Is it possible make a app like Hamachi for wifi?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by onewing, Feb 10, 2008.

Feb 10, 2008
  1. onewing
    OP

Newcomer onewing Member

Canada
    First of all I would like to state that I have no idea how to program, so I would not be able to make anything like this on my own.

However, I was thinking the other day about how many more games allow local wireless play, as apposed to wifi play. Then I was reminded about something similar on windows that bascially "tricks" your PC games into thinking that people that you connect to across the internet are accually part of your LAN. The program is called Hamachi, and more information is available here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi .

So getting to my question, I was wondering if it would be possible to create an application that runs on the PC that would allow the DS to be "tricked" into thinking the requests from this application were requests from a local wireless DS. To me this seems theoretically possible, but thats not taking into account things like latency which would probably be the biggest challenge.

I am hoping that this idea just has not been explored yet, and that a talented programmer could make this happen, even it it was dreadfully slow. Mario Party DS would be worth it alone [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The process you speak of is called tunnelling and a few projects were attempted, some were fake and others ran into major technical difficulties and were passed up in favour of other things (like wifi libraries).

3. RaiDesu

Member RaiDesu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The xLink Kai team was working on one, but due to Critism and noobism, they dropped the project.

4. monaug5

Member monaug5 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I WOULD PAYYYYY if someone could do it again for the ds.

5. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

Might be possible, but don't know how useful it'd be.

6. RaiDesu

Member RaiDesu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Of course, it would probably require some Ni-Fi source code.