Hacking [In Progress] PSP Amnesia English Translation Project

Mirlaine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Well, if Sky post images with hacked text and gets tons of Likes, why I cannot? :) Lets see, if it works this way...

amn.jpg

Uh, have you noticed the letter-spacing? It's a visual novel, so unless you adjust the font, it's pointless to insert the text back.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Dear, I have no relation to this translation project :) It is typical screenshot like Sky does, telling that it is possible to do so without much hassle. Obv I have no intention in adjusting font, but it is possible too. I just not really interested.

Reactions: JamRules

Mirlaine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Dear, I have no relation to this translation project :) It is typical screenshot like Sky does, telling that it is possible to do so without much hassle. Obv I have no intention in adjusting font, but it is possible too. I just not really interested.

Then you are obviously just another smartass with nothing to contribute aside snide remarks. Bye, bye! :)

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Who are you, precisely? One of the translation team members? Or what is your interest? All snide remarks are yours, you complain for... for what? For bumping a thread? Or for my lack of interest in otome novels?

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you do not have anyone now, except proofreader? Did I got it right?

Btw, what is difference between ASM Hacker and Game Hacker? :wtf:

I would say the game hacker would be the one to figure out how insert the text/images and write the needed tools.
While the asm hacker would add the variable width font, swap the system language and solve any other problems such as character limits.
Of course this could all be one person.

Anyway, it pretty unreasonable to expect someone's first screenshot to have variable width, it'll likely take ages (Looking at the 'G' it won't even be possible to do a quicker half of the spacing). As least your doing something

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well, if Sky post images with hacked text and gets tons of Likes, why I cannot? :) Lets see, if it works this way...

amn.jpg

Aha! Yes, very. How did you do that :o I've read somewhere that it requires hex-edit or something, but the font width/spacing is the main problem...
Well, I'm not sure myself since kyuuichii didn't tell us (or at least maybe just me) anything about the difference of asm hacker and game hacker, but I think it's as JamRules said.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I'm a hacker, that's how :) lol

Actually there is just a straight way - unpack INSTALL.CPK, change text (script/50), repack INSTALL.CPK... I believe almost anyone could do that, as it is really easy.
About that proportional print... Well, this would require quite a lot of time, and anyway you would have to put the end-of-line manually (this is how the script was constructed, I believe there is that #n for next line tag is used), so I am not volunteering into this (I never did that anyway, it is not that hard, but requires good asm knowledge, while I am a mere PSP user) :) But just to insert a text to keep things working for fans - you really need proportional in the first place? I thought you do it for fans, and fans would be grateful even for the not perfectly spaced texts, I believe.

While the asm hacker would add the variable width font, swap the system language and solve any other problems such as character limits.
"Swap system language" - you mean just swap the buttons and change language when press Home button?

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I see, haha. One dumb question; how exactly do you unpack those? Is there any tools you use?
'almost anyone' doesn't really include me since I'm not sure how to do that.

Well, at least you tried so we could know that it actually works! Thanks for that ^^
Visual novels (especially Amnesia) has hella long scripts, so even if the fans don't mind, we would like it if the long sentences at least fit in those (small?) boxes.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
I see, haha. One dumb question; how exactly do you unpack those? Is there any tools you use?
'almost anyone' doesn't really include me since I'm not sure how to do that.

Well, at least you tried so we could know that it actually works! Thanks for that ^^
Visual novels (especially Amnesia) has hella long scripts, so even if the fans don't mind, we would like it if the long sentences at least fit in those (small?) boxes.

QuickBMS work well to unpack these (along with cpk.bms script from the official page). Repack with CPKTools. About long sensences... There is that infamous STCM2L script used, I believe there is somewhere a tool to parse these, so this way you could add some more text boxes if something do not fit... Or there was a tag for that? I just googled that a bit like "CPK unpack" "STCM2L edit", so you can do same ;)

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
QuickBMS work well to unpack these (along with cpk.bms script from the official page). Repack with CPKTools. About long sensences... There is that infamous STCM2L script used, I believe there is somewhere a tool to parse these, so this way you could add some more text boxes if something do not fit... Or there was a tag for that? I just googled that a bit like "CPK unpack" "STCM2L edit", so you can do same ;)

One of our members tried what you told, and omg, it really works! This is the first time it works for us because the script doesn't appear at all before. Thank you so much!! >w<

While your text in the above example fits pretty nicely in the boxes, ours turned out pretty... ugly.

amn1.jpeg

So it seems like we still in need of someone who can change or adjust the fonts ;;;;

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
That's because there is a separate value, which tells how much lines used (in your screenshot I see clearly was 2 lines initially), so you have to figure that byte and change appropriately.

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a hacker, that's how :) lol

Actually there is just a straight way - unpack INSTALL.CPK, change text (script/50), repack INSTALL.CPK... I believe almost anyone could do that, as it is really easy.
About that proportional print... Well, this would require quite a lot of time, and anyway you would have to put the end-of-line manually (this is how the script was constructed, I believe there is that #n for next line tag is used), so I am not volunteering into this (I never did that anyway, it is not that hard, but requires good asm knowledge, while I am a mere PSP user) :) But just to insert a text to keep things working for fans - you really need proportional in the first place? I thought you do it for fans, and fans would be grateful even for the not perfectly spaced texts, I believe.

"Swap system language" - you mean just swap the buttons and change language when press Home button?

Yeah, save/load too, though this only applies to a real psp.

Also nice to see progress

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
That's because there is a separate value, which tells how much lines used (in your screenshot I see clearly was 2 lines initially), so you have to figure that byte and change appropriately.

Okay... How exactly do you change the value? xD

Also, another update. A subbed vid is available on our blog! Tell us what you think by voting in the poll.
Ukyou's 1st script will also be posted soon.

\(^_^)/

Reactions: Deleted User

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan

I do not even know, where is that value is :) Means I cannot tell you exact placement in the script, as I did not digged that. But you can open script with some hex editor with support of ShiftJIS (I used MadEdit) and try to figure that, by changing values near the text.

Try it, it is really fun when something starts to work :)

D

Deleted User

Also, another update. A subbed vid is available on our blog! Tell us what you think by voting in the poll.
Ukyou's 1st script will also be posted soon.

\(^_^)/

Thanks very much for the video!!

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I do not even know, where is that value is :) Means I cannot tell you exact placement in the script, as I did not digged that. But you can open script with some hex editor with support of ShiftJIS (I used MadEdit) and try to figure that, by changing values near the text.

Try it, it is really fun when something starts to work :)

Welp, we'll try something soon and see if it's gonna work how we want it to. Yeap, the feel when something goes exactly how you predict it to, haha. Anyway, thanks for the tip! ^^

Thanks very much for the video!!

Yeay! Glad you like it~

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick attempt at a VWF,
http://www.mediafire.com/download/40nw5vis3o87l3i/eboot.BIN

Before

uljm05931_00034.jpg

After

uljm05931_00033.jpg

Before

uljm05931_00046.jpg

After

uljm05931_00047.jpg

Orion’s face was just an amusing coincidence

Important data for the widths are:
Char count at 0x444D14 (set to 0 to disable vwf)
Default width at 0x444D20 – 17 (matches original)
Char table at 0x444D40 in the eboot / 0x09E1BF50 in ram
-1 byte – char
-1 byte – width

chartable.png

Injection points are:

/**Save current letter – Ram : 0x0887BD10 – eboot : 0x077DD0*/
j 0x09E1BEF0
sw a3, 0xC(sp)

/**Set width – Ram : 0x0887C42C – eboot : 0x0784EC*/
j 0x09E1BE10
nop

Notes:
*Probably does not work on a real psp – I can’t get extra eboot sections to load on real psps
(the injected code needs moving to an existing free space, e.g. overwrite unneed font tiles)
*Font probably needs adjusting
*Space needs hacking seperately
*Only works for chars less than 0x80 (shouldn't be a problem though for an English translation)

I probably won't be spending any longer on this game, just looked out of interest, hopefully you guys find a proper hacker for the group

Reactions: darekasan

mochii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Whoaaa, that's an awesome work you have there *O*
Thank you so much! We'll try that stuff to see how it works on our part ~ ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk