I'm suprised by the gaming community.....Because the next BEST gaming console is....

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Just to say:
I'm suprised by the gaming community because no-one speaks about it.....Because the next BEST GAMING CONSOLE is coming out and is...a futur next-gen ANDROID TV!!!

Android TV have gotten more powerful, can have tons of emus, you can put your collection in them, OS are getting better, CPU are getting better....
Soon, we will have all-in-one TV with possible PS1 TO PS4 emus!! The only thing that will be missing will be network, but that only depends of Sony!!
Imagine, to improve the CPU, you change a little box in your tv.....Everything takes LESS SPACE and is combined!!! Your play on a big SCREEN with good audio, not a tiny screen!!!
No thousands of cable, no thousand of consoles around you......All in one!! OS is always improving in real time almost....
That is FUTUR, don't you think?? And not even a heading/rubric on GBATEMP for Speaking of SMART TVS??? IS something goind wrong in the communauty??
PS6 might be a TV in the futur!! the console will have a bad shape like the PS5 but be just a bit thicker than the surface of a usual screen!! The motherboard of the console would be easy to change from the tv....This is the futur....Why doesn't Sony or anyone sees this?

That is the Futur, and GBATEMP don't speak about Smart TV? Weird....

blue-moon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vgcollect.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
for some emulators sure, but why would Sony want to cram an entire next gen console into a TV? wouldn't that cause problems for cooling and airflow and be stupidly expensive to not only buy a new console but a new TV every generation?

Reactions: AncientBoi

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well no.....Does a 860 Snapdragon has too much heat?? Hell no! My puny android TV already goes up the Dreamcast so, I image easily with a newer GPU/CPU.....
The console would be interchangeable and fit inside the TV. You don't change the tv, you just change a component inside.
How needs a console with tons of wires, a console that takes a lot of space like the PS5 and that is horrible??
We needsa console where all title of previous consoles works with the new generation included and that is speedy and easy....

Last edited by mrmagicm,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I thought the playstation tv was actually a TV that played playstation games, like one of those tv with the dvd disc things. I thought it would be both cool and funny to put playstation blu-ray disc games into your tv and also movies.

NO, is just a Playstation vita with HDMI support that won't let you play all the games and can't even do 1080P, but it does 1080I :blink:

Part of me was very disappointed but then I grown to like the thing. I wish nintendo made something like that for the Nintendo DS/3DS. Maybe the wii u could have done it. That SD card slot that could have maybe doubled as a NDS or 3DS cart slot. Like the gameboy player for gamecube. Play the games on tv and gamepad in HD and stuff. :ninja:

Of course something like playstation vita for tv was something I had before stuff like OUYA and Nvidia shield tv. Out of all that mess, the shield tv still being sold today, though I prefer the older looking models than the new one that seem to be like cutting too much corners. Is nice and small, but now it can't even have 500GB internal storage, need a SD card or usb storage. :P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I feel old fashioned for not believing in it, but ey... That's me.

For what it's worth: it's certainly an interesting position. No extra wires, no external party. Heck... Even the remote could double as a controller.

I'm just wondering where the money will come in. Console gamers have a tradition of wanting physical discs, so selling them a tv without disc slot will be met with criticism. Not really a valid one, as i presume a lot of these 'physical only' clowns bought a steam deck, but a criticism nonetheless. And that's the main hurdle, imho: getting them to spend money on new games enough to make it a valid ecosystem.

I'm not sure on the current status of smart tv's capabilities of running emulators. Sure, some probably already can get a fair range. But this far nothing I'd see myself replacing my current television set for (meaning: if i wanted something above wiiu, i would've bought it by now).

Edit: i should mention the main Achilles heel for consoles for me: my girlfriend(and fairly sure child as well) hogs the television. I guess I'm not alone, as indicated by the deck's success.

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
While yes, Android TV seems to be the future, home consoles are not going anywhere anytime soon. Consoles still have a huge userbase, and they have their own games that can't run on an Android device. And while yes, a Snapdragon processor is powerful for what it is, it really cannot compete with the hardware of the newer consoles. They are about as powerful as a high-end PC nowadays.
As for ”just emulate”, while yes you can emulate a lot on Android, it doesn't have everything, especially beyond the 6th generation. You can't go farther than the Wii in terms of emulation right now, and the Xbox Series and PS5 are light years ahead of the Wii spec-wise. And most Android games by themselves are just garbage. Most are hypercasual or match 3 games. Very rarely there is something that stands out. Let's not even mention ads. So yeah, Android TV, in my opinion, cannot be mainstream gaming-wise, let alone replace consoles.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

Just to say:
I'm suprised by the gaming community because no-one speaks about it.....Because the next BEST GAMING CONSOLE is coming out and is...a futur next-gen ANDROID TV!!!

Android TV have gotten more powerful, can have tons of emus, you can put your collection in them, OS are getting better, CPU are getting better....
Soon, we will have all-in-one TV with possible PS1 TO PS4 emus!! The only thing that will be missing will be network, but that only depends of Sony!!
Imagine, to improve the CPU, you change a little box in your tv.....Everything takes LESS SPACE and is combined!!! Your play on a big SCREEN with good audio, not a tiny screen!!!
No thousands of cable, no thousand of consoles around you......All in one!! OS is always improving in real time almost....
That is FUTUR, don't you think?? And not even a heading/rubric on GBATEMP for Speaking of SMART TVS??? IS something goind wrong in the communauty??
PS6 might be a TV in the futur!! the console will have a bad shape like the PS5 but be just a bit thicker than the surface of a usual screen!! The motherboard of the console would be easy to change from the tv....This is the futur....Why doesn't Sony or anyone sees this?

That is the Futur, and GBATEMP don't speak about Smart TV? Weird....

This belongs in the Edge of the Forum. And if you don't start spelling "Future" right, I'm gonna gave Tempy the mascot slap you silly.

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Won't happen for a few reasons:

- Costs, consoles are already expensive at launch, adding a tv would double the price

- Size, how big would the tv be? Not everyone wants the same size, some wants smaller because of space, some want huge ones. Selling multiple combos wouldn't ve practical

- Stores, how would a small store shelve these enormous boxes?

Sure, Sony could release a set of tv's, with a panel where you can insert a new cpu, but:

- Consoles should be plug and play, some don't want to change cpu's and such. Changing them would also come with new thermal paste and such

- Cpu changes alone aren't enough in the longer run, You need extra ram, extra power, new sockets to connect the cpu...

So no, it will never be a thing. I do have to mention Sony released tv's with psx and ps2 build in, back in the days, but they weren't too succesful. Nintendo also released a tv with a nes inside of it, which met a similar fate.

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Won't happen for a few reasons:

- Costs, consoles are already expensive at launch, adding a tv would double the price
"Did you understand when I said you would change the CPU/GPU from time to time, in a part of the tv?"

- Size, how big would the tv be? Not everyone wants the same size, some wants smaller because of space, some want huge ones. Selling multiple combos wouldn't ve practical
A tv is no minimum 2 MetersX1M rectangle, Do you understand it takes less space when the consoles is spread in in width and length? It because less thick.

- Stores, how would a small store shelve these enormous boxes?
Have you seen Tv lately?? They have becaume 5CM in thickness, so if the Tv is 9CM in thickness, who cares??

So no, it will never be a thing. I do have to mention Sony released tv's with psx and ps2 build in, back in the days, but they weren't too succesful. Nintendo also released a tv with a nes inside of it, which met a similar fate.

hum....Do you know about an OS called Android? An Os Nokia never put on their phone at the beginning and that stubborn Sony keeps putting away?? Other will come to this conclusion as a full os console TV. It nos the TV....IT the OS that can be improved. As I said, I have a very cheap puny tv, it can play DREAMCAST/Wii/PSP Games, so a mid powerfull TV could play easily PS4, now, latest phones are more potent than a PS5 Guy, and the PS5 is only at the beginning of it's cycle!!

The first constructor to do this NICELY will grab the market!!

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
You sound like you're a Google ninja trying to sell us Android TV.

”Have you seen Tv lately?? They have becaume 5CM in thickness, so if the Tv is 9CM in thickness, who cares??”
They are a metter long mind you. And they fill up shelves quickly.

”hum....Do you know about an OS called Android?”
No man never heard of that, thanks for enlightening me.

”Other will come to this conclusion as a full os console TV. It nos the TV....IT the OS that can be improved”
Yeah no, nobody wants to carry a TV around for consoles, and the whole point of consoles is that you don't need to switch the components.

”As I said, I have a very cheap puny tv, it can play DREAMCAST/Wii/PSP Games”
If everything people are gonna use these for is emulation, might as well quit the console wars altogether and put out cheap mobile games with ads and predatory microtransactions for all the Android gamers out there.

”now, latest phones are more potent than a PS5 Guy, and the PS5 is only at the beginning of it's cycle!!”
The architecture of the phones doesn't match the console ones. And also, why use a fucking phone with no buttons for gaming? Unless you get one of those emulation handhelds based on Android, it's not good.

Reactions: SylverReZ

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It won't happen anytime soon as mainstream because android anything requires a lot of small configuration changes.
One of the reasons that people buy "consoles" versus PCs, or other highly configurable options...(such as android)
Is because they can't be bothered. No matter how much emu stuff you can do, or even how high the hardware allows you to emulate consoles and even other operating systems. (Throwback to linux on windows vs wine).

Also most android if not all is run on arm architecture. It's not yet ready for mainstream stuff like that, imo...and maybe other smarter people than me.

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, let's see in a couple of years....I'll recall you!!! Anyway, a SMART TV SECTION should be here in GBATEMP.

Deleted member 610824

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
ok, let's see in a couple of years....I'll recall you!!! Anyway, a SMART TV SECTION should be here in GBATEMP.
Nah, it's not that important. Plus, general gaming should do the trick. Only Nintendo consoles after the GBA are here, and the last two gens of PlayStation and Xbox. General gaming is for everything else.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This post reminds me of the ever-present Smart TV links that have been on Wololo.net for years and years
smarttv.png

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
As much as I like Android I disagree with you.

Most Android TV devices are not shipping with the high end processors you find in mobile devices, you are getting the bare minimum to required stream 4K video video content.

The Nvidia Shield is possibly the main exception as a device aimed more at gamers, however even that has a processor from 2019 in it and quite a limited amount of ram for a gaming device in 2023.

Many OEM's don't really want to support smart devices once they have been shipped, so eventually you are going to be stuck with an old Android version newer versions of emulators won't support. Custom rom support for most Android TV devices is not the same as it is for popular Android devices either.

I think you are far better with totally open PC based hardware and installing something like Lakka: https://www.lakka.tv/ as you are essentially running Linux you know the hardware will be supported pretty much indefinitely. Very small x86-64 based PC hardware exists that is a similar size to an Android TV box, or even more open ARM based hardware like the Raspberry Pi.

Reactions: Flame

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: