Insider reports claim that New Super Mario Bros. U will be coming to the Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Because there's a limit on how many times you can make someone run from left to right through a series of obstacles.
    Also only a few million ever got to play this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

its not like there aren't dozens of games not on the wiiu.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    The thing is, it's not that the games aren't fun, it's that the "New" series just was soulless from the start. They felt like games Nintendo had to make just to have a 2D Mario platformer on the system and nothing more. Yet on the same systems you can find Mario games that have so much life, despite technically being a respin of another Mario game. The lack of care in the New games is just painfully obviously when playing them, especially when you compare them to the other Mario games.

THYPLEX likes this.
  3. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    So, in short,

we got tricked by Nintendo to buy the Nintendo Switch because we hated the Wii U, so they're going to port over a bunch of Wii U games while also at the same time terminating rom sites so everyone will go ahead and pay for Switch Online so we can play these games?

In other words: We're buying a portable Wii U with roms with it.

Off-topic, I also want to friendly remind you that the Wii (U) version of Super Mario Bros is just a rom FOUND ON A ROM-WEBSITE.
    A Wii-modder extracted the rom and found out the rom used the exact same headers as roms found on the web.

THYPLEX and GensokyoIceFairy like this.
  4. GensokyoIceFairy

GensokyoIceFairy GBAtemp Regular

Sep 30, 2017
    United Kingdom
    England
    wtf

nintendo can't even be bothered to make original games anymore it seems, and if they port NSMBU it means they cant make a new NSMB game on the switch bc they said it was only 1 nsmb per console or some crap

why not just release the entire backlog remastered in one or select levels from each game for each world, complete with new gimmicks and changes, or something

the latter idea means they dont have to come up with anything properly new which is what they're fond of doing lately

NSMBDS was fine IMO it's just the others that were really soulless and forced bc NSMBDS came out when there had been no 2D mario for about 14 years

lol yea :P good thing i didnt get a swtich

5. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    It sounds like you don't have direct experience of how much effort is required.

Or maybe you'd hate it more.

GensokyoIceFairy likes this.
  6. limpbiz411

limpbiz411 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Screw that game, where is Mario Maker instead?

7. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    A "New Super Mario All-Stars"? I'd like that.

8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i dont know in what universe you played the new series, but over here, everyone was pretty happy about them

Pleng likes this.
  9. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    A universe where apparently my post has more likes than the OP and I feel like that says a lot.

10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    you can literaly make a new nsmb game on mario maker so yeah they got the engine maker so no its not that hard to make a nsmb game...

11. Rune

Rune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 15, 2017
    If it means anything, I totally agree with you. All the "New" games felt very lifeless and kinda bland. None of them were memorable either. I mean, if you ranked all the Mario games, not one of the "New" ones would even make the top 10.

For me, Super Mario World is still the benchmark for 2D Mario games, with Mario Bros 3 a close second.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  12. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    When the switch first came out I said Nintendo should have kept the dual system+handheld setup of the wiiu. Having a handheld keyboard for scribblenauts is much better than using the dials to type words. Also super mario maker without a gamepad and stylus is never going to happen.
    I wish they would come out with something allowing us to use a second switch to connect to a docked switch to imitate the wiiu setup.

13. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    come on Nintendo stop the bullshit and release the beast from it cage,METROID PRIME 4.

14. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    I predict Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric Deluxe

No sanic boom ftw

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    final boss battle of NSMB wii is very memorable for me, probably my favorite final boss fight on all 2d mario games imo.

16. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2017
    Argentina
    i'll never get the hate for the NSMB series, but NSMBU wasnt the most interesting of the series, if it wasnt because of the amount of content i would consider it the worst of the bunch, then again NSMB 2 exists, fuck that game.

17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    this is a decent game. I do like it. in fact, I've been through it enough times that I have all star coin locations memorized. however, I'm not sure if I'll buy this again. I bought dkc tropical freeze, because I absolutely love dkc but do I love this? I bought all of my games on the wii u digitally, so I was unable to sell them back once piracy was possible. I'm a bit reluctant with all these switch ports. :-/

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    This is one game that doesn't need to be ported, it's very forgettable.

19. WaluigiMan

WaluigiMan GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2018
    Germany
    at ur moms place
    Ah man not another port just give us a new game nintendo

20. leafeon34

leafeon34 意地悪な男の人

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    I liked this game but not enough to buy it a second time