Hacking Is it safe to download the VC games?

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just noticed SM64 and OOT have been released and i wouldn't playing them again (however theres noway i'm paying for them when i still have the original cartridges and console) but i dont want to risk nintendo finding out i just got them for free. i read somewhere that the only way they can know if you got it illegally is if you downloaded it, deleted, then redownload but is that 100% right or noone knows yet. i'll only use them if it's confirmed 100% safe.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i know it's illegal, i mean is there anyway for Nintendo to find out and brick my console. i ask because i heard the hack makes it seem as if you downloaded legally and the only way Nintendo can find out is when you delete the VC game and redownload it (apparantly some people did this to get it off the official source thinking it's safer). i just wanted to know if that was actually 100% true so i can get some N64 roms now or if that was just some guy talking form his you know what.

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
They can't as long as you have Wiiconnect24 off. The only other time would be when they force you onto their server to update, but I'd assume you could just boot the update from a disk and install it that way.

Basically keep your wii off the Internet (Games are different) and you'll be fine.

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
And that can be fixed by reformatting.

Nintendo never have bricked consoles, and I doubt they'll start.

opiumx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive already posted this in this forum, but here it is again.

I dont think nintendo would go as far as bricking peoples systems who have unauthorized virtual console games on them. If they wanted to brick consoles they could have already for other reasons. Instead they have tryed other methods as seen with the SMG stuff. If they do anything about this, it will more than likely be somewhere in the lines of re authorizing peoples VC games, and disabling the ones that are not valid.

Now this is what will really piss off nintendo, modders who load up systems with every VC game and sell them on ebay. Which would bring the cash value of the games way down. That is what will more than likely bring this to an end. What I am wondering, is can you install the games, then move them over to a SD card and just plug in the card whenever you want to play the games? Maybe disable internet connection before you insert the card? Not sure how that works but without internet they cant do much, alltho a game update, who knows.

wii2wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ssmatt said:
And that can be fixed by reformatting.

Nintendo never have bricked consoles, and I doubt they'll start.
Reformat does not remove everything. It may just leave these trucha signed tickets in NAND. Wad-uninstaller does remove them, but it might not work after IOS37. Can anyone confirm this?

jamhu23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone wants to ask is it safe then I would presuume they would like to take advantage of not owning a game first. Nintendo makes money from console sale (rare in this age) Nintendo are not going to risk bricking legitmate consoles (read their policies) if they kill it they will replace it. Nintendo might ban people from using their online service. If you want to play games online then don't mess with your console its that simple, if you like the idea of playing all your retro (legally owned) games then mess with your console.

jamhu23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't like to add this as it goes against the grain but Nintendo claim a special copyright over all VC games, makiing it illegal in whatever country you choose to download them. You have to have the original and play it in an emulator to be anywhere near legal. In short if you own the original game and download a hacked vc title it is still illegal

wii2wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now, we are all speculating. Privacy laws is in our favor though. Bricking console is the not their best interest.

Hogmeister

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets end this nonesense here.. its illegal no questions asked... your wii MIGHT be able to be bricked, NOBODY knows for sure... if you're worried about it, dont install them.. end of story.

defrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just dont update your wii, check internet before you are about to update. When Nintendo is going to take action about this it will be in an update.

zannyuk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Recently I bought Twilight Princess, so i could try emulators on the wii and am having fun with gensplus, not tried the other emulators yet.

Anyway why take the risk of installing a ripped VC game when you could play the snes/nes ones under emu. The homebrew scene is still in its early days and the emulators will get better and sooner or later the n64 might get emulated and that will be most VC formats covered.

It depresses me that thx to these VC rips nintendo might patch the TP exploit and that will be the homebrew scene over for those of us who dont want to (yet
wink.gif
) chip their wii.

If Nintendo decide the drop in VC sales now becomes unacceptable they could happily ban your wii from working online. Hell if your one of those who has installed a ripped VC game and then deleted and redownloaded from nintendo without paying they could check this. They could then trace your ISP and send you a bill for the downloaded VC game (i know it wouldnt be quite as simple as that but you get the idea) . "It appears you failed to pay for super mario world here is your bill, fail to pay and youll be passed to debt collectors". It could happen.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
^ because they have ripped N64 games now which means i can play my favourite N64 games again without having to wait for an emulator thatthey'll probably never be able to do and if they could it's more than likely a long time before we see it, so for now the ripped VC games is my best option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I think i'm one too