Feedback Misc 3ds formatted its SD card while trying to play Pokémon mods. Any chance for an recovery

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
Was wanting to try Pokémon Eternal X & went to the G drive got the ver of the mod I wanted but saved to my sd & put it in my 3ds.. Turns out the mod file was corrupted and I lost all my save data, games, photos, and Mii data. What I'm most worried about recovering is my saves & mods (Bc I play a lot of Gay Fire Emblem). IT's an nightmare making sure each mod is compatible & I can't recall all my mods dl'd. It's just my luck with my 3ds lately this & the system slipping from my hands on hard wood floor shelling popping off and the screen protector cracking. I read a lil on Testdisk & am trying to recover files that way & I think it found some bc its moving some files to drive Dmitri ( D: ) If anyone has any advice please let me know bc my luck has been fucking dogshit as of late. If I can't Ima probly just toss my 3ds on ebay ort something bc FUCK this was depressing. Letting it try & recover but nc if it will work

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
You could try this:

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

I wouldn't think the rom hack caused the problem. I would think your SD card is going bad. You should periodically back up your SD card since they only have so many writes before they start dying.
Sorry getting off work & it went to shit right after which is weird bc I dl'd the mod b4 but then that happens. Used it & let it run for 18ish hours. got 17 of 64 gb recovered.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dl'd the mod b4 but then that happens
For whatever reason, cards seem to be unusally likely to go bad whenever they're physically handled.

Used it & let it run for 18ish hours. got 17 of 64 gb recovered.
Were you using Testdisk or Photorec? Testdisk doesn't usually take that long (and the Photorec output isn't very useful in this case anyway).

Some people also report success with Easeus or DMDE when Testdisk fails.

In any case all you really need is your save data. Everything else can be re-downloaded.

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
For whatever reason, cards seem to be unusally likely to go bad whenever they're physically handled.

Were you using Testdisk or Photorec? Testdisk doesn't usually take that long (and the Photorec output isn't very useful in this case anyway).

Some people also report success with Easeus or DMDE when Testdisk fails.

In any case all you really need is your save data. Everything else can be re-downloaded.
Ill run it through again. For the save data bc that & mods are all I care about really. Oddly enough the photos seem to be fine. Is then an way to use testdisk to retrieve the files bc. As much as I am into tech Im still not sure how to go about

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
Wha? If you weren't using it to retrieve files, then what was this all about?
I am? I meant if i’m not using it correctly. I got some files. Roughly 17gb. I’m asking more soif there’s a way to read/understand what im doing . Like the *, P, D, L. . I’m fairly certain I’m just over thinking it bit am scared of reading it wrong

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: The_Monado_Satyr

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you're referring to either.

In the past, people have reported following https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step to recover and repair the boot sector. (Of course, that talks about the NTFS boot sector and your SD card would be FAT32, but presumably the principle is the same.)
I think that's what I was trying to ask. I wasn't sure how/which to repair. Rn I'm going through mostly recovered themes, SS, badges & music files. There's about 75 "Recup_dir.x"

Edit 2: Looking my sd its in the RAW format but still has 59 of 64 gb in use Sorry that my phrasing is weird. So far I haven't ran into any .sav files but am fuck ton of .txt files
Post automatically merged:

Figured out the controls and yeah... Most of the SD card was fucked. Saves def so. Even the "Good files" had nothing to recover which sucks. But thanks for the help. I got to learn new software.

Last edited by The_Monado_Satyr,

AWESOMEGAMER

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I think this is gone for good. Once it is gone it is gone. PERMANENTLY means just that.

I have some recover programs but I have NEVER gotten my files back from an micro sd nor an SD card :-( A flsh drive sure one of those but not and sd.

Reactions: The_Monado_Satyr

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why are you bumping a thread that hasn't had any replies in three weeks? Are you replying to the wrong thread?

Yeah I think this is gone for good. Once it is gone it is gone. PERMANENTLY means just that.

I have some recover programs but I have NEVER gotten my files back from an micro sd nor an SD card :-( A flsh drive sure one of those but not and sd.
There have been numerous success stories at this point of people using Testdisk and Easeus. No one has said anything about "PERMANENTLY".

There are some kinds of file system errors that are indistinguishable regardless of whether they're happening to an SD card or a flash drive.

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
I got semi lucky bc I found back ups on my pc from months ago. So I thankfully recovered saves I wanted & so I didn’t care for. But anything that was pictures from 3ds cam was more or less fucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto