Im thinking about picking up a PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by fuctfuct, Jan 20, 2008.

Jan 20, 2008
  1. fuctfuct
    OP

Member fuctfuct GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Do the NES/SNES/GEN/GBA emus really run FULL speed? I'm skeptical about SNES and GBA even though i just watched some vids on youtube lol.

Side question (searching now so dont get mad [​IMG] ): Do i need to worry about which one i get while i'm at the store or does the Pandora Battery finally solve this?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    snes runs pretty much full speed on ds, so i'd assume its good for psp

also, pandora battery works on all psp's so far

3. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Snes is nowhere close to full speed. Sure, some games run at full speed, but in general, most of them don't. You gotta use frameskip to play those. NES is full speed, Genesis is full speed too (but horrible ghosting due to the screen), don't really know about GBA, but if I recall correctly, not every game was full speed.

Forgot to mention: what's truly great about the PSP is the fact that it can run almost the entire PSX library at full speed. That's why I picked up a new one after I sold mine some years ago. Totally worth it for this [​IMG]

4. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Every GBA game I've played on mine runs at full speed, although I don't think I've tried any with 3D graphics yet.

Not all SNES games will run full speed, but it still does a better job than the DS.

5. fuctfuct
    OP

Canada
    That sucks about SNES [​IMG] .. was the main reasons i wanted to buy one [​IMG]

6. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    You can convert your isos. Really, PS1 Portable kicks the ass of every other system around! [​IMG]

7. HyoImowano

Member HyoImowano GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've never had any slowdown with SNES emulators except when trying to do two-player. Every GBA game I've tried has also been full speed. Also, Sega CD runs full speed too [​IMG] .

8. Bitbyte

Belgium
    Yeah, I'm sorry about SNES. I'm just telling you how it is, because I know what it's like to be disappointed. Like I said in my first post, I sold my PSP once; the reason I sold it was solely because of the SNES emulation, since I too was looking for perfect handheld SNES emulation but ended up with a SNES emulator that isn't half as good as the Xbox/PC counterparts.

If you really want good SNES emulation and are getting a PSP based on that, I wouldn't get a PSP. Also, HyoImowano mentioned he's never had slowdown. When I was trying some of my favourite SNES games, mostly RPGs, the speed was OK, not full speed, but it had horrible vsync! This means that you can see the screen scrolling every so often, which gets extremely annoying, especially if you demand (almost) perfect emulation.

9. fuctfuct
    OP

Canada
    I assume you have tryed the latest emu and are not talking about the old one you tryed long ago? [​IMG]

10. Bitbyte

Belgium
    Yeah, of course [​IMG]. Once I got my new PSP, that was one of the first things I tried. FYI, the best SNES emulator (SNES TYL) doesn't get updated any longer, only to get it to work on the slim. There's another one in development, but I doubt it'll be perfect since the devs of snes tyl already said that they've tried just about everything except a dynamic rewriting of the code (and they won't do that anymore since it wouldn't increase the speed a lot).

11. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    One warning: Since I've gotten my PSP, my DS gets about 10% of the playtime it used to.

12. fuctfuct
    OP

Canada
    Heh ... well sux about SNES but i'm really interested in PSX now.

13. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Dont worry, it's good enough.

14. HyoImowano

United States
    I must admit that most of the SNES games I've tried/played are action/beat em ups, not RPGs. Final Fight FTW!

15. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    What is the best SNES emulator for the PSP right now? I haven't even bothered with SNES emulation for a few months now.

I was using SNES TYL(pretty sure), but was getting horrible slow down in a lot of games.

So what's the latest and greatest? You would think SNES emulation would be perfect on the PSP.

16. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    SNES TYL ME (I think that's it)

I get full speed on most games except for ones with chips like SMRPG (Usually 60 fps, sometimes 30-50) and SMK and Yoshi's Island are unplayable.

17. HyoImowano

United States
  18. fuctfuct
    OP

Canada
    Fucks the point then!? lol ...

Not getting a PSP now [​IMG]

19. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yoshi's Island GBA is full speed on GPSP.
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit is also full speed (You can unlock the SNES tracks in this one)

20. DespizingU

Member DespizingU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, ok. I'm pretty sure it's TYL ME on my microsd. But I was getting slow down in a lot of games. Like Super Castlevania, Kamikaze, and a few others.

I was just hoping the emulator got updated in the past few months since I used it last, or a brand new one was created. Crazy the PS1 emulation is just about full speed(I haven't came across a ps1 game yet that hasn't played correctly), and SNES emulation isn't. Guess because the PS1 emu was actually made by Sony.