Hacking Is Team EDGE stealing from Team Cyclops?

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to have this question answered. It is a pretty serious topic for me. I first brought this up here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=1515732

However, it was off-topic there, and so I have opened this new thread.

The evidence, other than the obvious where the skin is exactly the same and the firmware versions of major releases match, is provided here:
http://www.monroeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12255

Any thoughts? Would it be possible for a member of Team EDGE to address this?

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
There is a more logical explanation:

Team Cyclo wanted to produce a low-cost card to compete with the other cheaper-priced low-feature cards out there. If it was a pirated card with the same firmware then it would have the same features but it doesn't (missing RTS, in-game text reader, etc).

Companies do it all the time. It's actually more expensive to make a completely new card so they strip the features and sell it cheaper to compete in the low-end market.

Noitora

::
Trophies
Website
www.noitora.eu.pn
XP
Country
Greece
Glacius0 said:

Team Cyclo wanted to produce a low-cost card to compete with the other cheaper-priced low-feature cards out there. If it was a pirated card with the same firmware then it would have the same features but it doesn't (missing RTS, in-game text reader, etc).

Companies do it all the time. It's actually more expensive to make a completely new card so they strip the features and sell it cheaper to compete in the low-end market.
If that was the case they would have named it CycloDS lite or CycloDS Edge.

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if they were exactly the same, cyclods would have been able to take legal action. clearly, the patent team cyclods bought was not absolute enough to prevent edge from "working around" it. cyclods should have bought a better patent guard or maybe the courts choose not to grant patents to flash cards in general since they promote piracy.

this is like comparing a brand name drug to a generic drug. everything will work out in the end. EDGE wins on lower prices, and CycloDS will always have their brand loyalty (ie. person who started this post).

ZPE

Trophies
Website
zpte.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Is this the same Team Cyclops that prevented hundreds of orders on DealExtreme getting cancelled thanks to their greed and product image? I don't have much respect for a company like sees it's product immune to price reductions.

Anyway, as you've brought up the word stealing. Let's not forget that the CycloDS was primarily made for pirating with all it's cool in-game menus and save state features. I'd agree if you said the CycloDS is the best flashcart out atm but brand loyalty sucks (I'm guessing you're just a TC preacher).

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it is a relationship similar to the M3 Simply and R4?

And Glacius brings up a good point. If they were going to rip them off, why stop at certain features. They would have no problem implementing RTS or the Text Reader, plus it would make more people buy their card.

You have to give EDGE credit though. On their website, they link to r4cce and give credit to Yasu.

antiaverage

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tsimehC said:
Anyway, as you've brought up the word stealing. Let's not forget that the CycloDS was primarily made for pirating with all it's cool in-game menus and save state features. I'd agree if you said the CycloDS is the best flashcart out atm but brand loyalty sucks (I'm guessing you're just a TC preacher).

This isn't about Team Cyclops, this is about paying for pirated material. You don't pay for pirated ROMs, why would you pay or respect pirated hardware? I would want to be informed as to whether what I'm about to buy is a cheap knock-off. If it was of the same quality but with a different name, people aren't in any sort of danger (similar to the earlier example of off-brand drugs). However, this is a cheaper, crappier, knock-off that I would highly recommend against. You're actually laying money down for stolen goods.

Also, I'm pretty sure patent law doesn't come into affect here as the flash carts themselves are in questionable legal territory, but so is cocaine. I wouldn't want my friends using cheap, laced-to-kill, cocaine
wink.gif

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I do believe the reason why we buy this EDGE DS is because even though it is a clone, it is perceived as a high quality clone which is significantly cheaper. Pirated hardware is wrong yes...but still free market is free market when it comes to grey market goods.

Something like the n5 card which was a clone of something blew out people's fuses in their DS....that product is not selling like crazy because its a bad quality clone. Unfortunately these things happen...how many touch screen phones have come out since the iPhone? A crapton.

omegableach

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Noitora said:
Glacius0 said:

If that was the case they would have named it CycloDS lite or CycloDS Edge.
If they did that, the original Cyclos they worked their asses off to make wouldn't sell as much!

denyfate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a little offtopic.. but there were crapton of touch screen phones BEFORE iphone.. don't see why everyone assumes iphone was the first (LG and motorola both had touch screen phones a year before iphone came out)

back on topic.. these all depends on personal morals i suppose
according to antiaverage's philosophy, we shouldnt pay for cycloDS either since we're stealing from publishers that actually make the games.
we are playing stolen goods with a cyclods.. so all the money cyclods make should go towards the publisher

I'm not against downloading.. i think its awesome.. i just think the idea we're passing through here are really flawed...

heck.. on DX they have clones of clones!!

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes I realize there were many touch screen phones before that...including the Palm Treo which I own...but its hard to pass a point if you don't relate to something everyone knows.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dont see the problem here. EDGE is undeniably similar to the Cyclo--yes. They use the same sort of GUI's--thats not the end of the world M3 has a card whose GUI skins are interchangable with another card (R4, I think it is.)

Either way, its not really pirated hardware. Its like a generic brand vs. Name Brand.
They dont have the exact same features--Cyclo is a superior card, sure. But in the end both of these are Flash carts made to allow people to play pirated software.

In the end, a flashcart is just a peice of plastic to hold the micro SD card with the data on it. People pay big bucks for those bits of plastic, but some people dont wanna spend big bucks for the plastic. I wanted a Cyclo really bad but in the end I became a proud owner of a DSTT--the price made the difference
smile.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Even if EDGE did steal from team cyclo lets face it they did a pretty good job. I am really surprised with its performance (seeming as though its a clone and all), i really don't see why this should stop you from getting one though.

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand... why are you complaining? Perhaps Team EDGE is stealing from the CycloDS team, but since the EDGE is much cheaper you shouldn't be complaining.

(Note: OP claims it is a very serious topic. OP spells CycloDS as Cyclops.)

perkele

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hehe Moo said:
(Note: OP claims it is a very serious topic. OP spells CycloDS as Cyclops.)
Team Cyclops are the makers of the CycloDS (Evo), smartass.

Their first card was an exact clone of a SuperCard and they didn't even bother releasing software updates for it.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah they're big fucking rip-offs.
Team Cyclops make a kickass cart and the EDGE team copied it - that's about it.

Also, when the new CycloDS firmware comes out - the EDGE team get a hold of it and tweak it for use on their own rip-off flashcarts.
smile.gif

DSAndi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well i wont call edge a clone of the cyclo. It has a similar gui but thats it fo the most part.
A clone would be an ecact copy with maybe cheaper parts. Edge is not a exact copy.
The PCB is different to the cyclo one and the cards use different methods to boot and load firmware.
Also the gui is not exactly the same. While the softreset on edge is fast it takes longer on the cyclo due the fact it pops up an other window with options.
In the options of booth cards there is a spot for rumble support.
On Cyclo you can turn rumble on and off. On Edge u can turn it On and off and also choose how strong the ruble effect should be.
The Slowmotion also works different.

Adding more features to booth cards impoves the worth for the buyer and selling arguments.
Some options are in high demend so i dont see any bad reason not to add em if they possible.

As for stealing features you can say the cyclo did steal gui from R4 and improved it a little steal from supercard RTS, RTG and slowmo did steal from Ez Flash support for ez 3in1. Maybe even more.

So what is this nonsense about stealing features all about ?

All Teams add features to their cards. It dont really matter who steals from who. It does onyl matter who invented one at 1st place to give credit to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: hot take: freddy fazbear's pizzeria simulator is peak fnaf