Initial Mig Switch flashcart units now available and being tested by reviewers

aaaa.png

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The source of the games need to be the original cartridge.
You can't put games on there that were only released digitally.
It can't play digital games, only exact cartridge XCIs. This is why I decided against getting one, it will never support updates or DLC etc
They claim it will work with pirated XCI's without the extra files (Certs/ID) but that is a sure way to get banned if taken online.

Reactions: tabzer

auntnadia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Overweight middle aged man: “I‘ve tested mig switch with backup copies of games that I legitimately own myself… ring fit adventure…”

me: “hmmm”

overweight middle aged man “just pop it in and out again… race with Ryan…”

me: “ok, if you’re going to pretend to own games, at least make an effort!”

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, that's why we quoted the guy and informed him that he can't play digital only games on it.
You can use the Mig to redeem gold coins at the eShop - there are people doing it already. You can then use those gold coins to buy digital games.

Once Nintendo found out about this, they will definitely take action, because those gold coins are credits - they are real money that you use for buying games.

• Wow
Reactions: FR0ZN and BigOnYa

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You can use the Mig to redeem gold coins at the eShop - there are people doing it already. You can then use those gold coins to buy digital games.

Once Nintendo found out about this, they will definitely take action, because those gold coins are credits - they are real money that you use for buying games.

How is this possible? I thought each unique cert can only redeem gold coins once.

Reactions: BigOnYa

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Do you have proof of this working?

Reactions: BigOnYa

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
still counts as taking money from nintendo enough that I'm fairly certain that either the mig people will update the firmware asap to curtail that or it's not going to last long on the market. The video gives the impression they didn't know the cart could do however it works. That vid also interestingly points out that the way the mig people explain it to him, the dumper tool which should be hitting reviewers in not too long, like a couple weeks, basically just seems to be an adapter to read switch cart file systems through your usb drive, regardless of OS. Which very much means you'll be able to use it to play your physical cartridges on emulators and the like, which is kinda nifty imho.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way these reviews are going, I think these mig people really wanted their device to work for more than just the switch, the mig dumper which to me is still the selling point, letting you play your switch carts on an emulator really is a good thing, might as well find out, if using the mig on a switch dumper will let yuzu see all games at once to select from. That mig dumper could be considered a mini switch that way, yuzu will finally have a cart slot, if this could work like that.

Reactions: BigOnYa and tabzer

Stan4d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder... if MIG switch, when inserted, acts like a legit game card with the legitimate certificates...
What if you tried to redeem gold points from new games in the flash cart...?

Actually the correct question is: What is the probabilty of getting banned if you try that?
Free moneyyyyyyyy

• Haha
Reactions: tabzer

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

The first batch of the Mig Switch flashcarts have made their way into the hands of reviewers. Plenty of initial impressions have gone live, with users showing off how the device works. Just as promised, you can in fact play your "legally owned Nintendo Switch games", across any model of Nintendo Switch. However, there are more questions raised than answered.

For one, it's still uncertain if and when you'll get banned after playing online using the Mig Switch--the team claims so long as you have a valid certificate, card ID set, and card UID, and a fully complete game dump, you'll be able to play online just fine. Whether or not Nintendo can notice and take action is something that will take time to see. In order to obtain updates and DLCs for games, you'll need to be online to download them, as the Mig Switch can't load those files itself.

This leads into another quandary. The three aforementioned aspects--the certificates and IDs--come from a backed up copy of a Nintendo Switch game. If someone were to illicitly share their certificate online, there could be dozens or hundreds of users using the same cert for multiple games, across multiple systems, at the same time. Since you can obtain a certificate from a physical game, there's growing concern as to how it could affect pre-owned backed up copies of games that might have had their certificates used and banned. We know for a fact that Nintendo has banned gamecart certificates in the past, as found by scene memeber SciresM back in 2018.

If you're interested in seeing the Mig Switch in action, there are a handful of reviews from notable emulation-focused YouTubers.

So far, what are your thoughts on the Mig Switch? There's plenty of interesting quirks to the device, from its usage, to its mysterious development team. Have you ordered one, either to test out, or for use on trickier to softmod Switch revisions? Or are you staying away from anything to do with this flashcart?

looks like rent and dump gonna be back ig but this time they gonna get banned lol

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CertID to Game is not correlated at the factory for the Switch itself. Switch does not check CertID for content because it does not have this information. It is impractical to feed the Switch all valid CertIDs, it is also a needless security risk to just share all CertIDs in this fashion with the hardware. Switch only checks that the software is signed properly (this is why you cannot run custom files or packed updates), Lotus3 checks that the cart is valid. On Nintendo's end there is a degree of correlation but if the CartID is used to claim points or taken online, it is then 100% correlated.

You can use your own CertID safely for one game, at the risk that N doesn't check if the ID makes sense with the game. If you use the same CertID repeatedly across many games, it becomes a flag within N's token checks server side. No one action will ban you, death by a thousand cuts. This tool will give many cuts unless used very, very carefully. 🤷‍♂️

N's authentication handshake for the cart and Lotus3 is T2 which is done by asym crypto checks from cart to Lotus rather than relying on a hardware common key. They've had the ability to do it since launch but haven't had a need until now. :ninja:

They could do a funny to share bad CertIDs with the Horizon to then reject them coming from the cart. Would start a funny arms race but I think they will do some other more clever checks from Horizon to data passed to sniff it out.
so what you're saying is that you could buy a bunch of copies of, say, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl Ultimate Edition and then use its cert on another game and connect online and be fine?
Post automatically merged:

if there was a way to actually dupe gold coins, using it is considered fraud and puts you on the chopping block for the fbi. See the fifa coin fraud case.

Last edited by ack,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)