Homebrew Is Possible To Make Playstation 1 Emulator On 3DS?

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
People say that n3ds extra power won't help speed up emus because of same processor clock speed. (Quad instead of dual) I think it will be existing to see if this is true or not.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I might be confused but why would you emulate PSX on PSP when all you need is to convert ISO to EBOOT and run natively?

garrlker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People say that n3ds extra power won't help speed up emus because of same processor clock speed. (Quad instead of dual) I think it will be existing to see if this is true or not.

But can the double RAM make any difference?

It's not that a quad core cpu or more ram won't help, I'm sure there are certain cases in PS1 emulation that can benefit from that(more space in ram to load parts of ISO, more cores to offload smaller bits of PS1 like I/O or sound).
It's that emulation isn't like a game, it isn't easy to spread out the workload onto different cpus. Emulation is ran best on a cpu with a higher IPC. It's why Dolphin can only use 2-3 cores depending on settings, the workload can't be split up. I think the 3DS could run a PS1 emulator, but I doubt it would be playable for most games. The clock speeds are just too low:(

Reactions: SLiV3R

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not that a quad core cpu or more ram won't help, I'm sure there are certain cases in PS1 emulation that can benefit from that(more space in ram to load parts of ISO, more cores to offload smaller bits of PS1 like I/O or sound).
It's that emulation isn't like a game, it isn't easy to spread out the workload onto different cpus. Emulation is ran best on a cpu with a higher IPC. It's why Dolphin can only use 2-3 cores depending on settings, the workload can't be split up. I think the 3DS could run a PS1 emulator, but I doubt it would be playable for most games. The clock speeds are just too low:(

Heck, I'm having issues getting gpsp to run. Mostly because flushing the cache is slow, but that unfortunately can't be helped at the moment. If the cache flushing wasn't so slow it'd run full speed.

garrlker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heck, I'm having issues getting gpsp to run. Mostly because flushing the cache is slow, but that unfortunately can't be helped at the moment. If the cache flushing wasn't so slow it'd run full speed.

Why is it flushing slow? Is it Ninjhax limited or just 3DS limited? I haven't swung by your thread in a while so I'm a tad behind on its progress/News.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it flushing slow? Is it Ninjhax limited or just 3DS limited? I haven't swung by your thread in a while so I'm a tad behind on its progress/News.

My guess is it's just how smea implemented it, or any actual flushing functions are stowed away in the ARM11 or ARM9 kernel and the ones that are accessible flush the entire cache.

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time, textures are paletted, which just like it does with BlargSNES, the textures would have to be converted. Unlike the SNES, however, the textures aren't all fixed 8x8 pixels. They are variable, incremental by the power of 2. If bumpmapping and using the 3DS GPU's reflection samplers can be used (like it is being theorized with BlargSNES), then it won't be as much of a problem. The unfortunate thing about that is that the palette size is far greater than 256 actual colors, which the sampler is limited to. Sure, textures can only be up to 8-bit paletted 256 colors), but there can dozens of those, or even 100s of 4-bit palettes, or even a mix, because palette sets don't require much space in the PS1's 1MB of VRAM even after most of it is filled with textures and the display buffers.

^ that. Just the thought of dealing with all that makes my head hurt. From what i remember, you can set the texture/CLUT on a per primitive basis, and your options without emulating texture palettes with some kind of shader magic are going to be pretty ugly/slow.

I have (or had somewhere) notes on most of the file format for the map data from the first Silent Hill game for PSX, and I always thought it would be cool to do a native port/remake/engine/whatever for the DS/3DS, but I hated the DS's graphics capabilities, and the I'm not in the mood to deal with it on the 3ds so it's mostly a pipe dream for now.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but You're missing 2 shoulder buttons on the 3ds, and I know several games where you have to hold L2 + R2 at the same time, and it would be REALLY annoying to have to try to hit a button on the touch screen while trying to work the analog stick or DPAD, A/B/X/Y, and L1/R1.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
^ that. Just the thought of dealing with all that makes my head hurt. From what i remember, you can set the texture/CLUT on a per primitive basis, and your options without emulating texture palettes with some kind of shader magic are going to be pretty ugly/slow.

I have (or had somewhere) notes on most of the file format for the map data from the first Silent Hill game for PSX, and I always thought it would be cool to do a native port/remake/engine/whatever for the DS/3DS, but I hated the DS's graphics capabilities, and the I'm not in the mood to deal with it on the 3ds so it's mostly a pipe dream for now.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but You're missing 2 shoulder buttons on the 3ds, and I know several games where you have to hold L2 + R2 at the same time, and it would be REALLY annoying to have to try to hit a button on the touch screen while trying to work the analog stick or DPAD, A/B/X/Y, and L1/R1.

As far as controls are concerned, there's always the CPP, or the n3DS. Mappable/combination buttons can help for those without either.

Reactions: SLiV3R

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A Nintendo64 is more simple to emulate if compared to PSX.
Lets go to see DaedalusX64 emulator for PSP what can do with N64 roms.

3DS has 128 MB RAM.
PSP has 64 MB RAM (Talking about 2000/3000/4000/5000/N1000/E1000 models)
3DS has a 266 MHZ DualCore CPU
PSP has a 333 MHZ DualCore CPU
ePSXe Emulator require at least a 200 MHZ CPU (Recommended a 1 GHZ CPU) and 256 MB RAM (Recommended 512 MB RAM)
Hardware is way more complicated than just the stuff you listed.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

NCDyson

Hello Boys...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as controls are concerned, there's always the CPP, or the n3DS. Mappable/combination buttons can help for those without either.

I keep meaning to pick up a CPP for my regular 3ds, but I haven't found any at the local gamestops, and at this point, if I have any more packages delivered, I'm going to get in trouble. heh. mappable button combos are a pain.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PCSX2 is known to support up to 4-cores and has noticeable performance gains over the former 2x-core-only setup. Don't know if similar coding can help in this case.

Reactions: Margen67

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3DS has 128 MB RAM.
ePSXe Emulator require at least a 200 MHZ CPU (Recommended a 1 GHZ CPU) and 256 MB RAM (Recommended 512 MB RAM)

Best results for NON NATIVE PSX emulation (so i discard POPS) on PSP is this:

So 3DS will never load PSX games at full speed.
(Maybe a good framerate for only a part of titles like DaedalusX64 can be done but absolutely not with ninjhax)

If you want to play full speed PSX games while you're not at home just buy a PSP and use NATIVE emulation through POPS.

(A PSP at this time is very cheap)

Personally, i LOVE PSP N1000 (PSP GO). It's the first (and only) REAL handheld console thanks to its sizes.

love your logic well put, i would love ps1 on my 3ds it would be more convent but the specs dont lie.. so for now i play ps1 on my xperia Z with a moga controler
Facebook_like_thumb_small

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3DS has 128 MB RAM.

Most people that are hardcore PC gamers have computers that can blow the original XBOX's RAM and CPU speed away. Based on what you are insinuating, those same computers should be able to emulate XBOX games full-speed at 4K resolution and emulate the online capabilities like PRO-C CFW.

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
My guess is it's just how smea implemented it, or any actual flushing functions are stowed away in the ARM11 or ARM9 kernel and the ones that are accessible flush the entire cache.
You need kernel access to use the CP15 cache control instructions. As far as I know, services run in user mode, so they don't have access to that.

That being said, I wonder how smea implemented the general cache flush command. There are no SVCs available for flushing the instruction cache. There has to be a way to tell the kernel to do it from usermode (but then again it's likely that this way is what is limited to flushing the whole cache).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Don't know about you guys but it's getting very boring seeing people push the "we need cfw" message in every single thread. The smallest of reasons and BOOM CFW DEBATE THREAD.... Just quit it already, cfw would be nice, but there is a time and place to bringing up, I'm sure people are going out their way to bring it up in every thread they can

Homebrew is coming along perfectly fine without it, kernalz akess isn't some sort of magical 2000% speedboost....unless there is some kernel activated over clocking or something I don't see kernel access going very much for homebrew, only thing I can think of is accessing the additional ram mode that smash uses

Esppiral

Trophies
XP
Country

3DS has 128 MB RAM.

So 3DS will never load PSX games at full speed.
(Maybe a good framerate for only a part of titles like DaedalusX64 can be done but absolutely not with ninjhax)

Since when the PSP has a dual core CPU?

The Dreamcast has a 200mhz cpu, 16mb of ram and 8 mb vram and it is fully capable of emulating the psx, games like gran turismo 2, Metal gear or Tekken 3 are fully playable, at 4x the original resolution and texture filtering, the beta version also runs a great amount of games at full speed ( without saving and with some graphical glitches though)

So is more about how talented the people behind an emulator is and the real performance of the hardware rather than crush numbers.

Anyway I'm in the boat of those that think that it is not possible to emulate the psx at decent speed on the 3ds, basically because the 3d's CPU is utterly crap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum