Hacking Incoming Wii U update 5.5.2

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am in the process (yeah I know) of setting up my WiiU 5.1.1, I did buy a DS game before so I better get to it. I think RedNAND is great for the following reasons:

- NAND has only so many write cycles. The WiiU apparently writes to NAND often (log/activity files etc.). A RedNAND takes the burden off the built-in NAND and can be backed up and replaced easily.
- If you mess something up badly, restore your last backup and don't make the same mistake... brick-proofing your WiiU
- If you're in RedNAND and somehow there's an update, it can only stealth-update RedNAND, SysNAND is fine
- Given enough time, you will probably have the same as 3DS right now: use an out-of-region EmuNAND to get 100% compatibility

On the 3DS I had a 9.2 SysNAND and higher EmuNAND for ages (until A9LH/B9S with Luma which made EmuNAND unnecessary). I'd say that until we have super-early code execution on Wii U, a RedNAND is still a valid option.
Heres the problem you're going to run into. Count on it.

You'd better back up redNAND often. It's prone to corruption. You think your SD can handle all the writes that the built in nand Can? You're mistaken.

If you're a power user and you don't mind constantly taking your SD out to restore your corrupt emunand then go for it. You'll be safe but you'll be busy too.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heres the problem you're going to run into. Count on it.

You'd better back up redNAND often. It's prone to corruption. You think your SD can handle all the writes that the built in nand Can? You're mistaken.

If you're a power user and you don't mind constantly taking your SD out to restore your corrupt emunand then go for it. You'll be safe but you'll be busy too.
Exactly nands are designed for constant read and writes sd cards on the other hand are not designed for constant writes by using rednand you are majorly shorting the lifespan of the sd card.

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying the RedNAND implementation on Wii U is flawed? I just have experience with 3DS and never had any issues there (with 4.3 and 9.2 SysNANDs) but the 3DS scene is far more advanced than Wii U.

Note this is a question I mean seriously, not to pick a fight or anything. If RedNAND is still in beta or even alpha I'll stick with SysNAND.

No, it's just risky and if something goes wrong, don't be surprised. For most people RedNAND doesn't have much use.

JeffSkully

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure someone out there will fix the loadiine browser exploit to work with the 5.5.2 update soon. Not going to brick my console trying to do something I don't know how to do.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure someone out there will fix the loadiine browser exploit to work with the 5.5.2 update soon. Not going to brick my console trying to do something I don't know how to do.
1st of all. It took MONTHS... months for a 5.5.1 kexploit to be released. And it was leaked. Not released. A user got a hold of it that shouldn't have had it and leaked it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

2nd off, you won't brick with HaxChi. Brick risk is with ColdBootHaxChi (CBHC). Not HaxChi itself.

xkadafix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to confirm for the people that are in a panic. Both of my kids WiiU's updated to 5.5.2, I wasn't blocking dns because well like everyone else I thought it was a dead system(it is). However, everything appears to be working as expected. Haxchi and all games seem to be fine.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to confirm for the people that are in a panic. Both of my kids WiiU's updated to 5.5.2, I wasn't blocking dns because well like everyone else I thought it was a dead system(it is). However, everything appears to be working as expected. Haxchi and all games seem to be fine.

I would've added parental controls to prevent updating, but oh well.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Are you saying the RedNAND implementation on Wii U is flawed? I just have experience with 3DS and never had any issues there (with 4.3 and 9.2 SysNANDs) but the 3DS scene is far more advanced than Wii U.

Note this is a question I mean seriously, not to pick a fight or anything. If RedNAND is still in beta or even alpha I'll stick with SysNAND.
Yes, it is flawed. (We don't even know if Sys 5.5.1 and Red 5.5.2 works (and maybe it doesn't))
And y'all think that bricking a wii u is super-easy... well it is, but not for a normal user who just launches a CFW

KhenemetHeru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DLC as well?

JeffSkully

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st of all. It took MONTHS... months for a 5.5.1 kexploit to be released. And it was leaked. Not released. A user got a hold of it that shouldn't have had it and leaked it. I wouldn't hold my breath.

2nd off, you won't brick with HaxChi. Brick risk is with ColdBootHaxChi (CBHC). Not HaxChi itself.

I should have clarified when I said soon. As in whenever someone felt like doing it or as you said someone leaking it.

This HaxChi is there a video tutorial on how to get it to work?

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
That's what I was waiting to hear, heard a lot of chatter about the "AOC overlay update" and "does it break nonlegit dlc"...
Well, AOC Overlay App is Mint U (I don't really know what it is, but it doesn't break anything as far as i know)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I should have clarified when I said soon. As in whenever someone felt like doing it or as you said someone leaking it.

Please.. don't use video tutorials

Reactions: KhenemetHeru

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just read my guide in my sig. It has step by step and it's updated to reflect the 5.5.2 update.

mochy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay..
A lot of time that I can't entry GBAtemp for various circunstances, and the same for wiiu, I have pendent too finish a experiment game on Unity
Four days ago, I put new haxchi to load because the other version that I had, always says: -5 (Tried clean sd and nothing, it's curious, but luckily fixed)

I use rednand, and when today I finish play pokken tournament, popup update appear on menu (finally, I only shutdown, start rednand again, and no problem, the version it's 5.5.1 and no download or anything update (I need put dns for prevention)

I'm not an average/intermediate user at all, and I use rednand for various reasons...

My question: any solution or it's preferible delete the rednand and make new one with update version?
Thanks for all guys and nice work to help other users with problems (:

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone answer me this? I apologize if this is dumb/repeatedly asked/wrong place to ask, but I'm confused on some things and want a more concrete answer. I know more about 3DS hacking than Wii U.

My Wii U (5.5.1) is currently off and unplugged (with no DNS settings, didn't think I would need it) and has not been turned on since the system update was released. The only hack that I was using on it was using the browser then loading an app to load into redNAND (I know, outdated setup, don't yell at me. I don't play my Wii U often as I don't have the time). If I were to quickly turn the system on to add the DNS setting to my Wi-Fi connection, would it start downloading the update?

I want to look into setting up haxchi. I know that requires a DS game from the eShop, which probably requires an update to enter. You don't have to go into full blown detail, but can someone tell me the list of steps I have to go through to get haxchi properly setup on my 5.5.1 system with no DNS settings?

Last edited by KunoichiZ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: still, you're forgiven +2