Hacking If Gateway came out with 2.0 today what would you do?

When are you planning to update to 2.0 when it comes out

• Total voters

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I simply want Region-Free on my cartridges, and I don't own a gateway, I'm just going to wait until either:

A) They annouce that the bricking code is gone
B) The geniuses in contact with gbatemp can confirm the code is gone
C) Homebrew advances to the point where this is doable without gateway involved (Though it will be a few months at the very very least)
D) MT-Card comes out with a viable alternative

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would update right away. They do (their own) good work and wouldn't release something that would mess up their customer's 3DS'.

Also, this whole "bricking their competitors systems" fiasco is dumb. They didn't intentionally create some code to break the real nand. They created code to prevent people from accidentally updating their systems and found it to be too dangerous for the public, so they disabled it. It was the cloners that stole their work that removed the blocks and caused this mass confusion.

Reactions: ryanmg

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
I'd wait for the guinea pigs to try it out and update after a few weeks. I don't really need multirom yet and I still need to finish the games I have purchased (Zero Escape has taken 26 hours of my time already but I think I still have some to go).

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
I would update right away. They do (their own) good work and wouldn't release something that would mess up their customer's 3DS'.

Also, this whole "bricking their competitors systems" fiasco is dumb. They didn't intentionally create some code to break the real nand. They created code to prevent people from accidentally updating their systems and found it to be too dangerous for the public, so they disabled it. It was the cloners that stole their work that removed the blocks and caused this mass confusion.

Are you on drugs?

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Are you on drugs?

Some people haven't read through the threads. They don't know about the mountain of evidence of a kill code existing - one lousy but notable one being that Gateway has never denied creating it and they keep referring to "it" as if some "it" really existed.

In addition to the code actually being there in the launcher, up for viewing...

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it supports drag&drop mutlirom, I would download it, but first I'd buy a Gateway, since I don't have one yet. No, I wouldn't avoid buying one due to this tempest in a teapot.

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you on drugs?

I'm not on drugs. I just keep an open mind and don't just jump on the "blame game" bandwagon created by people who look for any reason to put down a company when it is obviously their competitor's fault.

As I stated in another thread that nobody seemed to pay attention to because they are so stuck to the opinions of others against Gateway -

---------------------
Has anybody ever thought to look into the idea that this "malicious code" that Gateway put in their launcher could just be the anti-"accidental update" code that they decided not to release with the 2.02b launcher?

Why did they leave that code in if it could brick the system? They could have left this code in as it would have taken a while to remove every trace of it which would delay the release of the update (which would piss people off) but disabled it (and put checks in the launcher) in order to prevent people from bricking their 3DS' using the 2.02b launcher.

From what I read, the 3DS bricking occurs when people are using modified launchers and leave the settings screen while in emunand. What was the reason for the accidental updates to the main nand when people were just trying to update their emunands? They were leaving the settings screen then updating their 3DS. Gateway was working on a way to prevent this.

My thought on this is that the cloners bypassed the code that disabled this unfinished feature which is causing the bricks.

They even stated on their site -

2.02b now available

23/12/2013
First of all, thanks to everyone who has been testing our public beta.

We mentioned previously that we would have a solution against accidental updates, but we decided not to release this just yet.
While we did succeed in preventing accidental updates for our test 3DS unit, it took trial and error to get it in that state, and we bricked the unit many times before succeeding.
Ultimately we decided that it was too dangerous for public use right now.
----------------------------

This means that the Gateway programmers obviously were working on something that would brick consoles, but they disabled it. It was the cloners who re-enabled this code.

Relenting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'm not on drugs. I just keep an open mind and don't just jump on the "blame game" bandwagon created by people who look for any reason to put down a company when it is obviously their competitor's fault.

As I stated in another thread that nobody seemed to pay attention to because they are so stuck to the opinions of others against Gateway -

---------------------
Has anybody ever thought to look into the idea that this "malicious code" that Gateway put in their launcher could just be the anti-"accidental update" code that they decided not to release with the 2.02b launcher?

Why did they leave that code in if it could brick the system? They could have left this code in as it would have taken a while to remove every trace of it which would delay the release of the update (which would piss people off) but disabled it (and put checks in the launcher) in order to prevent people from bricking their 3DS' using the 2.02b launcher.

From what I read, the 3DS bricking occurs when people are using modified launchers and leave the settings screen while in emunand. What was the reason for the accidental updates to the main nand when people were just trying to update their emunands? They were leaving the settings screen then updating their 3DS. Gateway was working on a way to prevent this.

My thought on this is that the cloners bypassed the code that disabled this unfinished feature which is causing the bricks.

They even stated on their site -

2.02b now available

23/12/2013
First of all, thanks to everyone who has been testing our public beta.

We mentioned previously that we would have a solution against accidental updates, but we decided not to release this just yet.
While we did succeed in preventing accidental updates for our test 3DS unit, it took trial and error to get it in that state, and we bricked the unit many times before succeeding.
Ultimately we decided that it was too dangerous for public use right now.
----------------------------

This means that the Gateway programmers obviously were working on something that would brick consoles, but they disabled it. It was the cloners who re-enabled this code.

I don't think an accidental update sets the byte size to 0.

dagro

Trophies
XP
Country
you supporters of gateway are pretty quick on this...
Why?

You can't trust them just because they released the first publicly available cart to play 3DS games.
Sure, they have proved to be quick on updates and the cart works, but how can you trust them... They are some random company we had never heard of until they hyped this up, then released the working cart. That doesn't make them trustworthy. Just look at all these supposed brick codes that are in the cart.
What if they go rogue? Take the money of thousands, hype an update, ruin lots of 3DS systems, it would be the biggest news since DS flashcarts began. They could ruin sales, they could RUIN sales for LOTS of companies selling and producing carts. Yeah their company goes down, but it goes down and everyone's going to remember them for years. And they ruined other cards potential sales.
What are you going to do? Sue them? I mean you wern't doing anything illegal when buying the cart to play pirated games, then you didn't go download any 3DS ROMs, obviously.

I am not going to be a test subject as I can barely afford a secondary 3DS (got mine on sale) but I would like to correct you here
1) Firstly, they didn't hype shit they were the ONLY card allowing roms to run so its naturals all the pirates would jump on the boat for a ride.
2) Trust? Well they gave what they promised (and a bit more unneeded crap) but hey atleast they delivered on their words didn't they? Look at the R4i Gold watchmacallit (and the rebrands it produced), they PROMISED original work and if you need proof that they are not producing original work then you need to browse this forum slightly more.
3) I see only ONE user on this forum stating gateway bricked his consoles (and looking at his previous history his card was faulty, which may have triggered the brick) EDIT: Forgot to mention Gateway has offered replacement if it is indeed their carts fault, I don't see your friends at R4i doing this?
4) To be honest they gave enough to run away with money now if they want I mean come on $60-80 for a card that can play ALL games (except pokemon/animal crossing)
5) If gateway goes rouge nothing new will come so yea sales will go for 'other companies' but what do you expect they aren't producing a product that can sell by their own methods.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
2) Trust? Well they gave what they promised (and a bit more unneeded crap) but hey atleast they delivered on their words didn't they? Look at the R4i Gold watchmacallit (and the rebrands it produced), they PROMISED original work and if you need proof that they are not producing original work then you need to browse this forum slightly more.

Could you link me to where they said this?

Although I don't believe that what they were doing by ripping-off Gateway's firmware was a good thing to do in the first place, I don't really recall them ever actually shooting out a bold-faced lie as big as this.

This is not meant in a derogatory way, don't take it as one.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Could you link me to where they said this?

Although I don't believe that what they were doing by ripping-off Gateway's firmware was a good thing to do in the first place, I don't really recall them ever actually shooting out a bold-faced lie as big as this.

This is not meant in a derogatory way, don't take it as one.

As a R4i customer, you should read their site news so you would know this:
A post made by a sales representative of R4i:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/wow-r4i-gold-3ds-deluxe-edition-released-a-new-video.358079/

Reactions: Huntereb

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do it oh hell yes...................especially if it had muti-rom support. If the only improvement is Nand game saving then maybe wait, but I have been on Gateway since day one and never really had any problems. I never had the save problems, I never had hardware problems, never had emunand update problems, nothing. It has been a great product for me so why not trust them. On 2.01b one time I got the grey bars but even that wasn't a problem.

We need more proof (as in many more testimonials) that authentic Gateway code is bricking people before I am going to believe that it is.

I would like to add one point to all this 'bricking' talk.................system modifications, cfw, flashing firmware, softmods/hardmods have always carried the risk of bricking or trashing your system...........Additionally the Gateway code is Beta and running Beta firmware also carries its own risk. Now in this particular case it appears to be malicious code by Gateway and total lameness by the clone teams to release it but it doesn't matter because people have gotten bricked since forever when using this stuff.............What we need is a good pandoras battery trick for 3DS.

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gateway specifies in their 2.0b2 message that they "bricked -the unit-" many times. They might have a way to recover these bricks we see everywhere.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway specifies in their 2.0b2 message that they "bricked -the unit-" many times. They might have a way to recover these bricks we see everywhere.

I agree they have to have a way there is no way they would test stuff and have millions of 3ds systems laying around. they would have to have a way to bring that 1 3ds back to live over and over. it would cost to much to test their software out if they had to keep getting another 3ds system to continue their work.

maybe they can provide a locations and a way that the bricks that did come from gateway cards they can send them the information to them in a email.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not going to be a test subject as I can barely afford a secondary 3DS (got mine on sale) but I would like to correct you here
1) Firstly, they didn't hype shit they were the ONLY card allowing roms to run so its naturals all the pirates would jump on the boat for a ride.
3) I see only ONE user on this forum stating gateway bricked his consoles (and looking at his previous history his card was faulty, which may have triggered the brick) EDIT: Forgot to mention Gateway has offered replacement if it is indeed their carts fault, I don't see your friends at R4i doing this?
4) To be honest they gave enough to run away with money now if they want I mean come on $60-80 for a card that can play ALL games (except pokemon/animal crossing)
5) If gateway goes rouge nothing new will come so yea sales will go for 'other companies' but what do you expect they aren't producing a product that can sell by their own methods.
To 1, so if I make a product (that hasn't been put in stores yet), and it's the first of its kind, and I make a video about it to gain popularity, is this not hyping it up? This is exactly what gateway did.

To 2, that doesn't make them trustworthy. A trustworthy company is a company that's been around for years and has never had big issues. This is a company that showed up last year and has made 1 product. It works, but how can you call them trustworthy?

To 3, I know that there hasn't been any gateway confirmed bricks however I did say "Just look at all these supposed brick codes that are in the cart."

To 4, work on a card that works, produce a few updates, gain lots of customers and people supporting it, then turn around and drop support, and just leave. It's not impossible and it can happen anytime. The card hasn't even been out for a year

To 5, I meant that if gateway goes rogue and this code that can brick consoles does prove to be real and consoles end up getting bricked, nobody is going to buy 3DS flashcarts, in fear that this will happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet