Hacking Is Team EDGE stealing from Team Cyclops?

ace90099

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is dumb, complaining about one cart "stealing" from another cart. Being a pirate means you take what you want when you want it, end of story. If you can't deal with it then don't use flash cart and get the f--k out of the pirate community.

You want to sit here and complain about EDGE stealing from someone but its OK for you to sit there and steal DS games from the publisher. Ha, thats some pretty screwed up logic right there.

Face it as long as you sit there and use a flash cart you are no better then the people at EDGE.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who said anything about stealing or illegal downloading DS games?

believe it or not there are actual people who use these carts to only run homebrew
and besides even if they were running roms they are legit backups
ph34r.gif

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pimpmynintendo said:
ENDscape said:
Everyone copies from everyone, nothing wrong with that.
Everyone copies from everyone, nothing wrong with that.
I did this to prove ENDscape's point.
Lol

EDGE seems to be a high quality clone compared to stuff like the R4-III, and the U2DS.
The site doesn't seem to be in Engrish like alot of the other sites.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
DSAndi said:
Well i wont call edge a clone of the cyclo. It has a similar gui but thats it fo the most part.
A clone would be an ecact copy with maybe cheaper parts. Edge is not a exact copy.
The PCB is different to the cyclo one and the cards use different methods to boot and load firmware.
Also the gui is not exactly the same. While the softreset on edge is fast it takes longer on the cyclo due the fact it pops up an other window with options.
In the options of booth cards there is a spot for rumble support.
On Cyclo you can turn rumble on and off. On Edge u can turn it On and off and also choose how strong the ruble effect should be.
The Slowmotion also works different.

Adding more features to booth cards impoves the worth for the buyer and selling arguments.
Some options are in high demend so i dont see any bad reason not to add em if they possible.

As for stealing features you can say the cyclo did steal gui from R4 and improved it a little steal from supercard RTS, RTG and slowmo did steal from Ez Flash support for ez 3in1. Maybe even more.

So what is this nonsense about stealing features all about ?

All Teams add features to their cards. It dont really matter who steals from who. It does onyl matter who invented one at 1st place to give credit to.
Not so. The firmware, well, we don't really know the similarities in coding, but is is clear that either the code or simply the concept was ripped off The hardware, on the other hand is an almost exact clone. Those minute menu differences in the menu mean little. Feature stealing is minimal, but it is a cheap hardware clone.

Look at this and you'll know if it is an original product: http://www.monroeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12255 That, and the manual and other documents pertaining to the card are slightly modified clones of eachother.

Pimpmynintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
midna25 said:
DSAndi said:
Well i wont call edge a clone of the cyclo. It has a similar gui but thats it fo the most part.
A clone would be an ecact copy with maybe cheaper parts. Edge is not a exact copy.
The PCB is different to the cyclo one and the cards use different methods to boot and load firmware.
Also the gui is not exactly the same. While the softreset on edge is fast it takes longer on the cyclo due the fact it pops up an other window with options.
In the options of booth cards there is a spot for rumble support.
On Cyclo you can turn rumble on and off. On Edge u can turn it On and off and also choose how strong the ruble effect should be.
The Slowmotion also works different.

Adding more features to booth cards impoves the worth for the buyer and selling arguments.
Some options are in high demend so i dont see any bad reason not to add em if they possible.

As for stealing features you can say the cyclo did steal gui from R4 and improved it a little steal from supercard RTS, RTG and slowmo did steal from Ez Flash support for ez 3in1. Maybe even more.

So what is this nonsense about stealing features all about ?

All Teams add features to their cards. It dont really matter who steals from who. It does onyl matter who invented one at 1st place to give credit to.
Not so. The firmware, well, we don't really know the similarities in coding, but is is clear that either the code or simply the concept was ripped off The hardware, on the other hand is an almost exact clone. Those minute menu differences in the menu mean little. Feature stealing is minimal, but it is a cheap hardware clone.

Look at this and you'll know if it is an original product: http://www.monroeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12255 That, and the manual and other documents pertaining to the card are slightly modified clones of eachother.
Do we really need to have this conversation here and on the cyclods forums saying the exact same things?
Edit: *Waits for somebody to copy this a post it on the cyclods forums*

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
perkele said:
Hehe Moo said:
(Note: OP claims it is a very serious topic. OP spells CycloDS as Cyclops.)
Team Cyclops are the makers of the CycloDS (Evo), smartass.

Their first card was an exact clone of a SuperCard and they didn't even bother releasing software updates for it.

Lol.. ok i got owned there. =P

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Noitora said:
Glacius0 said:
There is a more logical explanation:

Team Cyclo wanted to produce a low-cost card to compete with the other cheaper-priced low-feature cards out there. If it was a pirated card with the same firmware then it would have the same features but it doesn't (missing RTS, in-game text reader, etc).

Companies do it all the time. It's actually more expensive to make a completely new card so they strip the features and sell it cheaper to compete in the low-end market.
If that was the case they would have named it CycloDS lite or CycloDS Edge.
No, because they don't want their brand name to be associated with lower quality. Again, companies often do this too. Although I can't make any definite calls without owning both carts I still think my theory is quite plausible.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
There's nothing really "limited" there, paint your EDGE with a golden paint and somehow you get yourself "EDGE Limited Edition", they said so tehselves, "painted gold" LoL

back on-topic, they steal? Nah, not so, but on the other hand, they might be, they may steal the firmware, but who knows? It's like a question given in a class, if something is the right answer, everybody will say the same thing, got me? CycloDS's style sells good, and team EDGE do the same, since it will give them money

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The limited gold thing is probably just them trying to promote it.

Oh and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
who said anything about stealing or illegal downloading DS games?

believe it or not there are actual people who use these carts to only run homebrew
and besides even if they were running roms they are legit backups
ph34r.gif
Umm wrong genius, even backups are illegal, you are not allowed to copy games PERIOD. Since you live in the US this applies to YOU. Also running Homebrew isn't exactly legal either as Flashcards themselves contain Nintendo's Booting code. This code is also property of Nintendo. So all flashcards are ILLEGAL period, no matter how you look at things. They always will be and always have been. So who cares if the EDGE rips off the Cyclo. The Cyclo rips off Nintendo's Boot code. So all is fair...

Also if the EDGE really is a clone how come Team Cyclops hasn't said anything about this? I mean the SuperCard immediately called "foul" when Team Cyclops released their clone of the SuperCard, same with the DSTT team. Until Team Cyclops themselves officially make an announcement claiming that the EDGE is clone. In my mind it is not...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Well there are three possibilities

1. EDGE is a completely unauthorized/hacked partial clone of CycloDS.
or
2. Cyclops gives edge permission and support to produce a limited version of their card (EDGE) for a commission.
or
3. Cyclops produces EDGE cards themselves to compete in the cheaper market.

So why is edge only a partial clone?

Were those features too hard to clone? i don't see why they would be, considering they cloned all other features completely and exactly. how did they clone it? easily if in fact they are coordinating with cyclops.

Is it cheaper to produce?
Monroeworld Forums claims that "the EDGE is actually a CycloDS Evo, just without the 2mb of onboard OS memory". Personally i don't believe that 2mb would increase costs that greatly. But if i'm mistaken about that, would those features really require that extra memory to be present?

I don't actually remember CycloDS ever commenting on the existence of EDGE or vice versa, so that favours to the last two possiblities (you'd think if it bothered them then they would post a warning to users about it).

Well we can't know anything for sure, but it would certainly help if both the manufacturers commented on this matter.

On a final note, Cyclops has proven itself to produce great software, with some nice innovations in the DS scene. However, the DX fiasco proved them to be manipulative and strict on their high profit margins.

GreenJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
although cyclods has more features (currently) Edge is a powerful competitor simply becasue of its price

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
Glacius0 said:
There is a more logical explanation:

Team Cyclo wanted to produce a low-cost card to compete with the other cheaper-priced low-feature cards out there. If it was a pirated card with the same firmware then it would have the same features but it doesn't (missing RTS, in-game text reader, etc).

Companies do it all the time. It's actually more expensive to make a completely new card so they strip the features and sell it cheaper to compete in the low-end market.

Yeah, something like that.
but there isn't something called a low-end market, It's only the price that differs.

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
OSW said:
3. Cyclops produces EDGE cards themselves to compete in the cheaper market.

Well we can't know anything for sure, but it would certainly help if both the manufacturers commented on this matter.
If it helps i can tell you that both CycloDS and EDGE cards seem to manufactured at the same plant. An administrator on my site recently received a couple of the new EDGE cards direct from the factory, the same factory that produced and sent us CycloDS cards for review purposes last year.

The strange thing was he never even asked for the EDGE , and at first wondered how they even had his address. It was then that he realized the only factory that did have his details was the Cyclo one, and on further inspection found out they both came from the same factory.

Whether or not this is only place manufacturing these cards is questionable as well though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi