OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hello everyone
biggrin.gif

My M3 DS Real recently broke and I am in need of a new flashcart. I've heard good things about the Acekard 2i and I was wondering if I should buy it. Can someone give me a list of the pros/cons with this cart because I honestly don't know if I should buy this or not.

I currently use a NDS Lite.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
cardchart.gif

Note that the prices given are from chinese shops.
If you order from a shop in another country it's more expensive.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i NDSLL", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution For DS".

The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play games on a DS/Lite.

[*]R4i Gold
The cheap card for somebody that wants to play games on a DSi with more storage.

[*]Acekard 2i
Mid-range card for people that want to play games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

[*]EZ-Flash Vi
Higher-end card with even more features.

[*]Supercard DSTwo
Pretty much the ultimate card right now.
  • DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Auto Ap Bypass
    Some carts have special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first. The Acekard only has partial support for this right now.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

Lightake

Trophies
Website
www.lightake.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
Acekard2i

The Acekard2i is an excellent cart with the use of the third party AKAIO firmware.

- Great compatibility and supports patched games well
- Inexpensive
- Supports large MicroSD cards
- Great cart for the cost

rody2k6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me my Acekard 2i does everything that I want it to do, which is play the ROMs that I want, lol nothing more nothing less.

As long as I can play my games for free I'm fine.

pmk010

Trophies
XP
Country
I got an Acekard2i a while back and since then I have had problem after problem. I have a EUR DSi and I have heard that the Acekard2i has some problems with DSi from EUR.

bjorno

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
acekard2i2000 said:
I got an Acekard2i a while back and since then I have had problem after problem. I have a EUR DSi and I have heard that the Acekard2i has some problems with DSi from EUR.

Got an EUR DSI. Everything is working perfectly with acekard 2i
smile.gif

pmk010

Trophies
XP
Country
bjorno said:
acekard2i2000 said:

smile.gif

Maybe i have a clone or something

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
acekard2i2000 said:
bjorno said:
acekard2i2000 said:

smile.gif

Maybe i have a clone or something

Maybe you should read some stuff...

Updated n00b guide to setting up your Acekard, How to setup/ Updating to FW 1.4.1/ Unbricking/ Contact Issues

http://gbatemp.net/t218103-updated-n00b-gu...up-your-acekard

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gokujr1000 said:
Hello everyone
biggrin.gif

My M3 DS Real recently broke and I am in need of a new flashcart. I've heard good things about the Acekard 2i and I was wondering if I should buy it. Can someone give me a list of the pros/cons with this cart because I honestly don't know if I should buy this or not.

lots of info about what the acekard can do when running akaio but no info on how bad the build quality of the 2i can be. if you own a ds lite you should stick with the ak2.1. the 2i has been cloned and you risk purchasing a clone. it doesn't really matter how well you do your research when sites like realhotstuff sell the clone and lie to their customers about it. the 2i is also known to have contact issues and at times micro sd slot contact issues as well. every 2i i have owned for testing/reviews has developed a contact issue. my last one lasted right around 6 months until one day i pulled it out of my dsi to do the ismart premium review. when i was done with that review i put the 2i back in and it no longer makes contact and now requires paper behind the pcb. putting paper behind the pcb is not the largest of issues you will face in life but it can be an annoyance depending on your personality. of all the 2.1 cards i have owned i have never had a contact issue or a problem, and i have 5 of them in front of me right now.

have you considered the wood firmware? you could pick up the r4 1:1 exact hardware copy (which i am personally convinced is just old stock) for around $4-6. yellow wood goblin and normmatt trade code all of the time. the firmwares lack some similar options but have many other aspects in common. the wood firmware has an extremely high rom and homebrew compatibility and enough features to satisfy most users.

good luck picking your card.
-another world

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
If someone is worried about the build quality, these person can simply buy an R4i Gold 2.0 made by Team Acekard or an R4i Ultra. Both run Akaio 1.8.1, both are cheaper than an Acekard, both are build much better than an Acekard.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
gokujr1000 said:
Hello everyone
biggrin.gif

lots of info about what the acekard can do when running akaio but no info on how bad the build quality of the 2i can be. if you own a ds lite you should stick with the ak2.1. the 2i has been cloned and you risk purchasing a clone. it doesn't really matter how well you do your research when sites like realhotstuff sell the clone and lie to their customers about it. the 2i is also known to have contact issues and at times micro sd slot contact issues as well. every 2i i have owned for testing/reviews has developed a contact issue. my last one lasted right around 6 months until one day i pulled it out of my dsi to do the ismart premium review. when i was done with that review i put the 2i back in and it no longer makes contact and now requires paper behind the pcb. putting paper behind the pcb is not the largest of issues you will face in life but it can be an annoyance depending on your personality. of all the 2.1 cards i have owned i have never had a contact issue or a problem, and i have 5 of them in front of me right now.

have you considered the wood firmware? you could pick up the r4 1:1 exact hardware copy (which i am personally convinced is just old stock) for around $4-6. yellow wood goblin and normmatt trade code all of the time. the firmwares lack some similar options but have many other aspects in common. the wood firmware has an extremely high rom and homebrew compatibility and enough features to satisfy most users.

good luck picking your card.
-another world
That caught my eye because I and several friends of mine have bought AceKard2is rom Realhotstuff and all are genuine. I really haven't heard of any clones being sold out of there.

Having to put paper behind the contacts is rather annoying, but once its there you never have to worry about it again (at least I haven't). My cart does feel a bit "cheap", but it has held up fine over the past..... 6 or so months I've owned it With AKAIO, it is one of the better cards on the market now. Especially for the price.

If you want to play it safe and don't plan on getting a DSi anytime soon, then a AceKard 2.1 is a good buy. Buy a 2i if you have a DSi or plan on getting one in the near future.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RHS sold fake Acekards in the first/second quarter of 2010. They made an account here and knowingly lied to GBAtemp, saying that they were real and just a bad batch and that Team Acekard would make a fix for them, which they obviously didn't, seeing as these were fake Acekards. They insisted on this even after several members of the GBAtemp community (I'm looking at you, AW) opened them up and proved they were fake.

So, if you like being lied to, blah blah blah, by all means, buy from RHS.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
I don't know anything about that RHS controversy, but maybe this "Team Acekard" simply splitt up.

These "fake" Acekards http://www.acekard.cc/ just look like the new batch of Acekards that is available since October.

You know, these R4 Golds come from somewhere. They are manufactured somewhere.

Nobody knows what's going on there. And nobody cares. The guy that has the "[email protected]" account is Team Acekard, no matter who he is.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously heard nothing about this. My friend and I got ours in late June/early July and they are legit (upgradable to 1.4.1 firmware update and everything). Not sure what happened. All I can say is maybe AceKard send them fake cards? Sounds like a long shot but you never know. If they sold nothing but fakes during that time, then how did I end up with a real one?

Kyroxian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
RHS sold fake Acekards in the first/second quarter of 2010. They made an account here and knowingly lied to GBAtemp, saying that they were real and just a bad batch and that Team Acekard would make a fix for them, which they obviously didn't, seeing as these were fake Acekards. They insisted on this even after several members of the GBAtemp community (I'm looking at you, AW) opened them up and proved they were fake.

Actually, there was a bad batch of Acekards and a decent amount of resellers got them, I did in fact get a couple from RHS and they did have problems running official Acekard software that came pre-installed aswell as AKAIO. The bad batch was of the Acekard 2, not the 2i btw. Acekard DID release a fix for the fault and it did get my bad cards working fine. The fix was right HERE: http://www.acekard.com/download.php You see the "Special Version 4.22 for AK2"? That was Acekards fix for the bad batch they put out. If you read the readme file it even says:
QUOTE"This special version of Acekard menu is only made for some certain AK2 but not for AK2i.
Some AK2 will have black screen when run some certain games and it's caused by A chip which was used in a different batch. This special version had made compatibled with it.
Please make sure you've backuped all your contents in your Micro SD card and then format it with the default parameter of FAT32 before you useing this special version.

Please be attention that, 1) If your AK2 has NO any issues please do not use this version. 2)There're only a few AK2 has this issue and we already adjust our production as soon as we found the issue. AK2i has no same issue. Please feel confident to buy any of our Acekard productions.
Thanks."

With all other software besides this "special" one most games wouldn't start and I faced some other issues. I believe the issue was caused because Acekard tried to shrink the amount of memory on the flash cart itself for the loader to save money, which backfired after releasing them to retailers. It does kind of suck not being able to run the latest games or the latest version of AKAIO but oh well, the people I gave them to don't seem to mind. This is not the fault of RealHotStuff or any other retailer who got these cards. In fact I just recently received an Acekard 2i from RHS, it's definitely legit and arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Running with the 1.4.1 Alex Rider firmware on my DSi with AKAIO 1.8.5a. So how about not being a jackass when you don't have your facts straight and don't slander a good retailer, hm?

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kyroxian said:
Evo.lve said:

Actually, there was a bad batch of Acekards and a decent amount of resellers got them, I did in fact get a couple from RHS and they did have problems running official Acekard software that came pre-installed aswell as AKAIO. The bad batch was of the Acekard 2, not the 2i btw. Acekard DID release a fix for the fault and it did get my bad cards working fine. The fix was right HERE: http://www.acekard.com/download.php You see the "Special Version 4.22 for AK2"? That was Acekards fix for the bad batch they put out. If you read the readme file it even says:
QUOTE"This special version of Acekard menu is only made for some certain AK2 but not for AK2i.
Some AK2 will have black screen when run some certain games and it's caused by A chip which was used in a different batch. This special version had made compatibled with it.
Please make sure you've backuped all your contents in your Micro SD card and then format it with the default parameter of FAT32 before you useing this special version.

Please be attention that, 1) If your AK2 has NO any issues please do not use this version. 2)There're only a few AK2 has this issue and we already adjust our production as soon as we found the issue. AK2i has no same issue. Please feel confident to buy any of our Acekard productions.
Thanks."

With all other software besides this "special" one most games wouldn't start and I faced some other issues. I believe the issue was caused because Acekard tried to shrink the amount of memory on the flash cart itself for the loader to save money, which backfired after releasing them to retailers. It does kind of suck not being able to run the latest games or the latest version of AKAIO but oh well, the people I gave them to don't seem to mind. This is not the fault of RealHotStuff or any other retailer who got these cards. In fact I just recently received an Acekard 2i from RHS, it's definitely legit and arrived in less than a week with free shipping. Running with the 1.4.1 Alex Rider firmware on my DSi with AKAIO 1.8.5a. So how about not being a jackass when you don't have your facts straight and don't slander a good retailer, hm?

...ah, blind devotion.

They WERE NOT A BAD BATCH. They were FAKE

RHS lied and insisted they were real even after people opened them up and proved they were fake. Several members of the GBAtemp community will back me up on this one.

Kyroxian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Evo.lve said:
Kyroxian said:
Evo.lve said:

Thanks."

...ah, blind devotion.

They WERE NOT A BAD BATCH. They were FAKE

RHS lied and insisted they were real even after people opened them up and proved they were fake. Several members of the GBAtemp community will back me up on this one.

Are you speaking of your blind devotion to the manufacturer? Because you're basing your OPINION on what others on GBAtemp assumed, how would opening these bad carts prove they were fake, did the internals have "I'm fake" written inside? The fact that there was a new, "bad" batch would mean that they could have cosmetic differences, especially inside. Acekard did temporarily put these out. If it wasn't theirs, then why did the fix... FROM ACEKARD THEMSELVES... well.. make them (including the ones I ordered) work? Hm.. I wonder, oh yes, because they were from Acekard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: