Hacking Installing IOS with WAD Manager, does it always override the old one?

nameist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi! I have another simple question and hope somebody have an answer:
Does WAD Manager always override the installed IOS if I install a new IOS, which uses the same IOS-Slot? (Even when the version-number of the "new" IOS is lower than the installed IOS?)

An Example:
(this is only an example I don't want to try this) I have System firmeware 4.2 with IOS60 v6400 and want to install IOS60 v6174 with WAD Manager. Does WAD Manager override the IOS60 v6400 with IOS60 v6174, so that I have now a 100% IOS60 v6174?

If this works, it would also be a great method for installing cios28rev14 on 4.2 without deleting the stub-IOS 249.

khim

Trophies
XP
Country
nameist said:
Does WAD Manager always override the installed IOS if I install a new IOS, which uses the same IOS-Slot? (Even when the version-number of the "new" IOS is lower than the installed IOS?)
No, if the "new" ISO has version lower then the installed IOS then it fails instead. You can remove new version of IOS before installation (from the same WAD Manager), of course.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
khim, even if u know what ur talking about, u fail for giving bad/incomplete advice.

never remove/delete an IOS unless u really know what you're doing, if u remove some IOSs your wii may brick

You can install a new IOS over an older version of the same IOS (careful not to install a stub IOS). If u want to install an older version, u can use dop ios (or dop ios mod) to do so. U can remove an IOS using any title deleter (or any title deleter mod), then install the ios version of your choice using wad manager. But as I said earlier, if u try erasing a vital IOS (ie. system menu IOS, 60 for v4.0/4.1 and IOS70 for v4.2), u have to reinstall the IOS asap before leaving HBC, because if u dont have bootmii as boot2 or priiloader and remove the system menu IOS, u are bricked.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seconded.

DOP-IOS is as easy to use as wadmanager too, there's really no reason to use wadmanager for IOS titles if you have an internet connection.

It will also warn you if you're about to download a stub IOS.

nameist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok thx for the answers.
But does WAD Manager override the old IOS, if I (for example) have IOS70 v6687 installed and want to install a trucha bugged IOS70 v6687? (Does WAD Manager override an IOS if the versions are the same?

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yes, wad manager will override IOSs if the version is the same

u can also modify the ios version using a program called IOS VERSION RENAMER (EDIT: see my post below for more info)

so u could rename an older IOSs version to allow u to install it over a newer IOS. But this is for more advanced users, so beware, make sure u have brick protection

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xflak40 said:

u can also modify the ios version using THIS

so u could rename an older IOSs version to allow u to install it over a newer IOS. But this is for more advanced users, so beware, make sure u have brick protection
that's for ISO's not IOS's

nameist

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ok thx

Now I have one more question. xflak40 says that my wii is bricked if I delete the System Menu IOS and don't have boot2bootmii or preloader installed. So if I have preloader installed and delete the System Menu IOS (IOS70 on 4.2) with AnyTitle Deleter , can I still load the HBC by using preloader?

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
would dop-ios not be able to unstubb the IOS60 cause Ive heard of people using it to unninstall cIOSCORP and the IOS's from cIOSCORP are all maxxed out version numbers

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
omg, just DONT delete your system menu IOS, is it so hard to not tempt fate and delete something for absolutely no reason... why are you asking how to recover from deleting your system menu IOS if you haven't! I must've answered this question a thousand times, and I will again, but this is the first time I've done it BEFORE the guy bricks his wii

u can recover from deleting, uninstalling or stubbing your system menu IOS IF AND ONLY IF you have bootmii installed as boot2, or some working version of priiloader (best to have a nand buckup also, but not required, only as a last resort).

You would have to launch bootmii or priiloader, then use that to access homebrew (without either of these things installed, your wii will ONLY boot to the system menu, and if u don't have a system menu IOS, there is no way of accessing homebrew, unless you have the right kind of mod-chip), then load up wad manager or dop-ios or wiiscu or w/e u want to use to install a working system menu IOS, problem solved

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
longtom1 said:
xflak40 said:

u can also modify the ios version using THIS

that's for ISO's not IOS's

my bad, I posted a link to the wrong place...

I just searched again like crazy, but I can't find the source website again... I feel terrible doing this (without the authors permission, because I don't know who the author is!!) but I've reuploaded it here IOS VERSION RENAMER

if someone can find wherever I downloaded this from, plz let me know so I can at least give them credit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1