Tutorial to Code

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Se7ensinsMods, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Se7ensinsMods
    OP

Se7ensinsMods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    American Muscle
    Can someone put tutorial how to code or make projects. Or create codes from IDAPro. I have nus OSv10 for 5.5.0-5.5.1. Thanks.

2. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    Programming is a profession, not a quickly picked up past-time. If you want to learn, there's plenty of resources all over the internet that can help you learn, as well as your local college I'm sure.
    If we were reading you wrong, and instead you're a seasoned programmer looking for the tools to get started with programming specifically on the Wii U platform, well, it's kind of a mash of C and assembly right now. Your best bet would be to read the source code for Loadiine GX2 and start building out from there. I do believe there's a complete IDA symbol package made up around here somewhere though, but I don't remember where it is at the moment. I personally have some basic code examples for save editors in C# in one of my threads, but that would be common, amateur level code to someone able to program on the Wii U properly right now. Else, I don't know what to tell you other than read the threads here with projects in development and read their source code. That's always the best way to learn how programming works for a certain platform when it's still in early development.

Piluvr and cmdj13 like this.
  3. Se7ensinsMods
    OP

Se7ensinsMods Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    American Muscle
    I did look at source of other projects but looks hard but I wii learn. I have IDAPro from here and disassemble rpl, rpx, and kernel but don't know how to put in C code

4. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    Generally, you shouldn't really be looking at recompiling C code into OSv10 (I assume that's what you mean by that post.) I don't have much experience with kernel-level stuff (<5.5) but since you've downloaded 5.5 I assume you're talking about userspace programming here. If that's true, you really won't have much of a use for IDA and the OS files you downloaded until you get to the more advanced, unexplored stuff.

For now, you should be looking at just building and running standalone programs (OS files not needed). Libwiiu has some epic examples that just work without a problem.
    First, build and run the "template" project. Read the code a few times, get a feel for what's happening (focus on program.c and program.h, the loader.c/h files aren't essential to understand when you're starting out. You will need to make sense of them at one point, however.)
    You may not get all of it (the IM_ functions are a mystery to all of us) but you should get a feel for the basics (OSDynLoad, reading the gamepad (VPAD), rendering etc.) My first program was the "template" project from that link modified to show where the left gamepad stick was. Start simple, you'll pick up on everything fairly quickly.

Do keep in mind that this is a very new platform; there is very little documentation and there isn't any tutorials AFAIK. However, with a bit of persistence, it's pretty darn satisfying to develop on (when it works! ;3)

Also, make sure to skim through some of wiiubrew (Start at the "User Mode API" page and scroll up) to get an idea of the system on a whole. There's also a whole bunch of examples and the start of a framework on libwiiu. Just make sure you're not dealing with the kernel stuff.

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, Mar 24, 2016
    Gadorach and cmdj13 like this.
  5. thekarter104

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Is there also a tutorial for porting homebrew games?
    The Legend of Zelda: Return of the Hylian is for the PSP.

How can this be ported over to the 3DS and Wii U?

Thanks.

6. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    First : IDAPro will deserve to nothing for Wii U Homebrew Progamming

Second : Learn C code (Reading loadiine v4 source and libwiiu examples may help) (Not Loadiine GX2 Source code, it's C++ and a little bit confusing)

Third : Download Python 2.7 or 3.4 / DevKitPPC / cygwin (Not recommended, i'm not using it and using the Windows CMD and typing make works)

Fourth : Start making your own !

You need help, ask to someone !

Self-host it with XAMPP (very easy web hosting service)

To run homebrew on 5.5.0/1 you need the libstagefright exloit, @josamilu made a great post on how to use it !

Link :

- https://github.com/wiiudev/libwiiu
    - https://github.com/dimok789/loadiine (Go in /src folder)

Libstagefright links :

- https://github.com/yellows8/wiiu_browserhax_fright
    - https://github.com/yellows8/wiiuhaxx_common

Josamilu's tutorial :

- https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-compile-payloads-for-5-5-0-5-5-1-and-run-them.410570/

Don't forget to read the readme.md of libwiiu to understand how it works

I hope it will help you :P

josamilu likes this.
  7. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Very much like the op. I have always been curious how everything works

8. halo5307

halo5307 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    No, there is no tutorial.
    Did you read the replies?

9. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Yeap

10. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Yeah....how about no

Net-KILLER likes this.
  11. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    Does it have save files? There is no tutorial but after learning C (or if you already know it) and looking at wiiubrew.org you could try to port it yourself by replacing functions with custom functions for wii u; the only problem is that a lot of homebrews require access to some hardware resources that we still don't have access to, like nand for save files (if the game doesn't save file to sd; in that case, with kernel access on 5.3.2 you could get access to it)

12. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    With kernel you have SD access ?
    Or am I missing something ?

Last edited by Net-KILLER, Mar 25, 2016
  13. rw-r-r_0644

rw-r-r_0644 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Italy
    Yes, the kernel has sd access; like loadiine, through 'hyjacking' code into apps that have sd access like mii maker