Is the Wii U scene dead?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by huma_dawii, May 28, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

35.2%
  2. No

20.4%
  3. There are some hackers still working on it

44.4%
  1. huma_dawii
    OP

huma_dawii GBAtemp Addict

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Do they work any faster? Because loadiine is slow as hell

2. Davor

Davor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    Well, they don't. Same speed as SD card. But I grew up with C64 equipped with cassette player only. So, I'm kinda used to slow loading :)

3. alonzondavis

alonzondavis GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2016
    United States
    Could you release the source as is then? Im sure someone would look at it and maybe finish it for ya.

4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Check out the Wii U RetroArch thread, several game are reportedly working at a fairly decent speed :P Still WIP, but making steady progress.

Dynarec is absolutely required for PSX and N64, and is in development as we speak. It's very difficult to code and is slowly making its way, give it time.

Last edited by the_randomizer, May 29, 2018
    ploggy and VinsCool like this.
  5. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    The Wii U was interesting. It was the homebrew machine nobody wanted to homebrew. The Wii U was the console made for homebrew, actually! We could literally do whatever we wanted with that console (well, whatever the CPU and GPU could handle). I would say the Wii U had a lot more homebrew potential, but that's not to take away from the great feats created for the system nobody had. Which is my point. Nobody had bought the system,which means no one had a console to play, which means nobody had a console to experiment with, which means no one had a console to homebrew, which means the few devs which owned a Wii U would essentially create great homebrew for a great console which nobody had. Back to my earlier point though, even after all the obstacles stated above, hb devs created an online app store (HBAS), several emulators (RetroArch, etc.), a Wii U "piracy player" (Loadiine), a game installer (WUP Installer), a network-based software modder (TCPGecko, Caffiine), an alternate NAND to play around with (redNAND), and even more, all with pretty graphics to go along with it. I'd say the Wii U scene was pretty successful, but I think we all regret that the Wii U didn't reach its maximum potential.

6. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Been dead for a long time, and when it wasn't all we ever got was stuff to improve retail games/injections - there was never any homebrew that was genuinely good not for the benefit of official games on the system but this is mostly due to late exploits and Wii mode being OP really.

alonzondavis likes this.
  7. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    woah, when did I step into a time machine? Feels like 2016 again! Even asking for USB support under Loadiine, this is great guys :lol:

If it were still 2016, this is where I'd write some big post, usually while angry or upset, explaining why you just aren't paying attention and threads like these are part of the problem and yada yada yada. Instead, I'm just gonna try to collate every time I've done this. Hopefully that goes some distance to showing you just how long this rhetoric ("scene is dead" "devs aren't interested" "no progress") has been around, how frequently it comes up, and how little difference it makes.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I think that's all of them? Every time I've had to talk about "wii u scene is dead" between joining the site in early 2016 and December 21, 2017 (when I took a hiatus that totally changed my outlook on the Temp - I sincerley doubt there's anything juicy after that). Hopefully you can see just how often this sort of idea comes up, and how little it helps.

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, May 29, 2018 - Reason: fix some quote tags
    pivix, vgmoose, Lyrin and 1 other person like this.
  8. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    We literally just got a PSP emulator the other day. The scene is not dead.

ploggy likes this.
  9. Sinon

Sinon "AutumnWolf!"

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    Hmm? That's news to me

10. Opoth

Opoth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2006
    See, you learn something new every day

11. huma_dawii
    OP

huma_dawii GBAtemp Addict

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth

Well, to the end user, there has been near to NO PROGRESS at all, xD otherwise I wouldn't be asking for those things don't you think?

12. ArchmagePlays

ArchmagePlays Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I don't feel like it's dead. Sure, there haven't been many new CRAZY RELEASES recently, but with Nintendo literally giving away developer's licences I don't see any reason why it has to die now.

13. Sinon

Sinon "AutumnWolf!"

Sep 15, 2015
    Costa Rica
    I´d say PPSSPP qualifies as a "Crazy Release"

DarthDub likes this.
  14. ArchmagePlays

ArchmagePlays Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2018
    United Kingdom
    My bad, I've been out of the scene for a little while due to exams

15. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    The whole point of my post was to show that people have been feeling like there's "NO PROGRESS" since early 2016, which, may I remind you, was before you could run HBL on 5.5.1. Historically speaking, every single time people have decided the scene is dead it turned out to be completely and patently false. This sort of idea ("NO PROGRESS" and the implicit "no devs care") has been around since at least 2016, likely much earlier than that - yet here we are, more than two years later with plenty of progress to point to; such as HBL on the latest firmware, CFWs, installing games to USB, boot1 dumps, etc. etc. You've got to look at the bigger picture - just because there hasn't been much for the past two weeks doesn't mean that's the end of it.

End users have been consistently saying there's no progress for at least two years despite several obvious and scene-transforming developments over that timeframe. So yes, I'm going to take your version of this idea with a grain of salt.

Davor, DarthDub, Lyrin and 1 other person like this.
  16. R0B0T0

R0B0T0 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Not sure numbers mean that much, the Wii U outsold the Dreamcast by a fair margin and yet the DC had and still has a decent homebrew community 20 years later. In fact the pace of new DC game releases has been increasing as of late.

Last edited by R0B0T0, May 30, 2018
  17. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    No progress to the common user = THERE'S NOTHING THAT APEALS TO ME AND ONLY ME

18. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    WiiU scene is far from dead imo. The only thing we're missing is a Media Player and a File Manager.
    I think this would be the first scene (ever?) That hasn't had some sort of Homebrew Media Player. :(
    As for a File Manager we could use just WiiXplorer (brilliant app, has a built in mp3 player too XD) if we had the WiiU Gamepad patch added.. fix94 fancy one more Wii app upgrade? :P

But yea.. As others have said there is still loads going on. :)
    Long live the WiiU Scene and all that follow her. ;)

huma_dawii likes this.