Hacking If Gateway came out with 2.0 today what would you do?

When are you planning to update to 2.0 when it comes out

• Total voters

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway specifies in their 2.0b2 message that they "bricked -the unit-" many times. They might have a way to recover these bricks we see everywhere.

I believe they also have a method to fix the bricked consoles as well. It's hard to say if their method will work since the clones modified their code, but that's probably what they are investigating.

Another thought is that they won't release this method while the clone fanboys are pissing on them since it will make them look guilty and only give these haters more fuel for their hate-filled fire.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone over at maxconsole asked if they had their wifi on when I got bricked. I wonder if Nintendo pushed a update without their knowing that would brick their system. cause the user isn't going to know just only blame gateway. the user isn't going to ever figure it out that it was Nintendo cause the system is bsod.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
someone over at maxconsole asked if they had their wifi on when I got bricked. I wonder if Nintendo pushed a update without their knowing that would brick their system. cause the user isn't going to know just only blame gateway. the user isn't going to ever figure it out that it was Nintendo cause the system is bsod.

We already discussed in another thread that Nintendo would never deliberately brick consoles, they'd get sued.

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already discussed in another thread that Nintendo would never deliberately brick consoles, they'd get sued.

how do we know that. there would be no trace or trail of Nintendo doing anything people wont have anyone to blame but gateway cause of all the hype going around cause the finger is pointed at gateway.

C RONALDO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how do we know that. there is no trace or trail of Nintendo doing anything people wont have anyone to blame but gateway cause of all the hype going around.

My wifi was off when I got bricked! I was playing mario and luigi, put it in sleep for 2 hours, open it and it was freeze, turn my 3ds off then turn it on and that ****ing blue screen!

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch sorry to hear that.

I think gateway should release the 2.0 final ASAP with a note saying sorry for what happen and issues a fix or something to confort the ones that had their system bricked due to the use of their firmware if in fact it was do to their firmware. to show how sincere they are and to show that they aren't going to bail now that they see what has happened.

Lyrra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the delays, I lost all hope to see the release of the 2.0 update (I've been waiting since October). And with this whole bricking situation, I'm pretty sure they ran away! However, if they do release the 2.0, I'll update ASAP.

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would I do, eh?
If the bricking code turned out to still be present in the final, I wouldn't be using it until someone successfully patches it (and any other potential uglies) out.
I'm not comfortable with that shitcode running in the background. If and when a comparable alternative to Gateway's launcher.dat arrives, I'll probably be jumping ship.
In the meanwhile, I may solder in a way to dump/flash my nand, proceed to update to 7.1.0, and then continue playing my eshop titles.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

inuyasha555

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would use it anyway. Gateway has stated if you use only their product and it causes a brick, they'll fix or replace the console if it comes down to that.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it came out, I wouldn't use it, unless they specifically state the bricking code has been removed, and it can be confirmed by the tech wizards here on GBATemp.
why would gw admit to bricking code being removed, wouldn't that be like admitting it was there in the first place, which they've had plenty of opportunities to already admit to it. fat chance they will bow down to any request like that.

back on topic now - when is the new 2.0 final being released, I can't wait.

Kallo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the delays, I lost all hope to see the release of the 2.0 update (I've been waiting since October). And with this whole bricking situation, I'm pretty sure they ran away! However, if they do release the 2.0, I'll update ASAP.

This. Based on their earlier response to the situation Gateway doesn't seem to have realized what a blow to consumer confidence this fiasco is. When they do they might consider dropping Gateway support and starting over with another brand, as at this point new consumers are unlikely to purchase something that has been tainted by such unethical business practices. This would have the bonus benefit of having everyone with a <4.5 3DS (a shrinking market) have to buy their product again.

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can say this.

I've got a Gateway. Bought it about a week after release. But after this? I've got concerns about using it.

One Empty is out, I plan to get one to use instead.

hiron

Trophies
XP
Country

This makes me think, why does GW even use this brickcode? According to them, the clones dont have updateable FPGA so they cant copy the next patch anyway. So no Pokemon X/Y and multirom for clones. GW doesnt need this brickcode to prevent clones from copying.

The only reasons I can think of it:

-Clone cards do have updateable FPGA

or

-GW cant get multirom or other features to work thus try to scam as much people as possible then runs away. Pretty logical with the send your bricked console to them stuff. Also explains why fw 2.0 takes such a long time to finish.

So much for my theories. Its just a theory so take it with a grain of salt.

keubibo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will update it after 1 day when it was released. I have to wait for a longgggggggggggggggggggggg... time to see Fw 2.0 Final which include multirom support...etc :mellow: . I hope that GW will release Fw 2.0 Final "soon" enough as they said. Ofcourse i don't want to be confused by anything else which can f*ck my N3DS. :O

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would wait to see what people uncover looking at the update to see If they changed the bricking code.
Now if gateway said they removed the brick code and replaced it with another type of protection that will screw over clones but not damage hardware I would update no problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: