Hacking Is Seagate Freeagent Go the best External Hard Drive for Wii?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to manually fix the spindown issue, but once that's done they work good from what I hear.

My toshiba 320GB, on the other hand, has worked perfectly from day 1. I've never had to reformat it or fix spindown issues or anything.

dlxowhd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never had to reformat mine.
just used the software it comes with then set sleep mode to never.
took less than 2 minutes.

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
There's a post which someone complained that his freeagent go still spins down even after disabling sleep mode. So I guess its just a matter of luck as well..

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
You have to manually fix the spindown issue, but once that's done they work good from what I hear.

My toshiba 320GB, on the other hand, has worked perfectly from day 1. I've never had to reformat it or fix spindown issues or anything.

Is it just called Toshiba? What's the full name?

Ledzeppelinarock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I picked up a Seagate 320gb External Hard Drive a few days ago-- that's it, not a free agent or any other seagate brand. After wiping the software included on it off and formatting it, it works beautifully. I hadn't the need to manually adjust the arm speed or anything; left it on all night, and Mario Kart still ran well in the morning.

I assume that any other Seagate would perform decently, as well.

LxTrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one, works great. You need any drive that works and allows to disable power save. So really it's not that important to talk about.....

penetr8or

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't honestly say if this is the best..
All I can say is, my Maxtor Personal Storage 500GB has worked perfectly since the first moment I tried it..
No spindown, no reformats (except for me messing about trying to get a small 50GB fat partition to work with other HB, which it does now
biggrin.gif
)
Only thing I need to keep in mind is to cut the HDDs power when I don't plan on using the wii for some hours, but that should go for all HDDs

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Is spin down issue caused by the HD going into sleep mode or is it a different prblem?

Also does the HD have to be usb powered or can use a ac powered/usb drive?

malikai3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both my freeagents 1tb and 1.5tb have the spin down issue. I set them to never spin down onmy pc and they spin down after a while on the wii.
Odd thing is i plug back to my pc after wbfs formatting and they say an hour in the spindown manager. It keeps changing back from never.

how do you manually disable spindown if not through the manager.

tagteam3283

Trophies
XP
Country
malikai3k said:
both my freeagents 1tb and 1.5tb have the spin down issue. I set them to never spin down onmy pc and they spin down after a while on the wii.
Odd thing is i plug back to my pc after wbfs formatting and they say an hour in the spindown manager. It keeps changing back from never.

i realise this may be a silly kwestion:
did u set the spindown to "never" then "apply" before deleting the partition and formatting?

i have the 320 Seagate GO, the software was bundled on the drive whihch i instaled on the PC.

just ordered 2x500Gb to test

malikai3k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tagteam3283 said:
malikai3k said:

did u set the spindown to "never" then "apply" before deleting the partition and formatting?

i have the 320 Seagate GO, the software was bundled on the drive whihch i instaled on the PC.

I'm pretty sure i did, I don't really want to have to format the thing again, it takes so long to put games back on it.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tagteam3283 said:
malikai3k said:

So the spin down can be disabled in the 320gb seagates?

tagteam3283

Trophies
XP
Country
misteromar said:
tagteam3283 said:
malikai3k said:

So the spin down can be disabled in the 320gb seagates?
definately, left my 320Gb drive running fior a few hours and played RB2 for a good 2 hours after that.

not sure on the 500Gb though, yet to be delivered

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1