Hacking Internal PC hard drive via usb to wii to load backups

vydex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I had and idea about using my 500gb PC internal hard drive to load wii isos via a usb loader. I have formatted a drive partition to wbfs and also tried fat32 partition with the wbfs folder. All to no avail as the wii configurable usb loader will not recognise the drive at all. Im just wondering am I wasting my time trying this or is there something Im missing. If someone could maybe shed some light and point me in the right direction I would be eternally gratefull. Thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
he is trying with internal drive, not external usb drive.

So I guess, it's Wiicomputer USB cable, right ?

USB Host sees the connected remote device.
The Wii is already a host (it sees the files present on a connected external USB drive), and the computer is also a host (it sees the files present on a connected external USB drive)
hosthost doesn't work. You need to switch the Computer side from host to remote.
imagine you connect two hard drives together, nothing happen either : remoteremote

Wii host

vydex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Cyan thanks for the post.. I have tried what you suggested and unfortunately I cant get it too work. I have therefore just bought an IDE hard drive caddy for USB 2.0 as I have an old 30gb hard drive lying around which Im going to use for all games for the wii. Thanks again for the posts guys it was much appreciated.

Midnight Raver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vydex said:
I had and idea about using my 500gb PC internal hard drive to load wii isos via a usb loader. I have formatted a drive partition to wbfs and also tried fat32 partition with the wbfs folder. All to no avail as the wii configurable usb loader will not recognise the drive at all. Im just wondering am I wasting my time trying this or is there something Im missing. If someone could maybe shed some light and point me in the right direction I would be eternally gratefull. Thanks

I'm running one on a USB to IDE dongle on a 200 gig hard drive. I've also had it working with an 80 gig HD. The USB dongle is no different than the insides of most external enclosures.

Since you're saying it's 500 gigs your hard drive is probably SATA instead of IDE. If it were IDE I would suggest that you triple check that your jumper is set to master, unless it's a Western Digital, in which case you got to do the single-master setting, which is jumper off (or sideways).

What brand are the adapter and usb dongle?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Slimmmmmm said:
Cyan you maybe onto something here that could be epic.

If anyone tries this, please return and post your findings.
It seems what he asked for wasn't what I thought
tongue.gif

he asked only how to connect an IDE to USB enclosure.

But, what I said could be tested, there may be a way to connect Computer to Wii, and use the iso directly from the PC if a driver can convert PC USB mode.
I don't want to install the PSP driver on my everyday computer, but maybe I could try it on a spare PC.

Though, I'm sure it will not work, the software should wait for data packet the Wii will never send, because it was coded to read the connection request sent from the PSP "usb iso loader" first to initialize the transfer.
But if a Wii USBloader can manage to send this connexion request, it could work.

I just don't know if it's opensource (the source isn't included in the packages I have), but the transmitted data can be checked with Etheral anyway
happy.gif

The older one has a bunch of .dll, .inf, sys and a .exe
the newer one (1.8) only has cygwin and .exe

There are package for Win, mac and linux.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vydex said:
I have used an internal pc drive with a cheap usb kit off e-bay and had no problems used a maxtor and a western digital hard drives and both worked without problems

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a spare 40GB IDE attached with a cheap case I bought for $23. Works great.

I have a brand new unopened 500GB laying on the floor that I've been too lazy to install. Sad thing is, I've been hearing that the controller in my case may not like the size of the drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...