Tutorial  Updated

Infinite Picrites on Pokemon Picross

NOTE: If you are using the Homebrew Launcher on firmware 9.3 or higher, you can skip any SaveDataFiler steps, and instead follow what is quoted below.
Indeed, it works fine. Just follow the tuto on the page (https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls)
  1. Download ZIP
  2. Place the mmap folder at the root of your 3DS SD card.
  3. Place boot.3dsx on at the root of the SD card, replacing any existing one.
4.Then use svdt or JKSM to backup the save. Happy cheating XD
A fairly short tutorial on how to get infinite Picrites on the new free-to-play Pokemon game.

What You'll Need
  • Pokemon Picross (duh)
  • SaveDataFiler (or another way to extract and import your save)
  • HxD (or another hex editor)
Step 1:
Start a file and get some Picrites. You get plenty from the tutorial world.

Step 2:
Extract your save. The ID on SaveDateFiler for the EUR and US (NA) game is 017C1. I'm unsure of other regions. Once highlighted press Y to export save to SD.

lZyKUf9.jpg

Step 3:
Open the "all.dat" file in HxD.

Step 4:
Go to Offset 00000B40. The offset is shown on the left side of the screen if you're unsure as to where you should be looking.

Step 5:
Edit the four numbers highlighted to FF FF. The values shown below will be different since we likely don't have the same number of Picrites.

mPKP7mZ.jpg
->
EhPzsM5.jpg

Step 6:
Save your edit in HxD and put your newly saved file "all.dat" back on your SD in the correct folder of Pokemon Picross (X:\filer\UserSaveData\20151205133407\000017c1\) -> 20151205133407 is a date/time stamp, so will be different.

Step 7:
In SaveDataFiller, under the tab "User" search again for "017C1" and when highlighted (yellow) press R+X to delete the secure value

juaNhgK.jpg

Step 8:
Now go to the tab "SD" and select "000017c1", when highlighted press "A" to import your save, then press Home button to exit SaveDataFiller and start Pokémon Picross.

0s5mrww.jpg

Step 7:
Enjoy the game. If you want to support the people that made it, buy some Picrites in the store or something.

9CDZMIm.jpg

Worked great for me, here's hoping it'll save a few people long waits between levels ^^ Let me know if there are any issues!

EDIT: Although the game says 9999, I believe doing this actually sets your Picrite count to 65535 (the value of FFFF when you convert it to decimal). So yeah, you probably won't run out.

EDIT 2: Thanks to @DjoeN for the clearer instructions ^^

Last edited by Scarlet,

iwabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the tutorial. Can't use it sadly since I only have Ironhax, but hopefully something else will get developed by nice people.

Am I right that at a certain point you can't progress without paid Picrites? So far it seems the only way to unlock more is by the daily training (assuming you already unlocked everything you can). And what you gain in training is a joke compared on what you need to unlock levels / upgrades.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the tutorial. Can't use it sadly since I only have Ironhax, but hopefully something else will get developed by nice people.

Am I right that at a certain point you can't progress without paid Picrites? So far it seems the only way to unlock more is by the daily training (assuming you already unlocked everything you can). And what you gain in training is a joke compared on what you need to unlock levels / upgrades.
Technically, you can unlock everything without paying, but you'd need the patience of a saint.

MysticEspeon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone ^_^

Do you think that will be possible in the near future to pass that encryption and export the save with *hax 2.5? I love Pokémon and I love Picross, 30$/€ for the full game is way too much :(
I'm stuck in the fifth area with 30 Picrites. :hateit:

Deoxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone ^_^

Do you think that will be possible in the near future to pass that encryption and export the save with *hax 2.5? I love Pokémon and I love Picross, 30$/€ for the full game is way too much :(

I agree, $20+ is too much for such a simple game, regardless of how much I enjoy it. I've got like 4 picrites, and I'm stuck in Area 7. Can't be arsed to grind that much more than maybe once.

From what I'm understanding, homebrew methods of save managing/HANS usage/etc., that can all be fixed if and when smealum updates the *hax payloads to work with newer saves. Don't quote me on that being the correct solution, though.

Last edited by Deoxyz,

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone ^_^

I agree, $20+ is too much for such a simple game, regardless of how much I enjoy it. I've got like 4 picrites, and I'm stuck in Area 7. Can't be arsed to grind that much more than maybe once.

From what I'm understanding, homebrew methods of save managing/HANS usage/etc., that can all be fixed if and when smealum updates the *hax payloads to work with newer saves. Don't quote me on that being the correct solution, though.
Yeah, 9.6 encryption support would be a pretty big feature for *hax 3.0 =)
Until it's out (not saying it will do someday), homebrew users probably won't be able to edit saves for those games (likely including every game to be released in the future).

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
It wold probably be interesting to get two saves, one before buying picrites and one after buying them. Since there is a maxiumum, setting the save to the maximum will most likely unlock the content, just like in rumble world.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It wold probably be interesting to get two saves, one before buying picrites and one after buying them. Since there is a maxiumum, setting the save to the maximum will most likely unlock the content, just like in rumble world.
I thought about this, but that'd require me spending the money xD

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry but I don't get this? I downloaded the game from the e-shop but how do I extract that save?
You need to be on firmware 9.2 or lower to do this. Until somebody makes *hax compatible with the game anyway.

Arshes91

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
sorry if i didn't answer about the yesterday for as save file inside on sd card i copyed too..i understand that the file is encripted but if there knowlege (under picrites data) maybe can be edited.

Deoxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
HB users can extract save files, can't they? so they can do it too?

Apparently a lot of new games aren't working with any homebrew apps like HANS or save editors due to a newer encryption.
Give it some time, and whenever smealum feels like taking the time to update *hax payloads, we should be good to go after that.
I'm assuming smealum is likely aware, so I guess there isn't enough new games out yet for him to put in the effort of updating the payloads yet.

Robmead23

Trophies
XP
Thanks for the tutorial. It says this only works on 9.2 and below but I just did it using 10.3. The trick is to have savedata filer installed as a CIA and not use hax. Otherwise works brilliant :)

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the tutorial. It says this only works on 9.2 and below but I just did it using 10.3. The trick is to have savedata filer installed as a CIA and not use hax. Otherwise works brilliant :)
How do you even have a CIA installed if you're on 10.3? I'm guessing you're talking about emunand?

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone made a save editor for the extremely lazy like myself? I'm capable of hex editing but why not make things easier if possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1