Is the Wii U Scene done?

• Total voters

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still play with my Wii U a lot, in fact I have the Switch with NO GAMES cause I'm committed to finish all my Wii U games!

But I haven't seen anything new on the Wii U hacking scene, Nintendont is awesome, Injecting GC to Wii packages is a great thing but everything else is pretty much still the way it started, the exploits never got pass from Web browser and then DS game to have Haxchi, why is this? Lack of Interest? VERY HARD to hack?

All of what we do with homebrew in Wii U requires YES OR YES to run Haxchi at some point and if you turn off the console that is gone, and if you enter Wii menu that is gone too. So I feel like the Wii U scene was not very well established or finished at all... RetroArch never got N64 or PSX ports... (Even tho I gave away a Wii U to the RetroArch "team" to develop a more stable port to the Wii U)

Why don't we have a permanent Exploit on the Wii U? One that we can just turn on the console and have it ready to go, wouldn't this be ideal for all of the homebrew we already have? Those injects are awesome but having to run Haxchi every time its kind of a turn off... Yes I know about coldboot Haxchi but that isn't a very viable option to go knowing the VERY HIGH risks of messing that up...

Alse hackers seems to have left without real File Explorer, a Media Center... so many things are missing and nobody is coding for Wii U anymore...

And my question in the end is, is the Wii U Hacking Scene dead? Should I just move on and hope for the best on Switch? Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

HfFTR7G.png

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the scene was a shit show to start. too much drama and crap behind the scenes. no one wanted to make the homebrew libraries because they felt "no one was interested".

now the switch scene has come along and since it was simple enough to make a library, the powers that be determined people are now interested.

dev-luminati confirmed.

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ppsspp is the most current thing I've scene . Along with maschells on going plugin system . We have made progress with the appstore to better support things like this . Also Flumps work enhancing cbhc . Etc
Ppsspp? There's a WiiU port coming? :huh:

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ppsspp is the most current thing I've scene . Along with maschells on going plugin system . We have made progress with the appstore to better support things like this . Also Flumps work enhancing cbhc . Etc

What are the enhancements for CBHC? I was not aware of that, and that Ppsspp?

EDIT:

And I also forgot to mention the FileSystem, we got suck on the Wii U file system the only way to install games is using the default Wii U FS... why nobody did anything to make Loadiine Work over USB? or something similar... installing games is painful lol

Last edited by huma_dawii,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The boot1 exploit released in January of 2018 could possibly be used to create a coldboot CFW-launcher that doesn't require a DS Virtual Console game installed. The Wii U hacking scene isn't dead; it's just slow.

The Wii U is what's dead.

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if we shake things up a little? Maybe a team can get together, Develop:

-N64 emulator,
-PSX emulator (port it or something),
-Permanent CFW (ala 3DS),
-Wii U Media Center

And I am responsible for rewarding this team, maybe a $1,000 for that job? (I'm not a money maker machine, but I think these developers need some kind of incentive lol).

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CBHC is effectively a coldboot CFW.

I already mentioned why that is very dangerous, maybe we can get something more like 3DS, very stable and n00bs proof..,. something we know is very hard to mess up xD

Plus that option is VERY slow, why is it everything so slow on Wii U?

Last edited by huma_dawii,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already mention why that is very dangerous, maybe we can get something more like 3DS, very stable and n00bs proof..,. something we know is very hard to mess up xD
Dangers of removing the DS game aside, CBHC is a coldboot way of launching CFW that, in appearance, is similar to how CFW is launched on the 3DS. As long as you don't do anything stupid, it's not very dangerous.

If you look at my post above, you will see what I said about it being possible to create a CBHC-like alternative to coldbooting CFW without a DS game. It would install on the vWii, and stupid behavior wouldn't cause the system to brick.

danielheywood

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
-PSX emulator (port it or something),
-Wii U Media Center

Can we get a PlayStation emulator that actually works and that can play Crash Team Racing? (We would also need an injector for PlayStation)

Just having the Wii U have some kind of DHCP that allows it to access your networks files would be great, that way we can watch our movies/tv shows on the gamepad :D

Reactions: huma_dawii

huma_dawii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dangers of removing the DS game aside, CBHC is a coldboot way of launching CFW that, in appearance, is similar to how CFW is launched on the 3DS. As long as you don't do anything stupid, it's not very dangerous.

If you look at my post above, you will see what I said about it being possible to create a CBHC-like alternative to coldbooting CFW without a DS game. It would install on the vWii, and stupid behavior wouldn't cause the system to brick.

I think @FIX94 tried something with vWii with no luck? I don't know but I know with boot1 key that is a possibility.

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why nobody did anything to make Loadiine Work over USB?
The pieces to this are out for a while now... Somebody just have to pick it up.
libfswrapper just needs support for directories, and it needs to be merged into loadiine. Even ntfs would be possible easily. I have a unfinished refactoring of loadiine on my HDD, once I've finally done it, it quite easy to achive this, but I probably won't do it.

On the background I've done quite a bit, putting almost any common .elf homebrew libs into real static libraries, the plugin system is on it's way, I figured out how to map memory easily, creating screenshots is possible now, I ported and refactored DiiBugger, prepared the tcp_gecko_engine (to be compatible with the plugin system), ported libntfs, ffmpeg and x264, added travis scripts to most of my repos, some even with deployment, played around with gameplay recording and so on.

And this was just was I did in the past few months. Other people also did some great stuff. (Linux, PPSSPP, Wii VC Injection, serveral awesome game mods etc.). It just takes it time and stuff is mostly going on the background. There is also a great list with active projects.

When the Wii U plugin system is ready and stable for the end user, the scence could get a new boost with the right plugins. I personally don't think the scene is dead, it just needs a few more people to get faster.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I still play with my Wii U a lot, in fact I have the Switch with NO GAMES cause I'm committed to finish all my Wii U games!

But I haven't seen anything new on the Wii U hacking scene, Nintendont is awesome, Injecting GC to Wii packages is a great thing but everything else is pretty much still the way it started, the exploits never got pass from Web browser and then DS game to have Haxchi, why is this? Lack of Interest? VERY HARD to hack?

All of what we do with homebrew in Wii U requires YES OR YES to run Haxchi at some point and if you turn off the console that is gone, and if you enter Wii menu that is gone too. So I feel like the Wii U scene was not very well established or finished at all... RetroArch never got N64 or PSX ports... (Even tho I gave away a Wii U to the RetroArch "team" to develop a more stable port to the Wii U)

Why don't we have a permanent Exploit on the Wii U? One that we can just turn on the console and have it ready to go, wouldn't this be ideal for all of the homebrew we already have? Those injects are awesome but having to run Haxchi every time its kind of a turn off... Yes I know about coldboot Haxchi but that isn't a very viable option to go knowing the VERY HIGH risks of messing that up...

Alse hackers seems to have left without real File Explorer, a Media Center... so many things are missing and nobody is coding for Wii U anymore...

And my question in the end is, is the Wii U Hacking Scene dead? Should I just move on and hope for the best on Switch? Let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 125847
Coldboot used to be a risk but it ain't anymore.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
no. its not dead, people expect devs to be doing what they want 24/7. looks at the PS4 and Switch scene most 'alive' and a snail is faster then the development. it takes time and patience for this stuff.

look at the DSi scene... took years and Europeans still need to wait a while.

Davor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What are the enhancements for CBHC? I was not aware of that, and that Ppsspp?

EDIT:

And I also forgot to mention the FileSystem, we got suck on the Wii U file system the only way to install games is using the default Wii U FS... why nobody did anything to make Loadiine Work over USB? or something similar... installing games is painful lol

Hello!

Loadiine actually works over USB. You just have to use that custom Mocha with FAT32 support. I have Haxchi that boots Mocha, and after that Loadiine use games from external HDD (Retroarch is using the same HDD, as well as vWii)

Best regards,
Davor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one