Gaming Is it possible to play Pokemon Retail Cart on older firmware?

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... my parents got me X/Y for christmas, unfortunately... they didn't purchase the 3DS that is required to play the game.

Troll move parents, troll move.

So... I am wondering, if I find a 3DS that has a firmware version 4.5 or whatever, will I be able to play Pokemon X/Y without any damage being done to the 3DS if I want to get a Gateway 3DS at a later point?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yup. It's possible, but it requires a DS mode flashcart that still works on whatever firmware the 3DS is on and it can be a bit of a hassle.

BenRK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why bother getting a Gateway? Functionality is limited and piracy illegal. Just grab a 3DS of your choosing, upgrade it, and not have to worry about people like me bitching and moaning. And, you know, if you get caught (which does happen)... heh... BOY wouldn't that be a fun chat with the parents!

GH0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why bother getting a Gateway? Functionality is limited and piracy illegal. Just grab a 3DS of your choosing, upgrade it, and not have to worry about people like me bitching and moaning. And, you know, if you get caught (which does happen)... heh... BOY wouldn't that be a fun chat with the parents!

Get caught by whom? While you may be rolling the moral high ground, you haven't added anything regarding context that I asked. So please take it elsewhere.

Anyways, the conclusion I am getting is that I am required to update if I want to play the game. So.. Hm. Looks like I need to find a plan on getting one.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, and I tried it, a pokemon x game save from a 7.1 emunand is not compatible with an official nintendo firmware. When save game is created with gateway and then played on official firmware a corrupted game save message pops up and you must reformat the game save to even play it. But, if emunand is the only thing you will be using then that will be fine. Gateway may fix this with a future firmware release.

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/

That is the thread you want. You can "fairly easily" find an old firmware console. Just look for a red XL unit. Flip the box over and make sure it is © 2012 and nothing newer. Every single red unit I have ever looked at (granted that's only like five, but this is at high traffic Best Buys in New England) has been © 2012.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up