Installing an OS to flash drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by TLSpartan, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TLSpartan
    OP

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    I want to install Xubuntu 7.04 (7.10 Ubuntu series lags like hell). I hear its ok to install GNU/Linux to a flash drive but not Windows XP (don't want to BTW [​IMG] ) Can someone explain why it's ok to install GNU(Linux if it is) and why XP can't (Waits for FAST [​IMG] ) Thanks in advance

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Bartpe (Windows live CD) has been around for long enough (and given they take out update sites: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/autopatcher/ there has to be something in it)
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    It is probably something mentioned in the EULA which if that "what is legal" is to be believed is no good in your part of the world:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=689...ndpost&p=905122

Also I would check machine you are booting off as some do not agree with being booted from a USB stick.

3. TLSpartan
    OP

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    I made a floppy once that checked the USB ports,CD/Drives for booting (Puppy Linux needed it)My comp supports USB booting btw. So its ok to run Xubuntu off a flash drive then? I remember reading about the read/write cycles?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Flash drives have a limited write capacity (most things do but these are especially prone when you line it all up).
    More recent/high grade stuff is OK and it is somewhat of an artifact like pulling a drive out while writing/pulling a USB stick without stopping it first: modern stuff tends not to go for the catastrophic meltdown route (although it is still not advised) but try to keep stuff like virtual memory (unless you stick it on a normal drive), logfiles (unless they are held in memory/buffer in which case you can probably do it) and other repeated disc write activity to a minimum. They also tend to come with an onboard controller to mark off bad sectors and replace with some of the spare ones available negating it yet further.

As for OK I know quite a few people to do it as a (more) secure OS (stuff like at in internet cafe/using someone elses machine) or as a repair kit although it tends to be run from a CD/DVD and have a USB stick for everything else or have the USB stick be the drive that the CD/DVD decompresses too (main kernel is on the disc but less used apps on the drive).

5. TLSpartan
    OP

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    I will install Xubuntu onto it now. Thanks FAST [​IMG]

Tomorrow the installing will begin. 3-20AM [​IMG]

6. Urza

Urza hi

Jul 18, 2007
    United States
    I'd use something lighter like Zenwalk (more optimized for Xfce).

7. TLSpartan
    OP

TLSpartan Kills threads

Oct 20, 2006
    Hmmmmm

I think thats the one Azimuth was recommending to me on MSN yesterday

Will try out. Thanks Urza