Hacking I'm really lost over here. Maybe I should give up softmodding...

scarednoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I have my wii for a week and I thought it would be simpler to play backup games. I've been reading tens of posts and making tens of searches on google and gbatemp always comes up. The problem is that, with so much information, one gets really confused... and I'm about to give up this whole thing even though I bought the wii on the condition (to myself) to play backup games.

SO, PLEASE HELP.

Here's what I have right now.

European wii version 3.4E
Homebrew Channel (installed through bannerbomb and bootmii -- didn't install bootmii or DVDx that came with the package)
couldn't install the cIOS (error because of version 3.4E, probably I guess)

And these are my questions.

1- shouldn't I upgrade to version 4 to play wii sports resort or wii active?
2- what to do (install) to be 100% sure the wii won't brick? PRELOADER? STARTPATCH? How do I do that and where do I get them.
3- how do I get to install the cIOS (step by step)
4- I should install the backup loader then, right?
5- After doing all the above is it safe to update from the net on wii or from a game (as long as it is PAL) or I can't do it in any cirscumstances? Which updates should I use then.

I know these are a lot of questions but I really couldn't figure these out by myself and I've been reading forums for two weeks now.

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted-171178

Google "Waninkoko 4.1 updater"
Preloader and Bootmii.
Google "Cios rev13"
Click Web install
?????
PROFIT!
Yes
You'll be on 4.1 so no disk will ask to update.

scarednoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for the two nice answers I got. They've really helped me understand this stuff better. I haven't tried anything in the meanwhile because I'm on vacation and need to get a gamecube controller when I get back home. I need it to use the bootmii since it is installed as IOS. Gonna install preloader afterwards and let's see what happens.

After I have softmodded my wii can I update to whatever version I want safely to play all the recent games?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple of notes:

If you are on 3.4E then more than likely you are not Trucha Bugged so you will be unable to install cIOS until you can Trucha Bug IOS 36. Google Trucha Bug Restorer and follow one of the many guides in the hacking section of the forum to Trucha Bug your system.

With any Trucha Bugged IOS you will be asked to do disc updates if you use 1:1 (exact) backups. You will either need to remove the update partition from your discs before burning or use a usb loader.

It will not brick your system if your do any disc/system updates. Just make sure you DO NOT install any dangerous software packs like: SoftMii, MiiWii, cIOSCORP... After an update you will need to re-Trucha Bug your system. I'd recommend doing a system update to 4.1E, then trucha-bugging your system with Trucha Bug Restorer, then installing a cIOS (probably rev 14), and then your backup launcher.

Good Luck!

sl33p

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ld8oy said:
With any Trucha Bugged IOS you will be asked to do disc updates if you use 1:1 (exact) backups. You will either need to remove the update partition from your discs before burning or use a usb loader.

He could also use a disc loader such as NeoGamma or a Preloader hack to disable updates from disc. USB Loaders are however all sorts of win.

scarednoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks again for your answers. I've been reading a lot and I'm getting more and more informed and more and more confused at the same time.

So I'll ask some more questions and hope for your answers.

Like I said before, I'm on wii 3.4E with bootmii as ISO and Homebrew Channel (didn't backup NAND yet because the gamecube controller I bought doesn't seem to work). Don't have a wifi connection because I'm a bit worried of updates.

I now found out it's a LEH250 Wii so...

What's next?

1- Old8oy said softmii software is dangerous. Does that mean i shouldn't use the Lu64fix?

2- I read somewhere that LEH250 or lu64 can't mess with their ISOs or use cIOS. Does the Trucha Bug Restorer take care of that??

3- Is the UBER SOFT-MOD GUIDE (For all Wii's currently available) the way to go?

4- Since preloader won't run in 3.4E should I still take the risk of a brick until I'm on a recent version (I'd like to go for 4.1)? Don't forget I have bootmii as ISO.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
honeypa said:
Just to let you know that you don't need a gamecube controller to use BootMii

If you install it as an IOS you do need a GC controller. Only the boot2 version supports the power and reset buttons as an alternative. Then again only the boot2 version will give you any brick protection. The IOS version is still good to use to make a NAND backup at all though. In that case, worst case scenario you can have a hardware nand programmer get that nand backup back on your Wii to fix it instead of having to send it to Nintendo.

Anyways, if you are still lost about anything, I suggest you read through the guide in my sig. If you find anything you need to be further explained, you can post in that thread and I can edit the guide further to possibly include an explanation for that if need be.

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
beegee7730 said:
Google "Waninkoko 4.1 updater"
Preloader and Bootmii.
Google "Cios rev13"
Click Web install
?????
PROFIT!
Yes
You'll be on 4.1 so no disk will ask to update.

for step one you need the 4.0 updater.... because the 4.1 updater will fail unless you you use the 4.0 updater first.

scarednoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, there! I finally did it and I wouldn't have made it without your help. I still think the modding scene is so difficult because there are so many sites and forums have so many posts and replies that really confuse a noob like me. Many of these posts are not updated and then it gets even more confusing.

Anyway, it took me about a month of investigation because I'm a cautious guy. I'm glad I am because if I had followed some of the firsts guides and advice I found, I would have bricked my Wii for sure.

So, for all the newbies out there that find this topic here's my advice:

- Read the Noob Starter Guide. It explains everything in detail and gives you a precise idea of the timeline of modding. VERY IMPORTANT.

- Follow the guide * * * Simplistic mod - A MUST FOR ALL NEWBIES * * * , by xzxero. It works for ALL TYPES OF WiiS, with ALL the SYSTEM MENU VERSIONS. It has both an online and an offline method. For the offline one you get to download all the files you need following its method.

- You can also check the guide Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need), HBC + BootMii + NAND + New cIOS + PreLoader + Backup, by Deviyl. It pretty much says the same thing as xzxero's guide but you might want to be sure of what you're doing. I also find this explanation of the Backup launcher part better.

- There is another guide, The UBER Wii Soft-Mod Guide (up to 4.1)(even LU64+), you still might want to read. Same thing though.

OK. This is all you need to know if everything goes right. USE THE FIRST GUIDE and use the other ones to get as much knowledge you can. Take the time to also read the replies before you start modding your Wii.

Thanks to everybody that helped me so far, specially tj_cool for presenting me the solution.

---

However, I still have some problems.

I managed to play a backup game but others won't work. Neogamma R7 gives me ERROR 1101. I've read everywhere that it can be because of the DVD quality. I'm going to buy some VERBATIM media but that may not work either, so I've read.

Any clues or links to a guide on using Neogamma R7? Or other suggestions?

Would backups from a usb or a portable hard drive solve these problems forever?

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
verbatim -r is one of the best to use. i have made 0 coasters using them. usb is nice so you don't need to make backups just throw it on your harddrive and put your originals up for safe keeping. neogamma r7 plays pretty much any game a throw at it. you may need to adjust some setting on it for some games.

scarednoob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for your fast reply, tanis698.

I just don't know what to do about those settings in neogamma r7. Do you know what can be changed or tried?

tanis698

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only settings i have enabled on neogamma 7 is auto force boot language and force video disc. i mostly use use usb loader but neogamma runs fine with settings i have now. wiipower prob can give you more info since i have a 4.1u and you have a e

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol