Hacking Is there a CFW that can use the protocol for accessing flash cart SD?

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering use of .CIA files, but I prefer to be able to swap out games which is why I generally prefer cart backups. Since I found out that I can swap the microSD card out, I considered making writing my own file manager. Unfortunately the N3DS microSD card slot is under the back cover. I purchased a replacement back cover just in case, but I'd rather not have to mess with that every time I want to play a game that's not on the cart.

However, I remembered reading this:

made a protocol to access the raw SD sectors in the SD card inserted into the Gateway red card and Supercard DSTWO + which would allow for really anything you can think of involving file transfers if you program it into a homebrew.

and found the protocol here:

https://github.com/shinyquagsire23/gwcard

Which would allow a CFW to directly access the microSD card slot of either a Gateway or DSTWO+ flash cart, and I have both. Of course, it isn't a Homebrew application. It has to be implemented by the CFW. I'm wondering if anyone has tried implementing this into a CFW, or if there would be any way I could otherwise use it.

I know that it won't let me play .3DS games, but what I'm thinking is this: Install games to the microSD card on the N3DS, and swap them into the microSD cart slot in the flash cart. Then I could write an offline file manager that will allow me to quickly swap the games out, or otherwise have multiple microSD cards on hands that I can swap without opening the back up.

If there is no way to do this, then maybe I could figure it out to make use of the N3DS "microSD Management" which allows a wireless connection to a PC to make the file transfers, though that would no doubt be much slower. It's just a Network drive folder that looks the same as plugging in the microSD card, so probably won't be any different either way on my end.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It would be a lot simpler to just get an SD that can hold all your games, or if you can't afford a large one (≥ 32 GB), just have them installed on multiple SD cards. You can use the flashcart to hold a second SD card with your console at all times if you wan to go down this route.

Swapping out games is important with 3DS flashcarts because of time taken to scroll through your games. But that issue isn't present with installed games - it takes no more effort to tap on a game if there is one or 10 games on the home screen. Even if you have 50 games, you can have small icons and get to the game at the end of the list in 1 or 2 page turns.

Elliander

OP
Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
or if you can't afford a large one (≥ 32 GB), just have them installed on multiple SD cards.

That's the whole point of this thread. I just feel that having easy access to a microSD card slot without opening up the back cover is much more convenient, and if the protocol has already been written, why not?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
That's the whole point of this thread. I just feel that having easy access to a microSD card slot without opening up the back cover is much more convenient, and if the protocol has already been written, why not?
I don't believe anything like that exists, and even ignoring the time it'll take you to code it, it would take less time to go to the shops and buy a bigger SD card, or swap small capacity SD cards in your console, but up to you.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I really gotta ask, why even bother going through so much trouble when you can just change the SD card to a bigger one or have many small ones without using flashcarts? It's just one tiny screw, unless you are REALLY dumb to even remove a screw+small panel to access the SD card, I see this having no other point. If you want to avoid it THAT badly though, just have a fairly large SD card (even a 32GB SD card which should be around 15€ can fit ~20 decent-sized games and then some in CIA format) and use FTP to move additional games/files from and to it. That way you don't have to bother with SD cards, writing code or anything that troublesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up