ROM Hack I'm making a FFIV translation patch...

Slave

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be interested in a Menu/options translation for ASH (Archaic....) on the DS... juste like the options to choose from in battle (atk, def, item, special) and maybe some of the usefull items (revive, potion HP/MP) anyone up for the challenge? :-)

Thanks!

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
Ok ok fine, so whats your plan to make it v1.0? translate the name of the characters. and thats it... finished? is that's what you called ENGLISH PATCH?
hate2.gif

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To those who are asking for a translated script, it's not going to happen!
It's not like this game will not come out in the US! This is not like JUS!
Their reason/goal for the patch is on Page 1, first post.
DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING ELSE. PLEASE READ!!!

Thanks.

Jac834

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok ok fine, so whats your plan to make it v1.0? translate the name of the characters. and thats it... finished? is that's what you called ENGLISH PATCH?
hate2.gif

Answer:

2) I'm sorry that a small amount of you were mislead by the title (read:one guy). We are translating, and it is a patch, so I think the name is fine
tongue.gif
. "Menu Translation Patch" isn't doing our work justice, since we have done menus, items, spells, weapons/armor descriptions of the afore mentioned, monster names, and will soon have just one more thing done. If this still doesn't conform to your beliefs on what makes a Translation Patch, I have a grand idea. I'll divide it into steps to make it easy on you

Also, from what I've been able to understand by reading this thread, they'd have to be able to squeeze more letters into the boxes than they can because 1 kanji does not equal 1 letter but with space constraints it would have to. (Actually, I believe it would be 1 or 2 but the logic remains firm)

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hate2.gif

Answer:

2) I'm sorry that a small amount of you were mislead by the title (read:one guy). We are translating, and it is a patch, so I think the name is fine
tongue.gif
. "Menu Translation Patch" isn't doing our work justice, since we have done menus, items, spells, weapons/armor descriptions of the afore mentioned, monster names, and will soon have just one more thing done. If this still doesn't conform to your beliefs on what makes a Translation Patch, I have a grand idea. I'll divide it into steps to make it easy on you

Literacy is a gift, apparently. Thanks for saving me the trouble
tongue.gif

Div03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically in order to get text working in dialogue they'd have to completely reprogram how text is shown and stored in the memory. This is infinitely times harder than simply changing the 8bit kanji into english letters.

While this took them ~1-2 weeks to get finished, I'd imagine to completely translate it it would take somewhere around a year, or more considering they have only a few people.

That's the difference.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically in order to get text working in dialogue they'd have to completely reprogram how text is shown and stored in the memory. This is infinitely times harder than simply changing the 8bit kanji into english letters.

While this took them ~1-2 weeks to get finished, I'd imagine to completely translate it it would take somewhere around a year, or more considering they have only a few people.

That's the difference.

Just look here: http://mother3.fobby.net/

If any of you have the dedication, skill and time to attempt something like that, please go for it.

...we will all appreciate it greatly when you are done, 6 months after the English version has been released.

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
I think we got a little misunderstanding here. I'm not asking you guys to insert english script. The one im pointing is NAME OF THE PROJECT and the version you make like v0.99. I don't care how hard to insert codes, scripts blah blah.

When you say FFIV translation patch. what do you think to the people who heard about this? What is the first impression comes to their minds? "W0W its english patch for ff4 and now they are v0.99 Nice they are really super duper fast" ( because almost all of the translation group takes 6 months to 2 years to make it v0.98 to 0.99 and to 1.0)

Sorry guys for telling you that this is totally useless, because for my opinion in RPG the main concern is STORY LINE meaning english dialog to understand the quest and to understand the game story. not the description of a weapon, armor, spell blah blah

BelmontSlayer

Pokémon Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think we got a little misunderstanding here. I'm not asking you guys to insert english script. The one im pointing is NAME OF THE PROJECT and the version you make like v0.99. I don't care how hard to insert codes, scripts blah blah.

When you say FFIV translation patch. what do you think to the people who heard about this? What is the first impression comes to their minds?

I think they would have the intelligence to read the thread where it has been mentioned dozens of times that the script is not translated. You are the only person who seems "upset" because they expected a story patch.

Sorry guys for telling you that this is totally useless, because for my opinion in RPG the main concern is STORY LINE meaning english dialog to understand the quest and to understand the game story. not the description of a weapon, armor, spell blah blah

Well, you're the minority. If you don't like the patch then fine. Don't go trolling in my thread because you're too dumb to read a couple of the responses before posting. This patch makes the game much more playable than a story patch ever would. Unless you're one of the people who enjoys using dozens of items and spells to find out which one is the one you want.

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
I think they would have the intelligence to read the thread where it has been mentioned dozens of times that the script is not translated. You are the only person who seems "upset" because they expected a story patch.

If you only say it on your first post, there's no need to read the 2 dozens of page on this thread
hate2.gif
Even in your readme file or wiki you didn't told us that there's no story line
wink2.gif
thats why I post here asking if I've done something wrong on my patch. Because I thought this is "FFIV Translation patch". not Menu, description blah blah or partial patch. (REMEMBER its FFIV translation patch v0.99 meaning its almost done! this is not what I'm expected)

Now I know you cant translate the whole japanese thing or you dont have a plan to do it. BUT you can edit your first post ANYTIME

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

To reiterate what Belmont has clearly stated, most people KNOW the story (It has come out in 1991, 1997, AND 2005 after all), so we were never going to go through that kind of trouble for that one random guy (you) who doesn't know it.

Anyways, you yet again cite you have a problem with the name. I already provided you a solution. Ill paste it back here to help you, since you obviously don't read previous threads. This time in bold, to help your failing eyesight.

A) Download the zip file with the translation patch
B) Left-click the zip file and hit F2
C) Type in whatever name floats your boat. Simple! You could even call it "GTFO this thread" if you so desired!

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
To reiterate what Belmont has clearly stated, most people KNOW the story (It has come out in 1991, 1997, AND 2005 after all), so we were never going to go through that kind of trouble for that one random guy (you) who doesn't know it.

What is this? ALIBI? lol hahaha so you mean they know the story but they dont know where's the fight, magic or items are? nyahahaha

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

What is this? ALIBI? lol hahaha so you mean they know the story but they dont know where's the fight, magic or items are? nyahahaha

In FFIV DS, a game you have never played obviously, there is a Decant Menu where you can add brand-new skills never before seen in any other FFIV game, and in the process you rearrange your moves. Characters that aren't Cecil and Edge will have their "fight" command replaced due to it's uselessness.

So yes thats exactly what I am saying. People will know the 17 year old story, but not Japanese.

And do YOU want to go into combat at the end of the game and go through your 100 items trying to figure out what the mega-elixir is? Then by all means, leave this thread, import the game, and have a blast
smile.gif
Use your High Potion on your dead ally and a phoenix down on Rydia since she is out of MP.

stormwolf18

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
yup, your so called ''translation'' patch IS crap.
what a disapointment it was!!!

btw, i never played that game before, so i dont have a clue what the stroy is all about.

Jac834

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In confusing terms, yes and no. We know where the command for "Fight, Items, Magic, etc." are, but what we don't know is the word for "Potion" or "Phoenix down" in japanese. So before this patch, you could be trying to heal your party members, but end up using something completely useless on accident.

edit: opps, it was answered while I was typing...

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stormwolf, really, crap? Honestly, even McDash doesn't say our patch is crap. That's just blatantly inconsiderate and cruel, considering the weeks we put into it.

Go get FFIV advance if you want the "stroy". And don't come here and insult us like that.

McDash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.soundclick.com
XP
Country
Example: What about if NPC tells you, go to the elders village and change your job to paladin they are located at the north east of the mountain bagitongbobo. What you gonna do? explore the whole ffiv map because you didn't understand the npc, because you are American and he is japanese LOL

But guys, dont hate me for what i have done to you. I only express my impression. like belmont said. Im upset and I admit it. This is my last post and I hope you understand me for what I have done.

I only expected the whole japanese letters in the game is translated to english. Ok have a nice day good luck peace
biggrin.gif

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Example: What about if NPC tells you, go to the elders village and change your job to paladin they are located at the north east of the mountain bagitongbobo. What you gonna do? explore the whole ffiv map because you didn't understand the npc, because you are American and he is japanese LOL

Thats simple

1) 99% of people already know what you are supposed to do, so they will go straight to the mountain "bagitongbobo" (also known as Ordeals)

2) If Cecil was also a vessel of some kind you could explore the whole map, yes. However, considering Dark Knight Cecil can't swim across the world, it comes to light Mysidia is on a rather small continent, with only one way to go.

3) For REAL examples of getting stuck (such as getting a hook affixed to your airship), hints are on the wiki

are you done yet?
Edit: Good.

kenshin9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why we've got people coming in here badmouthing this translation. Yes, this is a translation patch. It translates some Japanese to English. Even the first page says that this will not translate any of the script and names. So yeah, when everything stated for translation is translated, it can be called a 1.0 patch because of its purpose. Just be thankful that we have something to use. This patch is free and not easy work. It's not a matter of just taking the Japanese script and replacing it with English sentences. These are people doing all the work so that we can enjoy this game more. So stop whining and show a little more gratitude.

Besides, most of the people interested in this patch have probably already played the originals. It's a fairly old game, and has been ported a few times already. If you get lost or don't know what to do, just look up a guide for the original game. The story is essentially the same. Or you can just wait until it gets released in the US, if it does.

On a side note, I want to say thanks for the translation. It certainly has been of some help to me. I've been playing through this with no problems. I'm just about to leave Mysidia.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe