Homebrew Is Possible To Make Playstation 1 Emulator On 3DS?

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since when the PSP has a dual core CPU?

The Dreamcast has a 200mhz cpu, 16mb of ram and 8 mb vram and it is fully capable of emulating the psx, games like gran turismo 2, Metal gear or Tekken 3 are fully playable, at 4x the original resolution and texture filtering, the beta version also runs a great amount of games at full speed ( without saving and with some graphical glitches though)

So is more about how talented the people behind an emulator is and the real performance of the hardware rather than crush numbers.

Anyway I'm in the boat of those that think that it is not possible to emulate the psx at decent speed on the 3ds, basically because the 3d's CPU is utterly crap.

Not to mention the Dreamcast CPU was RISC.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Hiccup

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a decent chance of there eventually being a playable PS1 emulator. It might require access to the rest of the resources that normally can't be accessed. Overall, it probably won't be worth looking into 3DS homebrew for higher end emulation until towards the end of its commercial life.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't know about you guys but it's getting very boring seeing people push the "we need cfw" message in every single thread. The smallest of reasons and BOOM CFW DEBATE THREAD.... Just quit it already, cfw would be nice, but there is a time and place to bringing up, I'm sure people are going out their way to bring it up in every thread they can

Homebrew is coming along perfectly fine without it, kernalz akess isn't some sort of magical 2000% speedboost....unless there is some kernel activated over clocking or something I don't see kernel access going very much for homebrew, only thing I can think of is accessing the additional ram mode that smash uses
I highly doubt it's going to end anytime soon. People want the 3ds to be like the wii. Homebrew channel, installing apps, etc. And really we should be there already. Just my opinion.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Nintendo has put quite a bit more work in preventing homebrew this time around and a lot of homebrew developers have moved on to more powerful and open hardware. If people want it to be as opened up as the PSP or Wii, then they might have to make it happen themselves. I'm not saying there aren't talented developers still around, interested in homebrew, just that there aren't as many. I'm waiting for the end of the 3DS's commercial lifespan before I mess with it, beyond DS homebrew, so I don't have to worry about missing out on games. I'm not exactly desperate for high end homebrew, either.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not disagreeing with the point your making. But I would think that people would be more motivated to create homebrew just for the sake of 3d. I'm ready to see some 3d emulators.

I don't think that's really that strong of an interest for people that want to develop for the 3DS. If they were interested in that, chances are they moved onto a platform that has or will have VR compatibility. I don't have anything to back that up, but that's the impression I have from lurking various homebrew communities.

JazzCat.CL

Trophies
Website
chevaduchat.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Chile
Don't know about you guys but it's getting very boring seeing people push the "we need cfw" message in every single thread. The smallest of reasons and BOOM CFW DEBATE THREAD.... Just quit it already, cfw would be nice, but there is a time and place to bringing up, I'm sure people are going out their way to bring it up in every thread they can

Homebrew is coming along perfectly fine without it, kernalz akess isn't some sort of magical 2000% speedboost....unless there is some kernel activated over clocking or something I don't see kernel access going very much for homebrew, only thing I can think of is accessing the additional ram mode that smash uses

You're completely right, homebrew is growing at an amazing pace and a CFW its not really necessarily right now, i think in a certain future, but right now not. We need to keep trying this new emulators and other coming emulation programs for the 3ds. So, i agree with you :grog:

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're completely right, homebrew is growing at an amazing pace and a CFW its not really necessarily right now, i think in a certain future, but right now not. We need to keep trying this new emulators and other coming emulation programs for the 3ds. So, i agree with you :grog:
how does that even make sense? Just because you would have no use for custom firmware. Homebrew is growing at an amazing pace? We don't even have one official release of any emulator. Only playable games are pong and snake. And nothing has 3d support yet. You have any idea how quickly the other console scenes took off? Gtfo.

This is now a cfw debate thread thanks to gamesquest1

Reactions: Margen67

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Smea has confirmed that he isn't working on anything else major until the N3DS is more mature. The only notable way I can think of kernel access is memchunkhax, which was patched in 9.3. It will most likely be a whole new exploit with another project name if Smea even does something new.

If an exploit is closed in 9.3, but you are only running 9.3 and later in EmuNAND, doesn't that mean the exploit is still open?

A Nintendo64 is more simple to emulate if compared to PSX.
Lets go to see DaedalusX64 emulator for PSP what can do with N64 roms.

3DS has 128 MB RAM.
PSP has 64 MB RAM (Talking about 2000/3000/4000/5000/N1000/E1000 models)
3DS has a 266 MHZ DualCore CPU
PSP has a 333 MHZ DualCore CPU
ePSXe Emulator require at least a 200 MHZ CPU (Recommended a 1 GHZ CPU) and 256 MB RAM (Recommended 512 MB RAM)

So 3DS will never load PSX games at full speed.

What about hard mod options? For example, we get better emulation of Gameboy Advance games on the DSTWO because it has an extra processor. Sure, it goes through the battery faster, but it works. Couldn't we get a combination hard/soft mod to run either (or both) N64 and PS1 emulation at full speed? Speaking for myself, I would buy it.

Is there enough room in a cart? If so, in theory, might it be possible to not only have a cart include the processing required for multiple such emulators, but to conserve power by not running the processors it doesn't need?

It just has more cores, but more cores doesn't mean something is necessarily gonna be faster.

More cores means that more than one thing can happen at once, so if the emulator is optimized to use more than one core it would definitely make it faster. Of course, an emulator made to work with one core won't be any faster, and a second core won't make it twice as fast unless the second core could be dedicated to specific task that the first core doesn't need to touch.

Aside from processing, I would much rather emulate on the N3DS because of the additional control stick.

kernalz akess isn't some sort of magical 2000% speedboost....unless there is some kernel activated over clocking or something I don't see kernel access going very much for homebrew, only thing I can think of is accessing the additional ram mode that smash uses

Well, that depends. If Nintendo designed some way to more easily release N64 games to Virtual Console with minimal recoding it might be possible to someday take advantage of such a thing with the right access. Lacking that, I agree that you won't get much more RAM out of it aide from restricted RAM.

The ability to run emulators can still help with running homebrew. It is, for example, much easier to build a ROM for SNES than it is for building a new homebrew application from scratch. Well, depending on your background that is. And of course the new emulators are in and of themselves Homebrew while the motivation for pushing limits to run emulators can help open up new Homebrew possibilities.

Slushie3DS

Cold Beverage Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If an exploit is closed in 9.3, but you are only running 9.3 and later in EmuNAND, doesn't that mean the exploit is still open?

If you're trying to execute the commands inside of an emulated firmware above the patched firmware, then no, I do not believe it will work.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
If you're trying to execute the commands inside of an emulated firmware above the patched firmware, then no, I do not believe it will work.

That makes sense and it does explain why I have to use DS games outside of the Gateway EmuNAND, but the point is that it still works. Sure, it's tedious to go through extra steps and I'd rather not, but at least it's an option.

Reactions: Slushie3DS

minexew

ayy lmao
Trophies
XP
Country
As for the CPU part, I could imagine it being emulatable if somebody was willing to put 100s of hours into developing a really solid R3000->ARM recompiler and then went on to make tons of HLE gadgets, game-specific optimizations (like early N64 emulation) etc.

As for the rest of the PSX hardware (particularly the GPU), I have no idea.

Reactions: Margen67

Elliander

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
As for the CPU part, I could imagine it being emulatable if somebody was willing to put 100s of hours into developing a really solid R3000->ARM recompiler and then went on to make tons of HLE gadgets, game-specific optimizations (like early N64 emulation) etc.

As for the rest of the PSX hardware (particularly the GPU), I have no idea.

Well, as far as the GPU goes:

3DS/N3DS: 133 Mhz GPU
PS1: 32-bit R800A (33mhz)
N64: 62.5 Mhz RCP

The real question is if all of the capabilities of the 3DS are available for development.

As far as time goes, emulation projects in the past have been successfully crowd funded in the past. Just 6 months ago this campaign raised more than was needed for an N64 plugin. If a team was interested in such a project it wouldn't be that difficult to gain the funding to do so full time.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer the question at hand - is it possible to make one? sure. Would it run anything at even remotely usable speeds....I guess that remains to be seen. My bets are on no personally, but I hope I'm proven wrong. On notes of crowd funding, I think that's sort of a slap in the face to the normal standard. Usually these sorts of things are done not for monetary gain, but rather more or less "because someone got bored and decided to"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.