Homebrew Is the 3DS powerful enough to run an N64 emulator?

Jim_e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it split half and half for game/OS, or 96MB/32MB?
hmm...I'm not sure. I did a quick check, it looks like both the 3ds and n3ds only have 64mb at most available, But my understanding from when smea first hacked the n3ds he had access to way more ram.

In all honesty, the o3ds is probably completely impossible, but it might be possible on the new3ds, since on NH2.0, the power is almost that of the wii, and the wii's n64 emulator isn't terrible. On flip side of that I don't know squat about PowerPC architecture, it might be perfect for emulating MIPS. The Arm will definitely be register starved with MIPS IV's goddamn 32 registers, but there's more cores. And I'm not even considering sound. And the GPU is still up in the air since we don't have a pixel shader stage.

This seems like it could really go either way. Mupen64 has arm dynarec, but that's a hell of a port.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't meant to be one of those "can the 3DS do x" threads(Sorry if you take it that way :(). I'm asking if it would be possible within the 3DS' hardware. I know the DS couldn't do it, but could it be on a 3DS.

Nintendo needs to stop releasing mediocre hardware and charging an arm and a leg for it. New 3DS at 200$ is a complete rip off,Nintendo needs to lose their arrogance before they turn into sega. I want a nintendo console that is atleast 75% as strong as the ps4 and xb1 with mario and zelda games, is that so much to ask? Back to the handhelds though,Nintendo is being a complete cheapskate and it is ridiculous how we can't get basic things functioning on a 3DS when the psp had a partially working n64 emulator. Nintendo cheapens out on HW too much and leaves the customer hanging.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm...I'm not sure. I did a quick check, it looks like both the 3ds and n3ds only have 64mb at most available, But my understanding from when smea first hacked the n3ds he had access to way more ram.

In all honesty, the o3ds is probably completely impossible, but it might be possible on the new3ds, since on NH2.0, the power is almost that of the wii, and the wii's n64 emulator isn't terrible. On flip side of that I don't know squat about PowerPC architecture, it might be perfect for emulating MIPS. The Arm will definitely be register starved with MIPS IV's goddamn 32 registers, but there's more cores. And I'm not even considering sound. And the GPU is still up in the air since we don't have a pixel shader stage.

This seems like it could really go either way. Mupen64 has arm dynarec, but that's a hell of a port.
Where did you read the 64MB thing? From what I've researched, each die is 64MB, but both 3DS's can access up to 96MB and 192MB respectively without compromise.

Nintendo needs to stop releasing mediocre hardware and charging an arm and a leg for it. New 3DS at 200$ is a complete rip off,Nintendo needs to lose their arrogance before they turn into sega. I want a nintendo console that is atleast 75% as strong as the ps4 and xb1 with mario and zelda games, is that so much to ask? Back to the handhelds though,Nintendo is being a complete cheapskate and it is ridiculous how we can't get basic things functioning on a 3DS when the psp had a partially working n64 emulator. Nintendo cheapens out on HW too much and leaves the customer hanging.
It was always my view that the New 3DS should've been released back in 2011. There is no excuse for GC level hardware in this decade.

Wekker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Support this crap company with flashcart! :P you have to support!

ironmaster49

Trophies
XP
Country
But why will you want to emulate n64? There is ocarina of time 3d majoras mask 3d and super mario 64 ds if you like these games

D

Deleted User

I've seen PCs weaker than a 3DS run PJ64 1.6 at a good framerate

Also, don't forget that the 3DS has a 240p resolution which takes much less power than 480p

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This isn't meant to be one of those "can the 3DS do x" threads(Sorry if you take it that way :(). I'm asking if it would be possible within the 3DS' hardware. I know the DS couldn't do it, but could it be on a 3DS.
How is that not a "can the 3DS do x" thread? :P
I'm gonna say definitely not, just look at the PSP, Daedalusx64 is still nowhere near being good. And the PSP shares the same architecture as the N64, the 3DS does not, that makes things even harder.
PSX is about the extent of what might be possible at a reasonable speed.

ironmaster49

Trophies
XP
Country
I know it didnt have 3 games but these are the games
Thank god the N64 only had three games.
I know the n64 had many games but the reason why people want n64 emu is just for these games...
Well maybe some other ones that didnt get released on other devices but these games are the most wanted on n64 and got ported

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I know it didnt have 3 games but these are the games

I know the n64 had many games but the reason why people want n64 emu is just for these games...
Well maybe some other ones that didnt get released on other devices but these games are the most wanted on n64 and got ported
Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker's BFD, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Party, Yoshi's Story, I could go on...

Reactions: medoli900

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But why will you want to emulate n64? There is ocarina of time 3d majoras mask 3d and super mario 64 ds if you like these games
Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Rocket: Robot on Wheels
dare I point out the 3ds doesn't actually have enough buttons for an n64 emulator.....
Dare I point out neither do tablets (touch screen)

Reactions: Raylight

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
dare I point out the 3ds doesn't actually have enough buttons for an n64 emulator.....
The N3DS have enough button. I would love to see more N3DS homebrew, since the spotlight is pretty much on the O3DS right now, and I don't really understand why. N3DS have more RAM and more button, even a second joystick. Aside from the fact that O3DS can run every CFW, there is no real point to continue making only O3DS homebrew.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually...
L = Z
R = R
D-Pad = C-buttons
Circle Pad = Analog stick
Start = Start
A/B/X/Y = A/B with two buttons free for emulator hotkeys
And that covers everything for games that use the analog stick.
For games that use the D-Pad, L=L and circle pad = d-pad (or d-pad = d-pad and circle pad = c-buttons)
No single game that I know of uses all the buttons on the N64 controller so switching between those two mappings should cover every game and if it remembered the settings per-game you would only have to select the correct profile once per game.
On the n3DS, or o3DS with a CPP attached there are enough buttons that switching between analog/digital mappings isn't even needed.

Hell, even the Wiimote+Nunchuk combo has enough buttons to comfortably play N64 games and it makes me wonder why they did not include this as an option for Virtual Console. I actually played a little in Project64 with a Wiimote+Nunchuk and it worked very well, the only thing not mapped was the D-pad (because the game did not use it) and the 1 and 2 buttons weren't being used for anything.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1