd ask for something like png

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can only fix STUCK pixels, I have one always red pixel, maybe i can fix that.

but you cannot fix DEAD pixels, only by rubbing on the screen maybe.

What's the difference between a dead pixel and a stuck pixel?

dead pixles stay one color (the pixle is non functioning and does not display any color)
Stuck pixles stay one color

To follow up on that... dead pixel = stays black. Stuck pixel = stays either red, blue, or green

kalibar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1) How do I view those full-sized solid color images on my DS? I've got an M3 SD and a G6 Flash at my disposal.

aren't gifs just as bad? i would assume u'd ask for something like png
Well, whatever -- you know what I'm asking for. Besides, I thought GIFs were lossless up to 256 colors.

Back to my question though; how do I make these show up on the DS?

wAizz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey, has anyone actually 'fixed' any pixels with PixelFixer? I have 2 dead pixels on my DSLite, I left PixelFixer on for about 8 hours and it didn't fix anything. Should I leave it on for longer?

Didn't work on my green stuck pixel.

QUOTE(kalibar @ Jul 5 2006, 06:52 AM)Back to my question though; how do I make these show up on the DS?
Just use pixelfixer v2 if you're looking for dead/stuck pixels.

If you want to view full-sized solid color images then maybe moonshell?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol