Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what you're saying is that you could buy a bunch of copies of, say, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl Ultimate Edition and then use its cert on another game and connect online and be fine?
Post automatically merged:

if there was a way to actually dupe gold coins, using it is considered fraud and puts you on the chopping block for the fbi. See the fifa coin fraud case.
Interesting, but yes, you could theoretically go buy a bunch of clearance games, each is a unique cert, attach each to a more expensive title and be good, time will tell if they look for this. I’m still thinking they can tell from the speed at which title switch, a mig would cycle faster than actually switching physical carts.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, but yes, you could theoretically go buy a bunch of clearance games, each is a unique cert, attach each to a more expensive title and be good, time will tell if they look for this. I’m still thinking they can tell from the speed at which title switch, a mig would cycle faster than actually switching physical carts.
I'm wondering though for example if certain Certs belong to certain game cards discretely. example: Cert xxx1Axx - xxx9Zxx is for Mariokart cards only, Cert xxxxx1A - xxxxx9Z is for Wonder cards only, etc. Others may work, but will they raise red flags through big N servers.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm wondering though for example if certain Certs belong to certain game cards discretely. example: Cert xxx1Axx - xxx9Zxx is for Mariokart cards only, Cert xxxxx1A - xxxxx9Z is for Wonder cards only, etc. Others make work, but will they raise red flags through big N servers.

I believe there is an assigned pairing between games and cert IDs. They should be able to be validated on Nintendo's end. If they don't do it in real time, they would probably have it logged and analyzed after the fact. If people are using mismatched certs, I think they're asking to be flagged. Tbh, I wouldn't put a Mig into my Switch at all.

There should be no way kill the console this time around as CFW is needed to write to the NAND and bypass code signature checks. Worst it could do is to brick itself.

I think he was talking about the mig dying on purpose so you have to buy the next version when they release it. The DS cards were infamous for self-destructing.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are y'all ready for: "Why my Switch is banned" threads in the following months?
popcorn-michael-jackson.gif

Also... 1 month until chinese clones it.
I already see a big Lawsuit against N. How many ppl will buy a used games from ,ebay, amazon, retail Shops and get banned because someone dumped them before?
Someone dumps it ,uses it in MIG and sells it , another guy buys it but he does not like it and another guy buys it. That is already 3 flaged devices

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overweight middle aged man: “I‘ve tested mig switch with backup copies of games that I legitimately own myself… ring fit adventure…”

me: “hmmm”

overweight middle aged man “just pop it in and out again… race with Ryan…”

me: “ok, if you’re going to pretend to own games, at least make an effort!”
To be fair, those could be a couple of the only games they actually own. Bought Ring Fit for the wife and Race With Ryan for the kid(s), since both are in the bargain bin nowadays.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I already see a big Lawsuit against N. How many ppl will buy a used games from ,ebay, amazon, retail Shops and get banned because someone dumped them before?
Someone dumps it ,uses it in MIG and sells it , another guy buys it but he does not like it and another guy buys it. That is already 3 flaged devices
If you get banned that's on you because you haven't done your diligence. I don't think you have ground for a lawsuit because if you bought something flagged you have agreed to the trader terms if it was disclosed otherwise it becomes a catfight between you and the trader.

Reactions: Draxzelex

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pico boot and hwfly are dead now. 99% os cfw users are pirates, not homebrew activists.

Also people that can play everything for free will see a ban as ab acceptable side effect
I'm legit interested in Switch homebrew. Save managers, emulators, ftp, homebrew app store.

I wonder if those are possible with the MIG Switch. Maybe if they can make different filetypes of the homebrew the MIG Switch can read? With some cert and UID from some random lowest rated game lol

Then I can finally back up my island, mod Pokémon and some other games.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Yep, even the barcode on the box is invalid and fake.

I put a fake barcode on my Test Cartridge box. It's for a package of Oreo cookies. But nobody ever bothers to read the fineprint. :creep:
Photo_2024-01-28_04-34-05_AM.png

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
No. Homebrew will not be possible through Mig. Horizon OS only accepts Nintendo signed data.
Well since it's pretending to be a legit game cart, I suppose there's not much stopping the MIG from spoofing the software over to the homebrew after the sigcheck occurs.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
That's not how it works. There is a chain of trust. First the signatures with hashes of the headers and all the headers contain hashes of the data they protect. If you swap only 1 component at runtime the hash checks will fail and the fs module refuses to load the data.

przemo_one

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
honestly i think this product is too expensive and i'll wait till there will be a cheaper alternative. naturally only for testing backups of games i own, not to get my switch banned

Reactions: Jayro and BigOnYa

SylverReZ

I am funny
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
honestly i think this product is too expensive and i'll wait till there will be a cheaper alternative. naturally only for testing backups of games i own, not to get my switch banned
Or just ask somebody to chip your system. 100x better than buying a flashcart that may get blocked by Nintendo shortly after.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Normally it's annoying to carry so many carts around, but my Switch Game Case I use makes it pretty convenient, so I don't see this being particularly useful for me. The game case takes no more space in my bag than my glasses case, and holds 48 Switch carts. I'm only using up 22 slots so far.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
100x better than buying a flashcart that may get blocked by Nintendo shortly after.
I know there's going to be a slew of pointless "stability" updates rolling out for the system after this thing gets more popular... It'll be the same ol' song and dance of cat and mouse firmware updates... Nintendo blocking the cart, and the cart unblocking itself shortly after, just like all the other NDS and 3DS flash carts had.

Further improvements to overall system stability. (blocks flashcarts).
Damn, beat me to it.

DM9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So was thinking about it
Is there a way to repack the game files or hijack a compilation cartridge so that all the games pop up when you insert the mig cart ?

Like the new Star Wars game that has 7 games on the cart that all pop up when you insert the cart to swap out the game files

This had me thinking like back on the ps2 you could make compilation disc

Would be awesome

SylverReZ

I am funny
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So was thinking about it
Is there a way to repack the game files or hijack a compilation cartridge so that all the games pop up when you insert the mig cart ?
No. The certificates must be signed and matched up to the original game ROM.

Reactions: DM9 and BigOnYa

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm legit interested in Switch homebrew. Save managers, emulators, ftp, homebrew app store.

I wonder if those are possible with the MIG Switch. Maybe if they can make different filetypes of the homebrew the MIG Switch can read? With some cert and UID from some random lowest rated game lol

Then I can finally back up my island, mod Pokémon and some other games.
Not that we ever will have something as deep as hakate + atmosphere, but the thing says it requires 5 files to run. You actually just need 3 of them and 1 out of those 3 is common to every game, or at least works with every game. So right now I do not rule out the possibility of a custom XCI running on mig switch.

Saddly I missed the opportunity to test a multi game cart (those you pop in and appears 2 or more icons on home menu), but I bet there are dozen of people looking into that right now (people that are much more educated than me BTW)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Which is about as fun as it sounds.